Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Summer Weight Jacket?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:01 AM
BurninOil
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Summer Weight Jacket?

My local HD dealership is having a heck of a sale on the Men's Ride Ready Switchback Jacket ($150). The price is great---but I would want to add the FXRG armor--additional $80 (doesn't come with it). So around $230 total.
Pros: Looks good, versatile, some protection
Con: Armor not built in (might shift a bit?), Might not be as protective as...

However I am also looking at the Motoport Kevlar jacket ($450) with its liner ($150).
Pros: Excellent Protection (Kevlar!), built in armor (seems like it is good)
Cons: Price! Yikes! Doesn't look too good.

Does anyone have any thoughts? Other options?
Also---I am noticing HD is coming out with new jackets---anyone have any ideas (hopes) that their FXRG line might come out with a textile summer weight jacket?

Old 02-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Moe55
Supporter
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

A few years ago I bought a First Gear mesh jacket for the summer. It is great, it is cooler than riding in just a T-shirt. Comes with armor and rain liner, it was around $120.00 sure it is more now. Now only wear leather jacket when it turns cold.

Harley makes a nice jacket but you can get great jackets without the HD logo for much less.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:15 AM
bikehe
Tourer

I have a motoport airmesh jacket and think its one of the best I own. I use mine for all 4 seasons. The armor stays where it is too. Expensive yes but theyre a very well made jacket. I didnt get the under jacket and just wear my own cold weather gear under it. What ever makes ya tick

Old 02-08-2011, 10:21 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just don't see the point in wearing a jacket in the summer. I get the whole protection thing, but I guess I just consider it "acceptable risk". And yes, I've wrecked before.
Maybe because I live in South GA and it's so damn hot here, there's no way I'm wearing a jacket in the summer. However, I do work on a DoD installation and have to wear long sleeves on base, but I only put them on right outside the gate and then take them off immediately after I roll out of the gate.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:23 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you tried MotorcycleGear.com? Used to be NewEnough. From time to time they have some killer deals. I bought a First Gear armored jacket for $75 last year as part of a closeout. Looks like they are down to $40 now, but limited in sizes and colors. Can't beat it. Here's the link.

BTW, the one I ordered ran a bit tight.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:28 AM
BurninOil
Novice

Originally Posted by bluffalobob
Have you tried MotorcycleGear.com? Used to be NewEnough. From time to time they have some killer deals. I bought a First Gear armored jacket for $75 last year as part of a closeout. Looks like they are down to $40 now, but limited in sizes and colors. Can't beat it. Here's the link.

BTW, the one I ordered ran a bit tight.
Thanks for the Link. That jacket is pretty much sold out except for a questionable blue color---but dang what a deal! I will cruise that site quite often from now on!

Old 02-08-2011, 10:45 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

I LOVE my switchback 3 in 1.

I love more that i bought it for $100- lightly used.

I hate paying more for the HD logos, BUT the reflective striping is GREAT is the rain or low visibility riding.

It is flexible for temps and moisture. The armour stays in place well.

Easy to reach the zips and adjust for temperature.

good complement of pockets inside and out for phone and ipod, mine has velcro collar and sleeves.

Typical Arizona riding might see a 50º temperature swing during the ride, this jacket covers that.

Mike

Old 02-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Three years ago I bought an HD mesh jacket that was primarily silver in color for $85 list. It had provisions for armor, but they weren't included so I simply swapped the armor (elbows and shoulders) from my FXRG leather jacket when warm weather arrived in metro Atlanta. I also have a medium weight HD textile jacket that has elbow, shoulder, and back armor and a zip out liner for use in mild temps; the leather only gets used when it's 50 or lower.

Lots of non-HD products available at substantially less cost than HD's and I had one but lost it in Sturgis--don't ask how--which led to the purchase of the HD mesh jacket.

Good luck with your search and purchase, and good call on the armor.

Carl

Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of the HD high visibility mesh jackets I picked up last season. It comes with armor in the elbows and shoulders but you can add more in the back if you want to, at an additional cost of course! The jacket, as I recall, was not much over $100. It is extremely cool on hot days and I like the added visibility. Living in Vermont sometimes the days start out a bit on the cool side, so I just throw something on underneath the jacket then take it off once the day warms up. The jacket has done a great job for me.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:18 PM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I bought an HD Mesh coat last spring. It came with a wind liner that works well for cool days not cold days. What impressed me was the pockets for hydra pacs for cooling in the heat of summer. Its a very versatle jacket, not cheap but when I can wear it if different weather I get more use per dollar spent

Quick Reply: Best Summer Weight Jacket?