Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty (ESP)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like everything else on these forums, those that bought the ESP will say it's the cats pajamas and those who didn't buy it will say that it's a waste of money.

Here are some facts to take or leave.

I live in WA state, but bought my ESP with T & W from Jim Palmer at Cutter since it was the best price.

I have 8 dealers within 100 miles of me and none of them would touch Jim's price.

My factory warranty ran out in April 2011.

Since April, I've had my stereo volume control go bad, stripped tranny shift lever replaced and inner primary bearing replaced. All of this cost me $50 instead of $500.

I got no questions and no hassles from Sound HD, even though I bought the ESP..and the bike from other dealers.

I still have 4 1/2 years left on the ESP.

I ride between 10 and 12K a year and plan to keep the bike at least through the warranty and so I'll have 80K on it by the time the ESP runs out, so we'll just have to see if it pays off or not.

Not having to worry about something major going bad has some value....even if nothing major goes bad.

I personally think it is worth it on the newer bikes, especially the Ultras. Just too much stuff that can go bad.

JMHO.. To each his own.

Last edited by Clint55; 11-20-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:54 PM
DXHD $100
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I notice the list of great Mods on some of your threads what does the ESP say about that when trouble hit? A few Mods myself and I have 1 more year on the Factory 2 yrs.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DXHD $100
Well I notice the list of great Mods on some of your threads what does the ESP say about that when trouble hit? A few Mods myself and I have 1 more year on the Factory 2 yrs.
I don't think the warranty completely covers the mods. For example, I asked if my new chrome wheels will be covered under the wheels and tires protection and I was told that if my wheel had to be replaced, I'd only get the replacement cost of the stock wheel.

I had a broken exhaust bracket replaced on my V&H pipes, and the factory warranty didn't cover it, so I doubt an extended warranty would cover it.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:00 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Black_Hog
In Florida the ESP is governed by the Insurance Commission. The dealer can't give you a break on the price. It's state law.

Florida is the only state that does that. I've been told, you can't buy a ESP in another state if you have a Florida registered bike. That sucks in Florida.
do not know where you heard that but if it was from a dealer I would check it out , don't sound right it is a factory warrenty not a state thing

Old 01-15-2012, 06:11 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bought my bike used and asked the dealer bout that and he told me if it was like that when I bought it that it would be covered , might be different on a used bike

Old 01-15-2012, 07:17 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

A lot depends on the dealer . The HD ESP will only cover HD parts on your bike usually with like replacement. Aftermarket parts like a V & h Exhaust would not be covered by a HD ESP. And many SE add ons will not be covered as they are clearly excluded in the contract

Old 03-05-2012, 04:03 PM
mdsmeck
Intermediate

My factory warranty runs out at the end of April...Have been checking all around for the best pricing and as was stated earlier in the thread, please do contact:

Jim Palmer at Kutter HD in Janesville, WI (608-314-1722)
or
Matt Britton at Legacy H-D in Effingham Illinois, 217 342 3494...

The 2 individuals listed above WILL offer you the best deals you can find...

Also, was informed that approx 2 weeks ago they started a plan in which you can finance the ESP - Interest FREE!!!

It's 10% down and you can spread the remainder over 12 - 18 months...Not bad at all...

Mike...

Old 03-05-2012, 04:52 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

JIM PALMER @ Kutter hd did me right...great service

Old 03-06-2012, 03:33 PM
fannin
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mdsmeck

Also, was informed that approx 2 weeks ago they started a plan in which you can finance the ESP - Interest FREE!!!

It's 10% down and you can spread the remainder over 12 - 18 months...Not bad at all...

Mike...
I called my local dealership and they said I could only finance ESP at the time the bike was purchased. Do you know if there's a website this is listed on?

Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Checked around also after my dealer only wanted MSRP. Got a killer deal at Legacy HD.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty (ESP)