Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road glide outer fairing issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:30 PM
scot210
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default road glide outer fairing issues

Have a fun time trying to get my outer fairing back on. Read through most of the threads (I think). One of my problems is when I took off the fairings, inner and outer to replace my bars and get the inner and outer fairings painted, I didn't take any pictures of the wiring bundles and where they were situated. Bad judgement on my part. Anyhow back to the install. I have the inner on and the headlights are out of the outer fairing. I am applying pressure on the outer fairing to try and get the notches onto the radio support bracket. My fear is pushing to hard on the fairing and maybe cracking the fairing in the process. I can see into the inner fairing and it seems like there is nothing binding. Does anyone have pictures of an older Road Glide (mine is a 2000) with the fairing off, so I can see how the wiring is laying inside. And also does anyone have any other tips about getting that dang outer fairing to line up on the bracket hooks. I have walked away from it for the day. Sometimes that helps, come back and I see the problem. Anyhow thanks in advance for any suggestions. Enjoy the weekend.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:00 PM
Beeracuda
Road Master

I just took my inner fairing off to paint it. I didn't take any pictures either. I did mark each cable before I disconnected it. I just made sure the cables were connected correctly and out of the way of the hooks.

The inner fairing is pretty flexible. I wouldn't worry about breaking it. Just take the outer fairing and make sure the little locating blade (that's what I call them) are under the top of the inner fairing, pick it up and push back, then push down. If the wiring is out of the way, it should go right on.

Then you will have to move to the sides and get the blades in the correct position, then screw it all together...

I never take the headlights out like a lot of other people do. I've only done that one time and I wound up taking the fairing back off and putting them in prior to installing it...

Old 05-28-2011, 09:10 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,753 Likes on 940 Posts

Is the inner fairing close to it's original position? I usually mark it where it bolts to the frame to facilitate this. The outer fairing is always a bitch to get on. Make sure that nothing is in the way. With the headlight out this shouldn't be hard to do. Hold the fairing on each side of the headlight opening, line the fairing up with the hooks. You have to push in and up at the same time. When it finally hooks up the fairing will drop down over the hooks and into place. It just takes patience to get the job done.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:28 PM
Glidedsternfan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation May catch some he'll for this but.....

.....try going to roadglide.org join that forum too. There are lots of people there that have been in the same place you are now. You can search through the old threads and find pictures of EXACTLY what you're looking for.
Trust me, it's there.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:39 PM
Coolhawg6622
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would of considered buying a fugly as I like them............until yesterday when I helped a buddy put the outer fairing back on his 2011..........what a pain in the *** getting everything lined up!!!!!! fitment leaves little to be desired.... And whats up with the self tapping screws?? aint no way I will ever own one!! Oh and that headlight trim that you just "pry off" ......Ya right!! good luck.......

Old 05-28-2011, 09:57 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

i pulled mine off (2011) when i installed my new handlebars and it went back on easily. I was working by myself and never had done one before and had zero issues putting it back on. Fit like a glove.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:26 PM
RedDogNC
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolhawg6622
I would of considered buying a fugly as I like them............until yesterday when I helped a buddy put the outer fairing back on his 2011..........what a pain in the *** getting everything lined up!!!!!! fitment leaves little to be desired.... And whats up with the self tapping screws?? aint no way I will ever own one!! Oh and that headlight trim that you just "pry off" ......Ya right!! good luck.......
Maybe that's why Fugly owners are a special breed. I have had mine on and off by myself at lest 10 times now. As long as you read up on all the tricks it isn't really a problem. Now the inner fairing is a whole other animal.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:18 PM
scot210
Tourer

Ok guys, thanks for the response, will keep trying, can't give up now, our riding season is here. Installing stretched rear bags tomorrow, so maybe everything will line up, patience is a virtue, just want it to happen without screwing up the new paint job.
Cheers

Old 05-29-2011, 08:29 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Make sure you check out all of your controls (Radio, Turn Signals, Tach, etc.) before putting the fairing back on. Left the low fuel module unplugged once on mine. I try to tuck all of the wires up on the hooks, and cable tie it back nice and tight.

As far as getting the fairing back on, I don't have the problem that others seem to. Don't worry about cracking the fairing. There is quite a bit of give in it. Line the fairing up centered on the bike. Raise it up over the inner fairing, lower it down, and at the same time push it in. You may have to lean into it. You will feel it snap into place when it is set correctly on the hooks. Check to make sure that the headlight plug is not sticking out the bottom. Then start the top two screws, then the studs and acorn nuts, then start the other four screws. The two long screws go in the bottom holes. Line up the sides as you are setting the screws in. Then tighten everything down. It gets easier the more you do it.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:44 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Coolhawg6622

u need a brain to own a fugly. LMAO

Quick Reply: road glide outer fairing issues