Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Screaming Eagle Road Glide Stereo issues.. Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Harley5227
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Screaming Eagle Road Glide Stereo issues.. Help!!

This is going to take some explaining. I own this bike new from 2000. It now resides in the Colorado mountains and is serviced by Aspen Valley HD. I have been having this problem for several years and the dealer has not been able to get to the bottom of it.. Not for lack of trying I might add.
The dealer sent my Radiosound stereo back to the manufacturer using their exchange program. They sent me a remanufactured one in it's place. It's a cassette not CD.
This occurred last month. I live in Florida and this bike is at my vacation home. I came out to ride in mid May, and picked up the bike at the dealer. They had put in new Hogtunes speakers as well. They said they were not sure if they solved the problem, so just take the bike for the weekend ride, and let us know what's up.

Now for the symptoms. They have been the same over the last several years. When you start the bike cold, it plays fine. Hogtunes or stock speakers make no difference. After the bike has been ridden 10-15 miles the radio problems begin to appear. First gradually and then more severe as the bike is ridden longer.

The radio sound starts breaking up very slightly and then it gets worse with the speakers cutting in an out . After a few hours it is unlistenable. To describe it , it is like a stereo fm signal that is not strong and the sound breaks up. At some point it even cuts out for several seconds at a time. Now here is the crazy part. I believe it is related to turning the throttle, and everything that happens electrically when you do. Yesterday I took the bike up to Independence Pass. By the time I was heading back down, the stereo was awful. Since I was going down hill, I decided to clutch the bike and let the rpms drop to idle speed. Radio returns to normal, sound was fine. Throttle up and distortion reappears .. coast again in neutral sound is fine. Also if you pull up to a light , and get to idle, the radio again is fine. Shut the bike and put on accessory. Perfect .. No distortion. tart up again , and problem reappears. Let bike cool down, or ride the following day, and pattern is exactly the same.
I dropped the bike off after that weekend ride and told them it was exactly the same after new radio and speakers. Since then they state they have literally torn the bike down. Replaced stator, voltage regulator. Went over all wires. Radio sound said take out Hogtunes and put in Harley 8 ohm speakers. Did not help. Harley dealer is tearing their hair out and so am I.. if you have ideas or have had this experience please respond to this post. The bike has only 16K miles o. It and otherwise runs perfectly, so I would like to keep it. Any help would be appreciated so much. Thanks.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:34 AM
kdichs1015
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the exact same issue on my 2001 EGC. I wondered if you had any more progress/info on the fix, and if you had contacted Radiosound for any help.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:43 AM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

It's got to be a wiring issue. Very difficult to diagnose. Definitely some electrical interference. Are the bars wired internally?

Old 08-12-2011, 11:44 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,550 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Have the same bike...antenna connection under the quick-remove tour pak gave me similar, ( though not quite identical,) symptoms. Good Luck!

Old 08-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You may find specific help over at the CVO website. The guys there have experienced just about everything you can with a CVO bike.

I had a similar issue with my 2001 Ultra speedometer and rear speakers. It would act up sporadically and the dealer could not diagnose it. A local independent shop finally solved the problem, broken strands of wire INSIDE the insulation. Can't be seen from the outside, makes just enough connection to work, but stress and vibration causes progressivly worse intermittent problems. I suggest you check wiring in these specific areas.The large bundle on the right side that runs along the side of the neck between the the gas tank and the fairing. It's supported by a loop clamp on the frame and vibration in that specific area weakens and breaks the strands inside the insulation. Follow that same bundle up UNDER the tank. A lot of time there are breaks where the bundle is zip tied to the backbone frame. Sometimes the wires get pinched under the tank.

To do a rudimentary check, turn the bike on (not running and turn on the stereo) reach down and grab the bundle and shake it back and forth and listen for distortion in the stereo. If it happens, take your factory service manual and begin tracing the colored wires. Start from the back of the radio and work back on each wire moving it and jiggling it to try and localize the break. Final isolation of the break can come with an ohm meter.

Since you only have speakers up front, you may not have to check under the tank. The best thing is to do is check the wiring diagram to see where all the speaker wires run and where they are zip tied. The breaks usually occur at stress points.

I may be wrong on all of that but its worth a try based on my experiences. Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 08-12-2011, 12:26 PM
chipishere
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My first thought was spark plug wires.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:23 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,191 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by chipishere
My first thought was spark plug wires.

not me, my first thought was 'must be nice to have a home in florida AND colorado'....
second thought was to look into replacing the cassette unit with a cd unit.

hope you get it sorted out, sorry i was no help

Old 03-24-2012, 08:35 AM
Harley5227
Novice
Default 2000 SE Roadglide radio

Since I began this thread my Colorado dealer has tried changing out major electrical components such as regulator, coil, stator etc. this has not helped. Maybe old fashioned radio noise suppresors would work. They are again trying to cure the previously posted problem.
Got warm enough to take it out to ride and they did reproduce the problem. Getting rid of it seems to be the challenge. Grounds have been checked. Wires gone over for breaks and still no cure. It's not like I am in love with a cassette radio. I would change it out in a heartbeat with a Biketronics rig but I think the problem would persist. Radio has been exchanged at. Radiosound so it's not radio itself. The bike has only 16k miles on it and is immaculate. I hate the idea of trading it in over this problem, but it may come to that. Any recent revelations? Please pass them on.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:57 AM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 235 Likes on 144 Posts

Try using an ipod or mp3 through the aux port & see what happens.

Old 05-27-2012, 08:24 PM
Jliving
Stage II

Having the exact problem on my 2000 cvo road glide. Let me know if you figure it out.

Quick Reply: 2000 Screaming Eagle Road Glide Stereo issues.. Help!!