Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-18-2015, 11:26 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Can't Decide on a Bike, Harley or Victory

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...r-victory.html

ISSUE

Can’t decide between an Harley Davidson Road Glide vs a Victory Cross Country bike. This thread is asking the forum for opinions and discussion about the differences between the two bikes.

While both bikes are good bikes for Cross Country trips, the main issue with Victory bikes is it being hard to find a dealer for servicing.
Print Wikipost

Can't decide on a bike, harley or victory

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 07:56 PM
escalade6103
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

opinion from someone who has a couple years being around both regularly. i doubt the OP is still following this but here's my opinion. my riding buddy has a 2013 victory cross country and he loves it. we rode to sturgis this past year and a ton of other places and not a single time that i was riding with him did anyone compliment me on my bike. they couldnt get enough of the victory. basically if you dont have stretched bags and fender and a big wheel then you just blend in on a harley. now saying that, i really dont care and i will always have a harley cause i dont really care if someone else likes mine or not. i did ride his and i will say that it does handle better, ride smoother, and is faster (both bikes stock). but my SG just fits me and my personality better. its kind of like a mix between the RG and a SG with the way its set up. the victory is a really good bike but it does have a few draw backs from a couple years experience with both.

pros - comfortable, fast, unique, handles like a sports bike, huge bags with easy latches, good stock stereo

cons - handle bar controls feel and look cheap, cant change out stereo, clutch cable has high failure rate (regular cleaning or swap out to hydraulic clutch is a must), exhaust doesnt sound like a harley!

i do have to add that i have asked him if he would get a victory again and he said no. but his reason was he doesnt want to buy the same bike just newer version

Old 01-27-2015, 08:00 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbeard719
Also, I think there is something SIGNIFICANT to be said for riding the brand that invented the motorcycle.
According to Wikipedia, Harley wasn't even close to having invented the 'motorcycle', no matter how much we love our Harley's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_history

Old 01-27-2015, 10:58 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This thread is 4 years old and still pushing buttons, to damn funny. It don't matter what you ride as long as you are riding and happy, who gives a chit what anyone else thinks.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:09 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by my67pnycar
This thread is 4 years old and still pushing buttons, to damn funny. It don't matter what you ride as long as you are riding and happy, who gives a chit what anyone else thinks.

............ the world doesn't work that way. ha!

Old 01-28-2015, 06:23 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
Now that I've encountered the proverbial unicorn. Did your riding style change to move you to a metric or was it dissatisfaction with a Harley? I guess I can't say " I never" anymore.
You've encountered another one.

I went from a 2010 FLHTK to a BMW Adventure to a 2012 FLHTCUSE7 to a BMW K1600 GTL. Having gone from a 900 pound touring bike to the Adventure, I realized there was a lot more to riding than what the Harley Touring frame had to offer. I really tried to love the CVO, but I found that I was pouring money into it trying to make it into something it'd never be.

Harley makes really nice bikes. But for gobbling up serious miles in comfort and being able to carve corners when you get to your destination, there's nothing better (for me) than the K16.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:13 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,296 Likes on 848 Posts

I know a few unicorns myself. Tall long limbed riders who switched to Victory because Victory bikes fit them better than the Harley bikes did.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:35 AM
roadking2014
Road Warrior

victory has the right side drive that puts the bike back in alignment and the gear driven primary with torque comp set up, to me thats good stuff. But they have that hidden mono shock and I like two shocks for the rear. I really think polaris hit a home run with the victory and indian. but I think ducati hit a home run with the streetfighter and KTM hit a home run with their naked bikes.
when you talk about motorcycle development, I look at the ducati engineers that have come up with an engine with no valve springs, the cam has followers that raise the valve and close the valve, no more floating a valve and it has variable valve timing. slick stuff
Since Daimler rolled out the Reitwagen in 1885 motorcycles have been improving.
I think and dont judge me, Harley Davidson has the best thing rolling on two wheels in the road glide. I'de say its the most nimble bike built. I would love to chase a rabbit through a busy mall parking lot on one.
The question is "whats right for you"? Get one that you feel you have complete command of and wont spend a bazillion to reengineer.
brand labels are for teenagers and fashion flu flu's.
If you havent pushed it to the edge of the envelope and smiled then you should have just bought a video.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:51 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by orangevette
But they have that hidden mono shock and I like two shocks for the rear.
A monoshock is a far superior way of suspending the rear of a motorcycle.

Originally Posted by orangevette
I think and dont judge me, Harley Davidson has the best thing rolling on two wheels in the road glide. I'de say its the most nimble bike built. I would love to chase a rabbit through a busy mall parking lot on one.
Respectfully, there are dozens of bikes that are far, far more nimble than a Roadie.

Old 01-28-2015, 09:48 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
A monoshock is a far superior way of suspending the rear of a motorcycle.

Respectfully, there are dozens of bikes that are far, far more nimble than a Roadie.
It's always interesting to watch guys like you try to defend your choice of bikes by knocking Harley performance. As I said earlier, some folks don't have the soul for American Iron.

Brother, it's not about performance with Harley's, it's about the stirring of primal spirit that lets us feel independent from being common. My Yamaha performs better than my SG or Evo in every way, but it lacks the sensuous lines, the smell of a working machine, and the feel of hard steel.

You don't get, I understand. But the developers of the Indian did. Even though they brag the Indian performance numbers are better than Harley in performance, you have to laugh because the Indian performance is still nothing compaired to my metric that cost a 3rd the price. Yet, I think that Polaris is capturing the essence of what makes the Harley so popular with the Indian because they stayed with that American style that even the Victory misses.

So, go a head and try to justify turning away from the American icon of motorcycling. Honestly noboby really cares except you. Until you can get past that, your a metric rider stuck in Harley forum.

Beary

Old 01-28-2015, 10:17 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by beary
It's always interesting to watch guys like you try to defend your choice of bikes by knocking Harley performance. As I said earlier, some folks don't have the soul for American Iron.

Brother, it's not about performance with Harley's, it's about the stirring of primal spirit that lets us feel independent from being common. My Yamaha performs better than my SG or Evo in every way, but it lacks the sensuous lines, the smell of a working machine, and the feel of hard steel.

You don't get, I understand. But the developers of the Indian did. Even though they brag the Indian performance numbers are better than Harley in performance, you have to laugh because the Indian performance is still nothing compaired to my metric that cost a 3rd the price. Yet, I think that Polaris is capturing the essence of what makes the Harley so popular with the Indian because they stayed with that American style that even the Victory misses.

So, go a head and try to justify turning away from the American icon of motorcycling. Honestly noboby really cares except you. Until you can get past that, your a metric rider stuck in Harley forum.

Beary
Well yeah, other than the 10 year old Softail I've had since new that's pictured in my signature....

Harleys - like any other bike - are a collection of metal and plastic. There's no "soul", and the bike sure as hell doesn't make the man (and if anyone believes it does, they've got issues).

I've enjoyed every one of my Harleys, but a statement like the one I quoted is ridiculous...Nimble Harley's ain't.

And I don't need to defend the bike I ride to anyone, especially some stranger on the internet. I'm ecstatic with my bikes. Hopefully you are too.

Just don't pass off the BS about "soul" or "icons". Neither means a thing when the rubber hits the road.

Quick Reply: Can't decide on a bike, harley or victory