Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Ultra Limited with car tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:02 AM
LARGEANDREW
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Ultra Limited with car tire

Just installed a rear car tire.
Used a Dunlop 3D Wintersport run flat. 195/55-16.
Also installed a Doran tire pressure monitor as well with 90 degree metal valve stems.

Looking at the tire before install I was uncertain it would actually fit.
But it did with no modifications required. Rear wheel is the stock 5" wide rim.

This is the first time I've used a car tire on a Harley. In the recent past I've used them on other brands of bikes and loved them.

I don't really care about the greater mileage you get. If that was the only advantage I'd probably pass and stay with MC tires.

I frequently travel 2 up with my wife and we don't mind exceeding the interstate speed limits. Even out in West Texas with the posted limit of 80mph it's only a suggestion to me.

What I do like is;
1) run flat....no blow outs at highways speed. I've never had to find out but the claim is you can go 50 miles at 55 mph with absolutely no air in the tire.
You could always plug this tire on the side of the road and go on with your trip. I always carry a tire inflater and plugs with me.

2) Much higher load capacity. This is a 900 lb. bike with my large *** upon it and wife ( she's not large) and fully loaded with gear. I don't see a down side to this.

3) Oh yeah....higher mileage. Well why not? It's a plus.

4) V rated speed. You can probably get this and maybe more with a MC tire. So it really not a plus but it don't hurt.

5) For my kind of long diatance riding it's like the bike is on rails. Smooth and solid as hell.

In the interest of fairness I will list the downsides as well

1) Takes a little getting used to. You definitely have to use more counter steering

2) Tire will try to follow the humps in the middle of a road. It will kind of tail walk up them. Again all this takes is some getting used to but it's not really a plus so I list it here.

OK. That's it.
I'm not trying to convert anyone.
Just reporting what I think. Take this with as many grains of salt as seems appropriate to you.

See ya down the road,
Andy

Old 08-26-2011, 08:11 AM
spiker
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really like one on my 09 road king.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LARGEANDREW
...................and wife ( she's not large) ...............
Nice save.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:21 AM
LARGEANDREW
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Texas Fat Boy
Nice save.

This ain't my first rodeo

Old 08-26-2011, 08:23 AM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Saw a bike (non-Harley) go by the other day with a car tire rear. Watched him take a corner. Nothing seemed minimal in terms of road contact compared to a cycle specific tire. I just changed my rear with a new Metzler. The old Avon I took off was pretty dang flat across the middle. Try to hit twisties as often as possible, but the reality is I and probably running the middle of the tire 85-90 of the time the wheel is rolling. Sounds like past experience with the car ties has been good to you. Hope it work as good on the Harley for you as it has in the past.

Adam

Old 08-26-2011, 08:34 AM
LARGEANDREW
6th Gear

Yeah, the notion that a car tire rolls up on a square edge doesn't seem to be true.
I've seen videos ( similar to what you saw in person) and the tire keeps more contact than you'd imagine.

Of course not just any car tire will work as well as some.

I started off doing this on a Goldwing and the info on them and car tires is enormous. I did a lot of reading before I jumped in.

The car tires they think performs and handles the best are the Dunlop 3d Wintersport that I'm using, the Pirelli Eufori and a Kumho. All of these are run flat.
The advantage of run flat ( beside the run flat part) is stiffer sidewalls and that seems to be a good thing.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by LARGEANDREW
Yeah, the notion that a car tire rolls up on a square edge doesn't seem to be true.
Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaIj1...eature=related

Old 08-26-2011, 09:01 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow... a cat thread, Ohlins thread, and now a car tire thread all in the same day! I'm buying a powerball ticket on the way home today.

Seriously though, glad you like the car tire. I'd like to ride one sometime just to see what it's like.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:08 AM
LARGEANDREW
6th Gear

Originally Posted by KCFLHTK

I suppose it's all in the eyes of the beholder but when I watch the video I see contact on the bottom of the tire when it's cornering along with the edge as well.

At any rate it doesn't have the feel of tipping up on to a sharp corner when you use one.

I listed the tires I know work well. Some other types/ brands have been tried and they sucked.
Maybe they sucked because they had too sharp a transition from bottom to side.
I can't answer that. I had no desire to replicate failure and went with what I've read that worked.
This is my 3rd car tire. I've used the same brand and model every time. It works for me.

I wish I'd listed 3 more things that are good;

1) Fabulous in the rain. It's amazing how they stick in the wet.

2) Better braking.

3) Stable if you happen to find yourself on gravel. Like unexpected detours you can run across out in the boondocks.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convert anyone. Party on.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:10 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHTK
I can see where it roll up on the edge when you are doing tight circles in a church parking lot with what looks like too much air in the tire, but for general driving it stays mostly on the flat of the tread...

Quick Reply: 2011 Ultra Limited with car tire