Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide aka Evil Twin

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 07:23 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts
Default Road Glide aka Evil Twin

Finally picked up the 12 Road Glide Custom. Dealer had to install cruise control because HD had supplier problems.

Put only 30 yesterday getting home. Went out today for 137 mile test ride. Temps in the mid 50's and high gusty winds.

I have a 10 Ultra that I have put 18,000 miles on so this was to be a comparison ride.

The RG shined where I expected it to. Cross winds from the west exceeded 30 mph. Took highway 78 north and the bike tracked as if it was only a breeze. Just a relaxed grip on the handlebars.

The 103 does have a noticeable improvement in pep over my 96's. Was even smoother at idle which surprised me. The shifting was smooth but try as I might it would not go into neutral at a stop. Clutch was dragging. I'll take care of that myself.

And by the way. It is not "Fugly" it is one beautiful machine.

I did not add gas yet to track the first tank but at 167 miles on the clock the gauge seemed about where my Ultra would show at the same point. I did expect it to use more.

Now to stop the posters that just pass on what they heard like sheep and don't understand what they are talking about so they wind up sounding like fools. Yes the headlights don't turn in a LOW speed turn. Neither do Gold Wings, BMW and almost all other brands of touring bikes. But then neither do cars, trucks or buses. And guess what? It does not mean squat. Come to a stop T intersection, stop turn and proceed. The spread of the beam sweeps the turn just as a car's does and miracle! One can see around the turn.

Then on the highway at speed a curve comes up. The headlights point in exactly the same direction as a bat wing would counter steering through the curve. So give it up to attempt a feeble dig at a fixed fairing only only shows the level of ignorance some have.

The RG is superior in windy conditions for touring than the other touring HD's.

I have head this also. "The gauges are farther away." Yes DUH! about 8 inches and what does that mean? Maybe you're old and blind? Did not have a problem reading any gauge at all.

That is it for my preemptive strikes.

The black denim paint makes the bike look evil. Hence the nick name "Evil Twin. I like the look without the trunk. I do have quick release sissy bar and luggage rack to install when I go on a tour. I will attach a T-Bag to that.

I was surprised at the sound. It seemed quieter than my stock exhaust Ultra. When I tour I want quiet.

It is not "Fugly" It is one beautiful machine. Very sophisticated and refined not like my Ultra a.k.a. "Buick".

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-14-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 08:21 PM
caspr2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice ride. They are a dream to ride in crosswinds and when passing semi trucks. My old Ultra would be all over the road passing one when there was a cross wind.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:25 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice looking piece for sure and great review. So you keeping both or you converting all the way?

Old 10-14-2011, 08:54 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 655 Posts

Dont turn too sharp or your cigarette lighter will hit the tank.

Old 10-14-2011, 08:57 PM
caspr2
Tourer

Originally Posted by FlamedFXR

?????

Old 10-14-2011, 09:02 PM
swaite
Road Captain

I just moved from a road king to the glide and it is a great scoot. BTW black denim is a bad *** color if I say so myself!

Attached Thumbnails Road Glide aka Evil Twin-dsc_0773.jpg  
Old 10-14-2011, 09:02 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,671 Likes on 5,196 Posts

When I made the change to the frame mounted fairing.
My first was an RG have a RGU now I see a third in the future. Not looking back.

Old 10-14-2011, 09:18 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats! Those are great bikes. I test rode a CVO Road Glide and fell for it hard. When it's time to sell the King, a Road Glide will be its replacement. By then the 110 c.i. engine should be standard.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:15 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by caspr2
?????

Somebody actually asked me if the cigarette lighter hits the tank when I turn....I have a Road Glide too.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:36 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by FlamedFXR
........... that wouldn't be any fun now, would it ? ....

Quick Reply: Road Glide aka Evil Twin