Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Vance And Hines FuelPaks Defective?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Received 520 Likes on 268 Posts
Question Are Vance And Hines FuelPaks Defective?

For the second time in less than a year I've had a Vance and Hines Fuel Pak become defective. Vance And Hines installed this as well as a set of there true dual pipes at a BikeWeek in Daytona Beach, FL about two seasons ago on a 2008 Road Glide. I still have the original box and paperwork it came in. In both cases the plastic plug that attaches to the bikes ECM cracked on the side, thus causing the Fuel Pak to malfunction and seriously effect the bikes running performance. I know this because when I removed it and ran it on the HD ECM, it ran fine. Before I waste my time calling them to see if they can repair/replace the plug, does anyone know if they do repair them or just sell them new? I still can't figure out why it keeps cracking. Only thing I can figure is the place they put it, the friction of the seat and the engine running may be the cause but this is only an assumption. There is no where else to put it due to the ECM is dead center, flat under the seat so they just Velcro secured it right on top of the ECM. It took about a year for it to happen between the last time and now. Also... I am running the pipes directly off the bikes original HD ECM. Is it effecting the bikes performance in a bad way and am I hurting it by running it on the ECM alone? Has this happened to anyone else here? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Dispatch; 10-27-2011 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Additions.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:01 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Damn I don't know what to tell you. I have ran FP for years,and never one problem. The ol has one on her sportster. If you have went through more than 1,there is a problem somewhere with your bike. Either that or you just have the worst luck ever.

Old 10-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Not sure whats what but I need to know what I can do. It's like everytime you put an after market accessory on your bike theres a problem.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:30 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Got a FP on my 08 SG with 36K miles of trouble free use. But the box is mounted under the left side cover and the harness runs across to the ECM

Old 10-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Exclamation Oh No!

Originally Posted by DuraGlide
Got a FP on my 08 SG with 36K miles of trouble free use. But the box is mounted under the left side cover and the harness runs across to the ECM
Damn It!

Old 10-27-2011, 08:56 PM
bubbabear
Road Master
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Got one on my 05 ultra with 48,000 miles, no problems.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:59 PM
sniperduce
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

20,000 miles & no problems since 2008 for us and the FP....

Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Question Any RG?

Are there any Road Glide owners?

Old 10-30-2011, 11:51 AM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Well, anyone?

I contacted Hance And Hines and told them the situation along with sending them a pic of the defect.
I am still waiting to hear back from them on what are they going to do in this case....

Last edited by Dispatch; 10-30-2011 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Additions.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:19 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Dispatch
Well, anyone?

I contacted Hance And Hines and told them the situation along with sending them a pic of the defect.
I am still waiting to hear back from them on what are they going to do in this case....
It looks like an install error, not a product defect. If installed correctly, there is plenty of room for that connector. Did you modify the ECM carrier like the instructions state? The RG & SG are the same setup & you have to modify the carrier for proper fitment.

Quick Reply: Are Vance And Hines FuelPaks Defective?