Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to measure clutch travel?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:40 PM
flipbel
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to measure clutch travel?

How do i measure clutch travel before engagement? Do i measure from the center of the grip to the center of the lever or do i measure from the ball of the lever to the grip. I have searched the web for a diagram because i know i saw one but i could not find it.

I am asking because the lever does not travel in a straight line. The measurement at the ball would be different then at the center.

Thanks
flipper

Old 11-14-2011, 11:50 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

measure both and keep them handy.

its a tough question to answer without knowing what you're applying the measurement to

Old 11-14-2011, 11:53 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is a YouTube video on how to do your clutch adjustment. It is absolutely awesome if you haven't done it yourself before. I think it's in one of the stickies in the forum. It's in either the soft tail or dyna sub-forum.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:22 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

The only measurement taken at the lever is cable freeplay taken at the step of steel collar of the clutch cable to the lever hole.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:23 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

the clutch is adjusted first at the clutch inside the primary.

& then the cable is adjusted- and that determines the lever action

many of us set the clutch cable adjustment so that when the lever is released with slight tension on the cable, you can slip a dime between the backside of the lever and the housing.

so when pulling, the clutch starts to disengage just about right away.

if you are doing police type low speed work, you may adjust your cable differently.

mike

Old 11-15-2011, 01:29 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

hey mkguitar, now you're expecting us to be rich just because we ride harleys? i can't remember the last time i had a dime. let alone two nickels.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:39 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
the clutch is adjusted first at the clutch inside the primary.

& then the cable is adjusted- and that determines the lever action

many of us set the clutch cable adjustment so that when the lever is released with slight tension on the cable, you can slip a dime between the backside of the lever and the housing.

so when pulling, the clutch starts to disengage just about right away.

if you are doing police type low speed work, you may adjust your cable differently.

mike
I adjust mine just the opposite. I like the clutch to start engaging right off the grip. I have about 1/4 to 1/3 of my lever travel in free-play at the opposite end. I could fit 5 or 6 dimes between my lever and the housing.

Good thing I'm really rich, heh emw...

Old 11-15-2011, 05:27 AM
chappy99
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on using a dime,that's what all the people i know go buy.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:48 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
I adjust mine just the opposite. I like the clutch to start engaging right off the grip. I have about 1/4 to 1/3 of my lever travel in free-play at the opposite end. I could fit 5 or 6 dimes between my lever and the housing.

Good thing I'm really rich, heh emw...
I used a nickel and a dime because I like more play. Since I have small hands, I will probably go 2 nickels and a dime for even more play when I next mess with the clutch..

Old 11-15-2011, 11:08 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by bogieb
I used a nickel and a dime because I like more play. Since I have small hands, I will probably go 2 nickels and a dime for even more play when I next mess with the clutch..
EDIT: Text in italics added for clarification.

I was only using the '5 or 6 dimes adjustment' simply for illustrative purposes. I never actually use a dime or nickel or anything. I simply adjust in as much play as I need to make the clutch engagement occur where I like it close to the grip. This adjustment is made at the cable. Be sure the clutch basket adjustment is complete before adjusting the cable.

There is actually a pretty wide adjustment range that will result in acceptable clutch performance. It doesn't necessarily need to be 'by-the-book' for proper function. The by-the-book sequence of adjustment is necessary, i.e., clutch basket first; the actual tolerance range for the adjustments is where you have some room to vary.

Having some freeplay is the most important adjustment parameter. Doesn't really matter how much, just make sure you have some (more is better than not enough). Otherwise slippage and accelerated wear is very likely.

Free play at the lever/cable and at the clutch basket are both necessary. It is possible to have free play at the lever/ cable and none at the basket - this is not an acceptable condition. On the other hand, it is also possible to have no free play in the lever/cable and still have some at the clutch basket. Although not desirable, this condition will not harm the clutch.

The only limiting factor on how much free play you can have and still have proper clutch function, is clutch disengagement. With the lever pulled to the grip you must have full disengagement. Otherwise you'll have some dragging of the clutch discs while sitting at a stop. This will make it difficult to find nuetral and will also cause accelerated wear of the clutch.

Freeplay and Full Disengagement... As long as you have these two items, you're good! Actually three items - freeplay at the clutch basket, freeplay at the lever/cable, and full disengagement.

In summary, adjust the clutch basket to factory specs*, then adjust the lever/cable to provide clutch engagement and/or disengagement to suit your preference. A little extra freeplay (the 5 or 6 dimes in my original example) at the lever/cable is not hurting a thing.

* When adjusting the clutch basket I like to go to the high side of the range. This provides the greater amount of freeplay and longest service life between adjustments while minimizing any risk of slippage.

Last edited by 2black1s; 11-15-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply: How to measure clutch travel?