Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey! Short Riders on Road Kings! Please advise!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:29 PM
stevieg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Laughed out loud when I saw the boot!
I've had a pair of Red Wings that weren't cheap that have about a 2" or bigger heel. I mentioned I had a Streetbob and I lowered that WAY too much. Couldn't even go over a speed bump and a harsh ride....but it looked cool.
Tell you the truth, the '02 1200 was the worst of the three. High center of gravity. Dropped it 3 times. One of the times was when I learned the lesson not to use the front brake at slow speed, especially when making a U turn. I was on my *** before I knew what happened.
The Heritage was great. I lowered it 1" in the rear, angled the bars back, had a custom made C&C seat (which I got directly from Chuck and Chuy 'cause I lived in SoCal at the time) and the Red Wings and I was set.
Has anyone used the Arlen Ness stand that mounts toward the rear of the bike on a RK?
That was awesome on my Heritage. More stable than stock cause it locked. Even with an extender I don't think I could reach the stand in front of the floorboard.
Anyway, I appreciate all the feedback.
Have another question......
Seeing some screamin deals and I'm stuck because I'd like to get an '09 because of the new frame and ABS (I know, some '08s have it too) but I'm told it's not so good for little folks.
There's 3 '03 Screamin Eagles on Ebay which I hear are a little lower but they don't have the 6 speed. And then I'm thinkin about an '07 or '08 because they have the 6 speed. Damn....decisions, decisions. If anybody gets to this part and wants to chime in I'd appreciate it. If not, I'll start a new thread.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:59 AM
chuck1340
1st Gear
Default Short rider

Thanks for the info Mark. What year RK? I hear pre 2009 are narrower. Do you have a pic of her sitting on it? I would like to see how she fits it. I'm 5'3" and thinking of getting one. I currently have a Softail.

Chuck

Originally Posted by Mark98012
Wife (5' 2") has a RK Custom. Rear is already lowered 1 inch, lowered the front 1 inch and with a custom seat she is almost flatfooted. With thicker soles she's ok.

Mark

Old 04-27-2015, 12:47 PM
nuljas23
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If I were you I'd definitely get a bike with a 6 speed. Also I think you'll be fine on the 09 and up bikes with a few modifications. I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam and ride an 09 street glide. I have the rear lowered 1" and can just flat foot with my carolinas on. The weight isn't an issue for me I'm a very stout build but backing it up can be a pain at times. I'm adding a 21" front wheel and also dropping the front 2" at the same time with progressive monotubes to offset the taller wheel. My next modification will be narrowing the front of the stock seat which I think helps short legs the most. I also have 14" apes on it and I'm very comfortable. Honestly I was fine before lowering it any I just had to tippy toe or lean the bike to one side but they're definitely worth lowering to make backing up easier.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:20 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Old thread, but I'll contribute. I'm a shorty as well and I have the HD profile low shocks front and rear. Mean City modified my seat to the super narrow. I can 'flat foot' with regular riding boots. I'm headed to FL this summer and see Howard at Motorcycle Metal. Gonna see if he can get me even lower.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:31 AM
jasch1124
Intermediate

5'6" here...I have an 08, big enough soles/shoe inserts gets me to where I can handle it. I find the bike heavy so 90% of the time I'm putting two feet the ground when coming to stop anyway.

Old 04-30-2015, 03:07 PM
NowgFstCat
Tourer

I'm 5'5' I have a 14 rk. I sent the stock air shocks out to bitchin baggers and he reduced them to 11 1/4" I had my seat narrowed at the nose and I wear a thicker sole boat. I'm now flat footed. I might lower front this winter.