Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay - Don't tell the Dyna guys...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Okay - Don't tell the Dyna guys...

But I am in the market for a Heritage.

My wife and I are riding together almost 100% of the time and we are doing bigger and bigger rides. I love my Bob, but I am not going to spend a fortune to turn it into a bagger.

I need bigger shield, fairing, fender, seat, storage, and smoother ride, etc.

Anyway, I just don't like Street/Road Glides. Don't ask me why, but I never liked the fairing, stereo, etc etc. Just don't feel comfortable with it. So it was down to a Road King for Heritage. I got to test ride a Road King and was suprised by how much I did not like it. I was sitting too high (for me), bars to low. I felt like I was reaching my legs around the bike to put my feet down, and I am 6 feet! Anyway, just didn't like it. No to mention my wife's short legs can't make it over the bags and on to the boards all the way.

So I sat on a Heritage, and it instantly fits like a glove, just like my Bob did. Wife fits on it and feels good. I just like everything about it (other than the studs).

So I'll be looking over the next year for a good deal and a possible a trade in. Just looking for any input on years. I don't know much about the Heritage yet. Any good/bad years? Any major differences? Engine size, bars, seats, etc?

I know most everything about all years of Street Bobs since they came out in 2006 and am just looking to learn the same thing about Heritage now. Thanks for any input.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:35 AM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am gonna assume that you have an 06 dyna? You might want to stick around an 07 and above for the 6 speed tranny. I think it makes a difference for traveling especially.

Your gonna luv the Heritage. Your reasons are exactly as what mine were. I also though wish they would offer a "studless" Heritage. I think the bags would look just as killer without studs. I have learned to get along with them though as they are the only real flaw of the bike. (well... I wouldn't mind seeing dual disk brakes and cruise control put on the Heritage as well. Get a f'ing clue Harley).

My wife has never complained about comfort on the Heritage. She did ask for passenger floorboards though.

Very versatile bike. I did have to switch out the windscreen though to a shorter replacement windscreen as for me the top of the stock shield was right in my line of sight. I also got some progressive adjustable shocks off of ebay and replaced the stock shocks. Big difference there as well. I also added 12 inch W1 apes to mine and shucked the stock bars. I just could not get used to them and they would make my wrist ache after an hour on the bike because of the weird angle they put your hands and wrist. The W1 apes never have given me a problem or put my hands to sleep.

Oh, and another thing... at 6 foot your probably gonna want to replace the stock floorboards with the touring floor pans (which will move them forward 2 inches) and get some Harley goodies extensions to move them out an 1" (or maybe it's an 1 1/2 I cannot remember). You will be completely comfortable on long trips then.

Round all that off with some True Duals and white walls...

Last edited by lionsqrne; 08-16-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:32 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Thanks for the input!

Yeah, I have a 09 Bob with a nice stage one, so that will be the first thing I will have to do to any new/used bike is upgrade the power as I am now spoiled on it.

I was curious about the floor boards, I do prefer a more forward leg stance, I'll have to start looking in the forum for some ideas and pics. Do a little researching.

I did see that Harley sells color matched hard bags and a studless seat. In a perfect world with an unlimited budget, they'd be on my list.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:09 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can help you with the floorboard research as this is probably the only link you really need.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ease-read.html

Hope this helps.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:52 PM
jbg
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If money's not so much of an issue...and you really don't want the studs...try a Deluxe? They're almost the same bike (1" lower and some other cosmetic differences). But you get more chrome and imho...it's a prettier bike. You'd have to get a shield and bags for it though. But if you're not 100% sold on the Heritage bags and shield anyway, that may be a good thing. You could get the ones you really like right off the bat.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:53 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by lionsqrne
I can help you with the floorboard research as this is probably the only link you really need.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ease-read.html

Hope this helps.
Thanks! I added to favorites.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Swilkins
Tourer

I have an 07 Heritage and have riden 300+ in a day with very little discomfort. An engine guard with riding pegs can be another way for you to stretch out a little without chnging out the floor boards. I won't trade the Heritage for anything but will one day be back in the market for an Ultra. BTW, the only mechanical problem I've ever had was with teh spokes working loose. Once you start riding, make sure you add that to your spring/fall pre-ride checklist.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Soft422
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DSnoopy
But I am in the market for a Heritage.

My wife and I are riding together almost 100% of the time and we are doing bigger and bigger rides. I love my Bob, but I am not going to spend a fortune to turn it into a bagger.

I need bigger shield, fairing, fender, seat, storage, and smoother ride, etc.

Anyway, I just don't like Street/Road Glides. Don't ask me why, but I never liked the fairing, stereo, etc etc. Just don't feel comfortable with it. So it was down to a Road King for Heritage. I got to test ride a Road King and was suprised by how much I did not like it. I was sitting too high (for me), bars to low. I felt like I was reaching my legs around the bike to put my feet down, and I am 6 feet! Anyway, just didn't like it. No to mention my wife's short legs can't make it over the bags and on to the boards all the way.

So I sat on a Heritage, and it instantly fits like a glove, just like my Bob did. Wife fits on it and feels good. I just like everything about it (other than the studs).

So I'll be looking over the next year for a good deal and a possible a trade in. Just looking for any input on years. I don't know much about the Heritage yet. Any good/bad years? Any major differences? Engine size, bars, seats, etc?

I know most everything about all years of Street Bobs since they came out in 2006 and am just looking to learn the same thing about Heritage now. Thanks for any input.
Well, I guess everyone is different but I love the studs on the Heritage Bags. The studded bags belong on this bike and make it a Heritage but that's just my opinion. The important thing is that you like the bike and how you feel in it.

I can't really think of any "bad" years for the Heritage. Not much has changed on it over the years (on purpose I think) other than the engine size (currently 96 ci's) and transmission (currently a six speed) and a few cosmetic things. Find the color you like and you can always personalize it to your tastes. You are going to love this bike. Congrats and good luck going forward.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:35 PM
FLYSBY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DSnoopy, you didn't really think you could keep this from the dyna guys - and gals; did you? lol

Old 08-17-2010, 04:43 PM
Truckbizz
Account Deactivated

I owned my Heritage for just past 3 years now and I'm very happy with my scoot. I can strip it down for the local rides on the weekend and when its time to roll on a far ride on go the bags and windshield and im ready to go. You get used to the studded bags, it was something that used to bother me too, but for the amount of time I actually have them on they are fine for the overnighter rides that I do with the wifey.

Quick Reply: Okay - Don't tell the Dyna guys...