Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropped it the garage

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:56 PM
tom lipke
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy dropped it the garage

I have an 01 electra glide. I pulled in the garage and went to put the kick stand down and my foot slipped and I couldn't stop it from falling over. finally got it up by putting my back to the bike using my back and legs and lifting it up by the handlebars and holding on to the seat. I had toput alot of pressure on those bars to get it up! I don't think i bent the handlebars but the rubber bushing between the handlebar and the fairing popped out. It was not the bushing on the side that I was lifting the bike with it was the bushing on the other side of the handlebars. It looks like the space between the fairing and the handlebars is maybe a 1/4 inch different on one side. is it possible for the bars to have moved in the clamp? or maybe the fairing has always been mounted that way and i just never noticed. I am not familiar with how those bars mount as I have never seen the bike with the fairing off. Should I have the bars checked to make sure they are still tight and have not moved? Hate to spend the money if it's not neccessary.
Thanks
Tom

Old 01-29-2012, 09:08 PM
a10182
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man that sucks I dont know about your handlebars but I dropped my bike in a parking space because of a pile of sand I didnt look like an *******, and I called harley because I thought I saw something funny with my handlebars and when I described the problem it was a cheap fix so maybe you could just call them and ask

Old 01-29-2012, 09:11 PM
inthechateau
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Better safe than sorry as always, dropped mine in the back yard last year, bent the passenger grab rails and actually tweeked the handle bar a little too. The gromets will pop out if bar is flexed a lot and they are not hard to get bak into place. the bars them self are acuallly mounted on riders inside the fairing and they have rubber mount bushings that can go bad after a while.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:26 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear that your bike went down. I have not done that yet- However, two years ago, i pulled out to ride with a group, forgot my jiffy stand was down, and i has going like 10 mph or so and had a left turn coming up. Luckily I heard the scrape- stopped okay and put the dang thing up..... it could have been a dumper for sure had I tried to turn left with it still down.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:44 PM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
Sorry to hear that your bike went down. I have not done that yet- However, two years ago, i pulled out to ride with a group, forgot my jiffy stand was down, and i has going like 10 mph or so and had a left turn coming up. Luckily I heard the scrape- stopped okay and put the dang thing up..... it could have been a dumper for sure had I tried to turn left with it still down.
I hear you. Wonder why Harley doesn't address that safety issue, not hard to wire in a neutral safety switch I would think.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:26 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
I hear you. Wonder why Harley doesn't address that safety issue, not hard to wire in a neutral safety switch I would think.
no thank you. the neutral safety switch on the clutch perch is more than enough. besides, even if they did have one, it wouldn't have helped the op in his situation.

anyway, by the sounds of it, more people need some type of safety for forgetting to put their kickstand down than up

Old 01-29-2012, 11:34 PM
traylestrat
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take the bike in and have them look at it, will be good for your mind. I dropped mine in the garage a few years back...advice around here was...drop it on the other side...

Old 01-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Clocker
Cruiser

got so excited to ride one day... when i jumped on my bike and lifted it off the stand so fast i threw it down on its other side. pissed me off.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Glen1978
Road Captain

Dude that sucks. I dropped my 06 Softail at a gas station one time. I had bought a Gatorade and came out and got on the bike, put the Gatorade between my legs and then the Gatorade fell off to the left side of the bike. I thought my kickstand was down but I had already pulled it up. Went to lean over to the left, let the stand catch the bike on the way down and grab my Gatorade......woops. Funny thing is once it got so far down I couldnt hold it and had to let it go. Once It fell I stayed straddle of it and reached down and picked it up like it was nothing. Adrenaline I guess.

I have noticed that my new to me 09 SG while walking it into a parking space or whatever with the wheels turned or something Ive almost dropped it three times now. I guess it has to do with the rake or something. The softail was nothing like that.

Sorry so long, sorry to hear about that. Go get it checked out to ease your mind.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:45 AM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

it sounds like the handlebar dampener crapped out..the stock rubber is junk anyway.. get polyurethane bushings.. novice riders should be required to have a giant sticker on the tank to remind them to put the stand up/down

Quick Reply: dropped it the garage