Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major gas leak... need assistance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 08:07 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Major gas leak... need assistance.

Went to start my bike tonight (been stored all winter) to hear my new pipes and to get my Glide-Pro system all aligned, and it was leaking gas bad. I was able to locate the leak and it was coming out of the rear fuel injector at the base where it goes into the intake manifold. Shut down bike and then turned on ignition, then the fuel pump (without starting bike), and gas was coming out of bottom of injector.

I pulled the fuel rail and the injectors. O-rings look ok but I am going to replace them. Does this sound like a simple bad o-ring, or could it be a bad injector? Or could it be something in the intake manifold thats forcing the gas back up and out of where the injector meets the manifold? Course if the bike wasn't running the manifold shouldn't cause any problems... right?

The bike started right up and ran fine, just leaked gas badly (think pouring out). I am no mechanic, but I am thinking that the cold damaged the o-ring.

Thanks for the help.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:17 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a bad hose going to the injector , should be no gas until the injector fires , never heard of a injector leaking like that , could be cracked but do not think it would work , the prints would not be affected with out the bike running

Old 02-23-2012, 08:23 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,641 Likes on 4,631 Posts

what year is the bike? its very hard to help with a gas leak when nobody can see where exactly its coming from. try the o rings, if that doesn't fix it you'll have to try an injector. theres gas at the injector at all times, only when it is triggered does the gas go thru the nozzle, so it can leak, without bike running, fuel pressure is built up the first few seconds,and after receiving a signal from crank sensor pump continues to run , just look as closely as to where gas is coming from. Has nothing to do with manifold, either injector or o rings

Old 02-23-2012, 08:28 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
what year is the bike? its very hard to help with a gas leak when nobody can see where exactly its coming from. try the o rings, if that doesn't fix it you'll have to try an injector. theres gas at the injector at all times, only when it is triggered does the gas go thru the nozzle, so it can leak, without bike running, fuel pressure is built up the first few seconds,and after receiving a signal from crank sensor pump continues to run , just look as closely as to where gas is coming from. Has nothing to do with manifold, either injector or o rings
The gas is defiantly coming from the bottom of the injector. I can see it oozing out between the injector and the manifold which is why I thought it was the o-ring. It does it both when the bike is running and when just the ignition and fuel pump are on (a lot more comes out when the bike is actually running). If tons of gas is pouring out is that a bad injector then?

The following users liked this post:
2slow05 (06-04-2020)
Old 02-23-2012, 08:29 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior

Oh yeah... bike is an 2002 Road King Classic. 14k miles. I bought it the end of last season with 10k on it, so it obviously sat a lot with the previous owner. He averaged about 1k a year.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:31 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

sounds like the injector, replace it

Old 02-23-2012, 08:33 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

the o ring on the manifold side is for sealing vacuum, has nothing to do with sealing gas, the top o ring where the injector fits onto the fuel rail is for sealing gas, so its the injector

Old 02-23-2012, 08:37 PM
gtrplyr
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
the o ring on the manifold side is for sealing vacuum, has nothing to do with sealing gas, the top o ring where the injector fits onto the fuel rail is for sealing gas, so its the injector
Thank man! You just saved me a lot of headaches.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:38 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

glad to help

Old 02-23-2012, 08:38 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

the injector is a "pintle type"

hold your left hand in front of you, palm in.

make a circle with your forefinger and thumb.

with your other forefinger insert from the bottom.

that is what the injector looks like ( kinda- the pintle is actually more like a mushroom head and moves forward with the pulse))---

if you pull your rt forefinger back an inch, that's what happens when the injector gets electrical pulse from the ECM-

fuel is always at pressure ( in your left palm), the ecm tells the injector to open ( pull the finger back), and fuel can spray, until the finger comes back into position.

it could be as simple as a piece of dirt keeping the pintle from closing all the way ( the finger going back up all the way)- the always at pressure fuel keeps flowing.

( if this is the case alot of gas could end up inside your motor- BAD !!!

pull the sparkplug and see if the inside of the cylinder is wet

other wise it could be bad seal or fuel line.

in any case you need to pull it all and replace the seals and check the injectors for function, could be wear, could be a little dirt.

you should be able to get a good tech to service for you unless you want to jump in.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-23-2012 at 08:41 PM.

Quick Reply: Major gas leak... need assistance.