Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor build & resale value? does it hurt?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 AM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frog13
+1 !!! Not like the guys that run a stock bike and have no clue how to take care of it, do stupid stuff with it, like turning the idle down to try to get that Harley sound, all the while starving the engine of oil. Or my favorite, the guy that thinks the stock ECM will adjust to anything they do to their bike, why waste their money on a tuner ........ yeah, I want to buy those stock bikes, not! WooHoo, here we go, FLAME ON!
+1. No flame here! I totally agree.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:06 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tidbit1
.....I never have understood why spend the money and time to make something that was built to be on a public street/highway go faster, when it is already fast enough to get you killed. JMO

Ride safe
A Honda Rebel can go fast enough to get you killed.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:22 PM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As long as the work is professionally done and there is documentation of the work, I have no problem with buying a used bike with engine modifications.

If I see a receipt from FM or an HD dealer for an installed kit and there is a dyno sheet (to show it was properly tuned) to go with it, I see no problem. If a guy shows me a receipt for a set of pistons and a generic cam that he installed himself, well I might pass on that one. I think the supporting documentation is pretty important to the value of the engine modifications.

In any event, engine modifications won't make a significant positive impact to the value of a used bike. The only exception I see to this would be in an '06 and older twin cam bike that has had the cam tensioners upgraded. The cam tensioner upgrade would make the bike more valuable in my opinion.

Good luck.

Last edited by equandt; 02-28-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:39 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't wrench. It's simple logic that tells me, if a fella ain't happy with the amount of power a stock engine will give him, and has to trick it up for more speed.....when he's done, he's gonna use the extra acceleration and top end performance. That means two things: 1.He's will have used the engine harder then the manufacturer recommended. 2. He's put more stress on all other components as well.

Now he's trying to sell it????? Sounds like a potential can of worms to me. I for one would never think about buying someone else's project even at a BIG discount.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:49 PM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjkrueg
I'm real close to pulling the trigger on a FM 107 build. Just wondering for those of you that have had motor work done, did it hurt or help when it came time to sell your bike. I know accessories basically do nothing for value, but was wondering what effect a motor build could have on resale value. Thanks all.
Excellent question. For me, it would depend on who did the build. If it was FM, or and Indy that had a good reputation, then I'd be ok with it. You're not going to get your money back by adding it to the resale price though. Most people will not pay extra for any engine mods.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 AM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jjkrueg
I'm real close to pulling the trigger on a FM 107 build. Just wondering for those of you that have had motor work done, did it hurt or help when it came time to sell your bike. I know accessories basically do nothing for value, but was wondering what effect a motor build could have on resale value. Thanks all.

I bought my 2005 Ultra used 2 years ago with engine mods done at a dealer with records, [Cams, Big Bore, down load etc] It had high mileage [65k miles] but was priced in my budget $13k and with upgrades that would be out of line ($$) if required after purchase.

And this winter my wife bought a 2008 Fat Bob with all kinds of bling and a 103" big bore kit again done at the dealer, and again in our budget, but with $3-6k worth of accessories/mods done.

If either of them have a engine issue that is not covered under extended warranty we will rebuild or replace then.....JMHO

Attached Thumbnails motor build & resale value? does it hurt?-fatbob-showroom.jpg   motor build & resale value? does it hurt?-img_9346.jpg  
Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 AM
99%er
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not against engine mods at all but I prefer to buy a stock bike so I can pick and choose exactly what I want to change on it and not own someone elses choices.
Thats the control freak in me.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:48 AM
streetg131
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like previously stated, engine mods don't really add to a used bikes price, so if you want a stronger than stock motor a used modded bike will save you the thousands in after purchase motor work.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:01 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never quite understood all of the focus on resale value. It's a motorsickle, not an investment vehicle.
I'm only ever concerned with resale value on things that appreciate in value... sorry, but mass-produced scoots ain't in that category. Well, not very many, anyway - and not for some time.
You're not just buying a motor in a frame with a seat on top... you're also buying all the experiences it can make available (even if it's just commuting).
Buy it, enjoy it, ride it...

Last edited by pargenz; 02-28-2012 at 11:05 AM.