Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with experience, Inner Primary oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:52 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Anyone with experience, Inner Primary oil leak

Changed primary oil a couple weeks ago. Thought I would try Red Line Primary Oil instead of the Amsoil I have used in the past. Had a brain fart & over filled the primary by aprox 1/2 quart. After a couple short rides I noticed oil dripping from the primary cover under the clutch basket area. Inspected the problem & found the oil is coming from inside the inner primary cover, between the final drive belt sprocket & the Inner primary case. The transmission side of the case is dry. I drained the oil when I realized I had over filled it, refilled the case with 1 qt. of the oil I saved from draining it. I was hoping the oil leak would stop when the oil level was corrected, but it didnt. I get about a teaspoon of oil on the garage floor after riding 40 or 50 miles. I have cleaned the case several times with brake cleaner to insure it wasn't left over residue. I have read through the manual, trying to get familar with inner primary R&R. Has anybody experienced anything like this? Did my overfilling the primary cause this? I have heard talk of Red Line Oil being much harder to seal??? That make very little sence to me, but what is y'alls experience? Is there anything other than the seal where the clutch hub & the trans. main shaft come together I should look for? I have read on here that people have had trouble with shifter shaft seals, I dont believe that is my problem, that side of the case is completely dry & the transmission has the pink Red Line oil in it. This oil that is leaking is brown. Any ideas on what to look for before I start taking it down?
Thanks

Old 04-29-2012, 08:08 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I overfilled by a quart once and did not blow a seal. rode it overfilled for almost a year. You sound like you checked this well, so I'm not going to suggest that it might be engine oil coming out of the intake and down the side of your engine (is the six oclock position of your intake filter dry?). If you have a leak now, odds are you have a primary bearing failure which is allowing the shaft to rotate out of round, which is destroying your seal. your bike is a 2010 model, is it under warranty?

Last edited by speakerfritz; 04-29-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:08 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Oil seal at the inner primary bearing? O-ring at the starter?

Old 04-29-2012, 08:10 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One quart of oil is not enough, but there is still some oil leaking, so I think the oil must be remain unclean somewhere in that area.
Unless, you have not totally drained the whole thing, before refilling.
I am interesting in what you'll find.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:36 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior

Pretty sure the warranty is out. Yes, its a 2010, has only 13k miles on it. I was thinking along the same lines about the inner primary bearing having too much play in it. What is puzzling to me I have heard no unusual noises from that area. Dawg, I am not familiar with the starter O-ring you speak of. Is it positioned in a way that if it were bad would oil would run down the primary side of the case, or would I most likely see oil on the transmission side? If I remove the starter first will I be able to see if that would be the source of the leak? Thanks, was hoping you would chime in. Thanks everybody for there thoughts!

Last edited by DHubbs; 04-29-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:50 PM
putso
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just changed the inner primary seal today like you i had oil seeping from behind the inner primary case and final drive gear once I got it all tore apart that's what it was just the seal. Had it all tore apart seal changed and back together with in about 4 hours including the quick trip to the auto parts store for some brake parts cleaner and lock tight.

Old 04-29-2012, 09:23 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by putso
I just changed the inner primary seal today like you i had oil seeping from behind the inner primary case and final drive gear once I got it all tore apart that's what it was just the seal. Had it all tore apart seal changed and back together with in about 4 hours including the quick trip to the auto parts store for some brake parts cleaner and lock tight.
Hope I get that lucky! Thank you for your input!