Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

Welcome to HDForums.com!

P

Old 06-12-2012, 04:44 AM
Senior Rider
Default Bagger wobble???

So ive been looking into this whole bagger wobble on long sweeping turns, at 80-85 my SG has a slight wobble. I have a true track on it and though the bike feels better the wobble is still there. I have a 18-21 wheel set up with 180 and 120 tires progressive 412's 11.5" shocks 2" drop in springs up front with extra heavy oil. Checked the steering head bearings multiple times tightened them up and still its there. Ive tried different tire pressures in my metzeler tires and noticed the higher pressures ride the best 46 up front and 48 rear feels the best so far. I guess I can live with it but id really like to get rid of this wobble anyone have any success in this department. Ive heard bigger wheels and ape hangers make it more noticeable and I have both so maybe I have to give up some performance for the look I want to have.

Jay
2012 103 Street Glide Vivid black, 13" Apes, Fuel Moto head pipe, Zippers filter, Jackpot mufflers, Thunder Max tuner,woods 555 cams, Arnott air ride, Some PM billet, 26"-18" polished wheels, PM brakes, Stretched everything, Pickard rake trees, and some black here and there.
2011 Blackline Vivid Black/Sedona Orange, Jockey shifter/foot clutch, shotgun shock, 14" Carlini apes, PM wheels, Heartland 2-5-0, 103ci, 254e cams, Thunder Max tuner, way to many parts and way to much money.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:01 AM
Club Member

Jay, your bike may not have a wobble! If you are 'hanging on' to your bars, that alone will cause the problem you speak of. Make the effort to relax your grip and do whatever you need to relax, at least long enough to ride round one of those fast sweepers.

If I am right, adjust your bars so you can ride in a more relaxed way. Or use lower bars!
'Sir' Graham 5Ps, #1 Gent! Dude?
Harley owner since 1974, Founder & Life HOG Member.
1990 Officially 'Hyacinth' Blue FLHS/2008 S&S V107T, 2007 Buttercup XB12R, 2011 Merlot XL883L, MG ZT V8 281cid.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Road Warrior

21'' front tire, ape hanger's you are gonna get some wobble. Look at all that leverage you have, all you have to do is look at a hangrip and it's gonna react.

as stated above, relax. Just the tension of you holding the throttle is enough to wobble away.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Elite HDF Member

You spent a bunch of time and money to screw up your handling. I know I been there. The factory does in fact set them up pretty good (except for crap suspension).
Old 06-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grbrown View Post
Jay, your bike may not have a wobble! If you are 'hanging on' to your bars, that alone will cause the problem you speak of. Make the effort to relax your grip and do whatever you need to relax, at least long enough to ride round one of those fast sweepers.

If I am right, adjust your bars so you can ride in a more relaxed way. Or use lower bars!
There's a lot of truth in this statement, I do it and I even pay attention to my breathing when riding hard and I consciously make an effort to relax and breath. Even though I've been aware of this for many years that I should be relaxed while riding I still have to make an effort some times; comes in real handy when riding in the rain. I usually say to myself settle down and enjoy it, but maybe I'm a nut job.
2011 Electra Glide Limited - Touring around North America. 62,000 miles on an 09 FLHR (sold), now 18,000 miles and counting on my FLHTK - My travel blog http://travelwithe.com/travelwithe/blogengine.net/ my YouTube channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTJA4CrFRY-_rvDejPct73g
Old 06-12-2012, 04:15 PM
Club Member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricD10563 View Post
There's a lot of truth in this statement, I do it and I even pay attention to my breathing when riding hard and I consciously make an effort to relax and breath. Even though I've been aware of this for many years that I should be relaxed while riding I still have to make an effort some times; comes in real handy when riding in the rain. I usually say to myself settle down and enjoy it, but maybe I'm a nut job.
I learned that lesson with my new FX1200 back in the 70s!
'Sir' Graham 5Ps, #1 Gent! Dude?
Harley owner since 1974, Founder & Life HOG Member.
1990 Officially 'Hyacinth' Blue FLHS/2008 S&S V107T, 2007 Buttercup XB12R, 2011 Merlot XL883L, MG ZT V8 281cid.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Outstanding HDF Member

No wobble. I've put 8,000 miles on it since December (when I bought it) and have ridden all speeds, on all kinds of roads, in all kinds of conditions. No wobble. I think you did it to yourself.

2011 Road King Classic in Psychedelic Purple and Vivid Black. Stage 1 with SE Street Cannons.
2008 Sportster 1200 Custom-Gone but not forgotten.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Senior Rider

Ya that could be the problem. I think im trying to hard to see if its there that im screwing my self up haha. I noticed a big improvement with the true track and only recently ive been getting a wobble, even with the bars and 21" wheel I swear it wasent there before. I guess ill just have to relax and not worry about it and it will probably be gone again. Thanks guys for the insight.

Jay
2012 103 Street Glide Vivid black, 13" Apes, Fuel Moto head pipe, Zippers filter, Jackpot mufflers, Thunder Max tuner,woods 555 cams, Arnott air ride, Some PM billet, 26"-18" polished wheels, PM brakes, Stretched everything, Pickard rake trees, and some black here and there.
2011 Blackline Vivid Black/Sedona Orange, Jockey shifter/foot clutch, shotgun shock, 14" Carlini apes, PM wheels, Heartland 2-5-0, 103ci, 254e cams, Thunder Max tuner, way to many parts and way to much money.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Prospect

Check for a bad tire. that turned out to be the problem with my 08.

2011 Vivid Black Street Glide
2008 Vivid Black Street Glide "sold"
1998 Fat Boy "sold"
Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 PM
One Of The Regulars

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but your riding a touring bike, if you want to run 80-85 through turns your on the wrong bike.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 PM

P