Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Messy oil filter removal- here's a fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 01:46 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts
Default Messy oil filter removal- here's a fix

I see posts from time to time complaining about oil filter changes- here's what i do and have done for years when it is filter change time.
There is no need to buy more expensive filters with nuts built into the end.

best done with warm oil.

do this on the jiffy stand.

get a sheet of aluminum foil about 8" wide, bend it into a slight U shape so it forms a channel and put this under the oil filter- all the way to the mount, extend or bend the foil so that you have a channel which will direct oil to your catch pan.

with a phillips screwdriver or a punch, bang a hole in the end of the filter as low as you can.
bang another hole up high for air.

let the filter drain.

once the filter is "dry", use your holes or a new hole in the side to turn the filter off of the mount, once the seal is broken more oil will be draining in the foil, you may want to pause here.
( a filter wrench can be used BUT you must be careful not to hit the crank position sensor which is to the 5 o'clock of the filter looking at it from the end.)

once the filter is removed- examine the gasket sealing surface on the mount, for any old gasket, which could cause a leak. If so, remove with a hard PLASTIC scraper.

apply fresh oil to the seal of the new filter and screw into place, once the seal contacts the mount, turn about 1/2-2/3 turn more- by hand.

continue with other chores.

dump your old oil into a jug and just about any auto parts store will take to recycle, most will also take your old filter and they squish remaining oil out of it.

Mike

* on a vertical mount filter like my truck and the FXR I fill the filter with fresh oil, I do not on the bagger as the mess outweighs the "dry start"- with a warm motor there will be some oil up top, and the new stuff will be close behind it

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-14-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:47 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

I was just thinking about the upcoming 5,000 mile service on my EGC - take it to the dealer/Indy or change it myself. Good info for changing it myself.

Thanks for the post.

Old 06-14-2012, 06:37 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

An empty soda 2 liter bottle works good too, about the same way....cut the end off without the cap, cut a channel about half the side, and use it like above....

Old 06-14-2012, 06:57 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,969 Likes on 1,718 Posts

My filter's under my left saddlebag.............no mess 'tall

Old 06-14-2012, 07:02 PM
Genius
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Been using the same gear oil qt contanier for years.
Its about the same size as the filter, works very well.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:04 PM
PAPAFISH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great advice im ready to change the oil ill give it a try

Old 06-14-2012, 07:07 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

what I do Bbfore changing oil filter, I spray bike wash around the oil filter area. I remove oil filter...install new filter and then spray the area with water. The oil will not attach where the bike wash is.
works for me.

chuck

Old 06-14-2012, 07:19 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Best thing to do is drain the oil and run it till the lifters clack then pull the filter. No mess at all! (Please don't take me seriously heck I dont!)

Old 06-14-2012, 07:35 PM
North Star
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I take a cardboard cereal box and cut it down so it forms into shape that goes under the filter and also directs the oil into the catch pan.

I use a K&N oil filter for the easy install with the nut they put on it. It is also beneficial because you can torque it on to the specs they provide.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:24 PM
Verbal
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done this on car oil changes and it works on bikes too. Take an old bread bag and put on your hand like a glove. Grab the filter and pull the "sleeve" of the bag over the old filter. Remove the filter and the filter and any old oil stays in the bag. Just check and make sure that the bag doesn't have any holes in it first. Then tie up old bag and throw away.

Quick Reply: Messy oil filter removal- here's a fix