Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got bit by the dreaded '99 cam bearing failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:27 PM
Hondo65
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got bit by the dreaded '99 cam bearing failure

Well the noise in the chain case wasnt the chain tensioners, it was pieces of metal bearing cage. They only had time today to do an initial inspection. Will find out the total extent of damage on Monday....grrrr just doesn't end

Well a buddy just called and is taking me salmon fishing... so I guess I'll forget about it all for now...

Old 06-16-2012, 03:44 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

there was a recall- and HD did something of an extended transferable warranty ( in response to many, many complaints about early failures)

here it is...

from the HARLEY WEBSITE "SERVICE CHECK UP AREA":

Subject: Rear Cam Bearings on 1999 and early model Twin Cam 88 and Twin Cam 88B motors.

On December 14, 1999 a running change was made in the design and production of the rear cam bearing in Twin Cam 88 and Twin Cam 88B engines. The change replaced the ball bearing style bearing in the rear cam with tapered roller bearings. The Motor Company is aware of the publicity this change has received and the concern some customers may have with the performance of cam bearings.

In order to ensure our customers' satisfaction, the Motor Company extended a 5 year/50,000 mile warranty on the rear cam bearings to owners of certain 1999 and 2000 vintage Twin Cam 88 and 88B motorcycles. The affected motorcycles have ball bearing style bearings in the rear cam and were manufactured between July 1998 and December 14, 1999. This offer reflects the Motor Company's confidence in the product as well as its willingness to go beyond the normal one-year warranty in order to ensure our customers' satisfaction. Under the terms of this warranty, any failure of the rear cam bearing during the extended warranty period will be covered by the Motor Company at no cost to the customer when the service is provided by an authorized Harley-Davidson dealership.

Any questions about which bikes are affected by this warranty or any questions or problems related to your specific bike can be answered by calling the Harley-Davidson Customer Service Department at 1-414-343-4056.

I thought at the time is was lifetime- 5 years...you could always call and see if you get someone in a good mood to help cover some of the costs.

DO NOT scrimp on the repair costs, this metal can go everywhere and a complete rebuilt is probably called for ( maybe go 95" since the labor is the same)
Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-16-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:20 PM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BUmmer - how many miles on your bike?

I got my '00 in Sept '04, rode it till winter, then took it off the road and pulled it apart to check the cam bearings and tensioners. Bike had less than 10,000 miles on it. One cam bearing was all but gone and the second was about to let go. Caught it just in time... and just in time for the 5 year extended warranty to expire

I used it as an opportunity to do cams and a 95". Still happy with it!