Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio, Cruise Control and Red Key Security Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 03:03 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Radio, Cruise Control and Red Key Security Light

Just an FYI for anyone who might be having similar problems.

I had a problem with my Radio (after market) and my TSSM security module, two things seemingly unconnected. I still don’t get the connection but this is what I found.

It began with the radio handlebar functions not working properly, it was hard to get them to work, sometimes one thing would work but not another and it varied. I figured the problem was either the head unit or the Hawg Wired handlebar adapter; I have the HUA470 Universal Radio Install Kit.

Other problems began creeping up, at startup the red key security indicator light would come on for 4 seconds, then go out for 4 seconds, then within 5 miles, came on and stayed on which indicates a current DTC error code. I confirmed it was current because it kept coming back after I cleared it. I had an S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/Turn Signal Security Module) error code of B1154, and part number 68924-07.

Then the cruise control began not working when the red key security indicator light was off, as soon as the red key indicator light came on and stayed on the cruise control started to work.

Error code B1154 is not listed anywhere I can find, but I googled it and found it is a meaningless code you get when you hold the clutch in too long while riding down the road, as in coasting down a hill with the clutch in. I haven't done that so that was not the problem. Also it affected the cruise control so there was a real problem somewhere.

Later another symptom popped up which was the 6th gear indicator light going off and on, mostly off. The problem just kept expanding.

I replaced the radio, no change. Then I replaced the Hawg Wired handlebar adapter and everything was right again, all controls and indicator lights functioned as they should. I cleared the DTC code, rode around for about an hour and none of the problems have come back. That little Hawg Wired adapter can be responsible for more problems than you might think. If everything seems whacky, try disconnecting it and see if that helps.

Added:
I want to point out that I am not trying to discourage anyone from buying a Hawg Wired adapter. There is nothing that is perfect 100% of the time. I’ve heard of other brands having problems but I have never heard of Hawg Wired adapters having a problem, I imagine it is a very rare thing. And they sent another one without fuss so I have no problem with them or their handlebar control adapters.

Last edited by jjnoble; 07-19-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:42 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you using a Power Commander and if so, has it recently been installed? What year model is your bike?

Old 07-19-2012, 05:52 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by vickers1
Are you using a Power Commander and if so, has it recently been installed? What year model is your bike?

No, I have a TTS. I've had it on my 09 SG for over two years.

Old 07-19-2012, 07:40 AM
vzts4q
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the error code, 6th gear light and the cruise problem are all related.
Cruise won't work with the clutch in.
The code was because it thought the clutch was in.
And the 6th gear light goes out when the clutch is pulled in.

Hope your problem stays away but it could be a bad connection in the faring that was moved around when your replaced the Hawg Wired adapter.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:06 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by vzts4q
Well the error code, 6th gear light and the cruise problem are all related.
Cruise won't work with the clutch in.
The code was because it thought the clutch was in.
And the 6th gear light goes out when the clutch is pulled in.

Hope your problem stays away but it could be a bad connection in the faring that was moved around when your replaced the Hawg Wired adapter.

Nope, not a chance, it didn't happen that way. This is not a guessing post. I know what caused the problem. I also understand how all that works and I know none of that has anything to do with the radio, I thought I had two problems but the one device caused it all. I never said I understood it, I am saying this is what happened. Just something to keep in mind should your electrical system go screwy on you. What ever is causing the problem, and it doesn't have to be a radio adapter, it could be anything, might not have anything to do with some of the symptoms you are seeing. Which could make it very hard to diagnosis the problem. I got lucky, I was already in the process of fixing the first problem and was surprised the fix was the cure for the second problem. I had no idea they were related.

Old 07-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Have you checked that the clutch switch is not the problem? Fault code, 6th gear, cruise not working all point that way.Just as VZTS says.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:33 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds to me like he figured out the issue and got it resolved. He is just pointing out some of the gremlins that sometimes lurk in the machine is all.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:34 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by brettnbama
It sounds to me like he figured out the issue and got it resolved. He is just pointing out some of the gremlins that sometimes lurk in the machine is all.

Exactly right.