Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Cruise Control Indicator

Old 09-11-2017, 10:50 PM
BlkSTC08
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control Indicator Always On

Hi, new HD rider, new forum member. When I parked my 08 FXSTC tonight I noticed that the cruise control indicator light came on and stayed on, even with the key switch off. I don't have cruise control either.

The seller mentioned that the security system had been disconnected, something to do with the pipes, and that the dealer could reactivate it with a $200 thingamajig. The security light is always on, and I thought that was why.

I've now learned that an always-on security lamp indicates a current diagnostic code. I did get a B1154 that won't go away. Something to do with the clutch switch. I have noticed that I can't start in gear with the clutch in, so the clutch switch might be bad. But I've had the bike a couple of weeks, and the cruise lamp thing just started last night. Don't know if the DTC code/security lamp and the cruise lamp are related.

Thoughts? Thanks

Last edited by BlkSTC08; 09-12-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:27 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 712 Likes on 624 Posts

two diff indicators??? then issue not related. however, if the security is non functioning then that is the source, perhaps he had the light causing code erased to kill the indicator and now it is back. try disconnecting the module and see if the light goes out, if it is a separate module and not built into another unit. past that, you might try lifting the pin on the ecu input for the security system. one ?: does it just give an alarm or does it activate an immobilizer?

The following users liked this post:
BlkSTC08 (09-14-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 01:31 PM
BlkSTC08
Stage IV

I understood the security issue was known and planned for. I have no idea what $200 part would make it function again. That part may be the 'module' you mentioned. Otherwise, I don't know what module to disconnect. I don't remember seeing 'ecu input' in my searches; does it have another name?

Regarding your question, nothing security-related is happening; no alarm or anything. All that is happening is the always-on red key icon, which I can live with and will apparently go away if I get the clutch interlock issue taken care of. And the cruise lamp, which is on even if the bike is shut down and switch off, is what really bothers me. I'm sure that led takes almost no power, but it bugs me being on.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:48 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

i ride sportster, had bt in the past but nothing new, will look at what material i have to see if it can apply to the fx. my fx was a 1974 super glide, wish i still had it, still have my 1974ch though.

BlkSTC08 (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 01:19 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

i do not have a 2008 but a 2011 manual.
2008 was the first year hd used a cable-less throttle system like cars have been doing for years.
did your machine come with cruise? or it quit working?
if yours did have it, then there maybe a short to voltage in the bar switches. yes there is a connection to the clutch lever sw, what color is the cruise, green or yellow?
there is a nice video on fix my hog that can help with diagnostics.

basically there are two systems that feeds info to the ecu from the throttle. if one of these fail, a safe mod is entered and depending upon what failed, the performance is throttled back sometimes to idle only.
when you twist the throttle, two hall sensors relay the voltage change to the ecu and the ecu relays the change to the throttle plate positioner which works like a wheatstone bridge so the voltage is equal, plate = throttle demand.
also inside the bar is another spring loaded sensor and a dc motor which are keyed to the bar. when the cruise is set the ecu uses speed sensor to maintain position and the info from the grip sensor/ecu/throttle position sensor maintains status.
if you have the on/off cruise sw, then it maybe bad shorting to power.
there is a pin on the ecu that can be lifted (cruise enable) but i would use that as the last resort.
since it runs i would say the grip/throttle plate are playing nice but it the cruise isn't working i would look at the dc motor part. there are a whole lot of safety built in.

there is no separate module but the ecu can be programmed to not allow for cruise, maybe the 200 bucks?

Last edited by bustert; 09-14-2017 at 01:21 PM.
BlkSTC08 (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 02:29 PM
BlkSTC08
Stage IV

My bike has a pair of throttle cables, and didn't come with cruise. EITMS uses the cruise lamp to indicate whether on or off, but I've tried the throttle roll to turn it on/off and nothing happens. Not even sure it has EITMS. I think all your comments relate to the throttle-by-wire throttle system rather than cables?

Since there is no cruise and EITMS, if it's there, seems to be non-adjustable, I have to wonder if there's a problem with the speedo itself.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:06 AM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

if yours has cables, then there is no cruise unless (an hd does do it) you have the older system. 2008 they went cable-less. will see if i have something older. anyway, the light can only come on via normal operation or a short to power. was the ecm flashed recently? they could have flashed in the cruise option, but let me see an older system if there is a separate controller.

BlkSTC08 (09-20-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 02:13 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member

was able to find an older version but not the electrical end. i believe the module he referred to was 70989-04 and would fit till 2007. it super-ceded 70955 and 70989. i do not think they are available any more. this was a module with cable and stepper motor linked to the carb. if the machine never had it, the ecu should not be programmed for it. still looking for the electrical.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:47 PM
BlkSTC08
Stage IV

I'll keep the ecm mis-flash possibility in mind and ask the service guy. Don't know of a way to check on my own. That cruise light is a lot dimmer than normal so it's hard to see unless it's dark. But I'm almost sure it wasn't on when I first brought the bike home. So it probably wasn't flashed wrong. The service manual doesn't show the cruise lamp speedo harness, so if there's an extra wire that doesn't belong, I could just clip it.