Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old newbie with a couple of Audio ?s

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Nitrodave08
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old newbie with a couple of Audio ?s

Picked up, well wife picked out, our 2000 GeezerGlide Classic last year. I am not going nutso with the audio, but I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer. We have the stock cassette deck HU 2 speakers.

Short story long, radio cuts out. Swapped the whip ant with the "rubber duckie". No dif. Thought that maybe the ant cable deteriorated, and just put on the HD hidden, havent heard the cutouts, but now snapping/popping sound. Changed spark plugs 4S&G, dealer has only 1 sparkplug wire, having to wait for that. What is leading me in this direction is that when riding and sound issues, I can pull in the clutch and let the engine idle down and both the cutting out previously and the now popping quits. Leaving the clutch pulled in and throttling it to the same RPM brings the noises back. What is even most annoying is that it is not constantly happening. I could go days previously without the the radio cutting out. Now the popping is almost daily. Havent gotten a MP3 player to see if it does it with the front input. Oh yeah, I have 2 radio stations that I listen to, 1 local 1 50 miles away and it happens on both.

I have checked the mounting of the HU, nice and tight esp since I had to replace the flaring bracket. Jostled the wires with radio playing, no noise. Going to try running a temp wire to a frame ground from the radio, again 4S&G. Anything else I am missing?

The previous owner(s) put in some pioneer speakers. I need to find out what are the ohms of the stock speakers for the 2000 year. I have tried looking at what the aftermarket offers and have seen 2/4/8 ohm offerings. Does anyone have a old set laying around that can look on the speaker or take an ohm meter and get me an definitive answer. Looked at parts book at the dealership and they don't have any specs. Short of trying to order a replacement set (old single cone) and doing it myself I hope that someone here can help.

Any words of wisdom, other than replace the system, would be appreciated. I promised my wife that I would not go nuts with the audio like I did with my vehicle. The 1000watts, 2 DVDs, 12 speakers with the 15" sub would be too practical on the GG anyway haha.

Cheers all!

Last edited by Nitrodave08; 08-29-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:01 AM
01ntrainultra
Advanced

That radio is going to control 4ohm speakers....so pretty much the sky's the limit when you're installing new ones. You can go with a 5.25" or get the adaptors for 6.5" Either way is fine. I went with Polk Audio speakers that were marine-rated.

Personally, for my 02 Ultra I put in a Sony "Mechless" aftermarket radio. My stock cassette player sounded ok, but it had a cracked display that just looked like crap. My new deck cost less than 100 bucks and it sounds way better than my old one. It's loaded with features, and I don't have to worry about carrying around cd's or cassettes. It plays an IPOD internally, or I just load a jump-drive up with music and off I go. I'm a bit more tech-savvy than most....so its a piece of cake to get most any music that I want.

I went with a Biketronics install kit and it works like a champ. The installation brackets were a breeze and the adaptor allows you to retain your handlebar controls.

Old 08-30-2012, 01:51 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

you may find it useful to add a capacitor as a filter on the power.

stop by any car audio shop and tell them what you are experiencing and they'll help you filter out the alternator noise ( a whine that goes up and down with the revs.)

spark plugs MUST be resistor type- and plug wires should just be ordinary stock style ( no "magic "adds 15 horsepower" plug wires).

nice good ground is good.

Mike

Old 08-30-2012, 11:10 PM
Nitrodave08
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies! Did figure out that when I use an external source (Cell phone as MP3 player) no issues. Plugs are stock, wires are stock (soon to be replaced with stocks). Grounds are checked nice and tight. Going to check for corrosion. Know with either hidden or rear ant that I got issues. So thinking that the ant is collecting something. Plus trying direct ground of HU chassis. Just damn tired of taking the front flaring off. And 1 day off a week suks!

Old 09-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Nitrodave08
Intermediate

Correction, still getting static pops even with MP3 player. Tied HU chassis to frame ground, still issues. Also while riding at 2000rpm and above get the statics, but pull the clutch and let the engine idle down while moving it goes away. It is not a varible static with the engine speed like the famous alternator whine. Just need to find the wire harness color codes to put in a car HU, then upgrade to the full blown system at a later time.