Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ERT oil pressure kit review

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 08:18 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default ERT oil pressure kit review

Having had my 99 EG standard now for 3 months and listening to the noise and looking at a oil pressure gauge that read almost zero at idle I decided to do something about it, or try. I looked into the SE tensioner upgrade, going gear drive and other options. I decided since the indy I bought the bike from had put new tensioners in it to try a less expensive attempt for better oil pressure and less noise, I really can't believe an engine should make that much noise when hot, I have a race car and if it made that much noise I would be taking it apart. I decided to try the least expensive route and if that did not work to move on to a more expensive solution, so, I bought the ERT oil pressure spring kit for $70, comes with cam cover gasket, 3 springs, 3 roll pins and 2 exhaust gaskets. I also bought off of e bay a cam/crank gear locking tool and a tensioner tool, about $30 total. The kit comes with instructions and there is also step by step with pictures on their web site. Having a race car and being a gear head it did not look like a big deal, having never worked on a HD before I took my time and carefully went step by step. I completed the job, checked and re checked everything, started the bike and watched the oil pressure go up to almost 50lbs cold, wow, very good so far. I shut the bike off, cleaned up and went to bed. Next morning off to work I go, oil pressure cruising after warm at 2,500 rpm went from less then 20lbs to 32lbs, at hot idle from almost 0 to about 8lbs, this is with the blue spring provided in the kit the smallest one. The motor sounded quieter but I was not sold yet, was early morning and about 65 degrees, the ride home would tell the truth. Going home it was about 90 degrees and when the bike was hot the engine noise was much quieter by more then half, no more loud marbles rattling around in there and much better oil pressure. In the end, the kit was well worth it and better oil pressure works, with 43k on the engine now I will eventually upgrade the cam system when I need new tensioners, but for now she runs great, so instead of tensioner upgrading I am going to put a stereo in it lol. Thats my review of the ERT oil pressure spring kit.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:15 PM
fwb35
Road Warrior

I thought I would add some pics

My cam plate has had the upgraded bearing already and the cam shoe is after 5k miles

The spring on the far right is the stock spring, the other 3 are from the kit, I tried the blue spring first, then the yellow, the yellow spring put me right where I wanted to be pressure wise, better pressure with much less engine noise.

Attached Thumbnails ERT oil pressure kit review-cam-plate.jpg   ERT oil pressure kit review-tensioner-shoe.jpg   ERT oil pressure kit review-pump-springs.jpg  

Last edited by fwb35; 09-08-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:32 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior

Update, with the yellow spring my oil pressure is right where it should be now, very happy with the kit and less engine noise.

Also a thank you to ERT, great support, I called them twice and they spoke to me at length about my bike and oil pressure.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:00 PM
Wv7o
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems more people are looking into boosting the oil pressure on there engines, price does not seem to bad and I do not recall seeing any negative reasons to not do this.

With the yellow spring what is your oil pressure at idle when cold and after the engine is fully warmed up?

What is the oil pressure reading when going down the road at say 2500 rpm.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior

As soon as I start the bike with the choke, I have a carb, it goes up over 40 but the idle is higher then normal, put the choke in and it comes down to about between 30 and 40, is also idling lower then normal because is cold. When hot it is now about 10 at idle, when cruising at about 2,500 is about 34 to 36 hot, was below 20 before the mod, engine also now makes less noise, was not a hard job at all if you can wrench a little.