Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tennessee in a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 05:09 AM
slughill
Road Captain
Received 339 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Tennessee in a trailer

A buddy and I are heading to Tennessee this Saturday On a Bike/golf trip and due to luggage,time and weather we are going to have to trailer there and back. We have a enclosed trail ,wheel chock's, tie downs etc. Looking for advice on the process. How tight, leave in neutral ,stuff like that. 2 full dresser's and it's tight. do you put padding between or lean them to the out side a hair.
Thanks
Slughill

Oh Yeah, coming in from Detroit

Old 10-15-2012, 05:45 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by slughill
A buddy and I are heading to Tennessee this Saturday On a Bike/golf trip and due to luggage,time and weather we are going to have to trailer there and back. We have a enclosed trail ,wheel chock's, tie downs etc. Looking for advice on the process. How tight, leave in neutral ,stuff like that. 2 full dresser's and it's tight. do you put padding between or lean them to the out side a hair.
Thanks
Slughill

Oh Yeah, coming in from Detroit
I run straps from the front down tubes pulling the bike forward (about a 45 degree angle) into the chocks. Run straps off the back passenger floor board mounts to keep the rear from bouncing around. Check the straps after the first 5 to 10 miles then again every time you stop. I wouldn't use padding because I wouldn't let them touch in the first place. I leave mine in neutral because it ain't going anywhere and I figure it is easier on everything. Leave the kick/jiffy stand up too. I've never had a problem when hauling one in the trailer and I nearly turned my little 5X8 V-nose trailer over one time....had it up on one wheel, bike never moved!

A good idea I think, that I've never tried; but put a block under the frame/motor and tighten down till contact is made. Keeps you from over compressing the shocks. (not a problem if you are pulling forward into a chock in my experience. (I use a "Condor" type chock that I made. A regular type chock might give different results.)

Old 10-15-2012, 06:53 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size is your enclosed trailer? I have a 6x10 and it is too small for more than one bike.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Defintely cut a wood block to slip under the frame and pull down on it. Keeps the ties from getting loose from bouncing. Kury makes a nice tie down loop that bolts to the bike where the spot light/ turn signal bar bolts on. Works on an EG but not on an SG.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:17 AM
sesto123
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+2 on the block under the frame. It works well and keeps the bike(s) stable

Old 10-15-2012, 09:50 AM
milleda31
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Condor chock and PowerTye Big Daddys...two on the front forks just above the front fender mount. Two more on the rear, (I went around the saddlebag supports). One smaller strap around the chock and through the front wheel to help secure the scoot in the chock.

I left it in neutral but I don't think it makes much difference because it didn't move an inch.

Attached Thumbnails Tennessee in a trailer-2012-10-10_12-10-27_110.jpg  
Old 10-16-2012, 04:53 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by milleda31
Condor chock and PowerTye Big Daddys...two on the front forks just above the front fender mount. Two more on the rear, (I went around the saddlebag supports). One smaller strap around the chock and through the front wheel to help secure the scoot in the chock.

I left it in neutral but I don't think it makes much difference because it didn't move an inch.

I won't say this isn't good, but I'd rather strap off the frame myself.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:06 AM
slughill
Road Captain
Received 339 Likes on 175 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions guys, buddy's trailer is setup for 2 bikes in staggered position. His is a road glide and mine is an ultra. Hard to find a clear run for the straps with the fairings and the lowers. Right off the down tube over the engine guard seem's to work the best. I like the block under the frame idea. I'm Starting to think once I get past Ohio I'm pulling her out and ride the rest(lol). Did a trial set up and there is only about 21/2 inches between my fairing and out side wall of trailer and about the same between his handle bar and my fairing. That's why I was thinking of padding.It's a crime to trailer it anyway, but it happens.
Thanks Guy's
Slughill

Old 10-16-2012, 05:31 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You never said what straps you have. If you don't have GOOD ratcheting straps, GET some. Don't use worn straps, small/ cheap straps or straps with a friction lock. You don't want damage because you saved $30 on a set of straps.

Old 10-16-2012, 06:03 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Call me paranoid but when I have trailered I have double strapped both the front and back of the bike. Ya never know when something can break.

Quick Reply: Tennessee in a trailer