Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker Selector Switch

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 08:07 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Speaker Selector Switch

Does anyone know if the Ultra speaker selector switch can be used on a Street Glide to turn off the front speakers?

I have posted on other threads about this but have not gotten the answers I need. The switch is over $80 so I would rather know for sure before I throw that much money away.

If it can be done, I would appreciate some wiring information.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:09 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

can you tell me why ?

depending, I may be able to give alternate solution.

Mike

Old 12-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

It's a switch. If its intended to turn off a set of speakers, it has no idea where those speakers are mounted. Yes, it can be wired to turn off any speakers, regardless of their location.

You may have to manually wire it, but yes, it can be done.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:25 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mkguitar
can you tell me why ?

depending, I may be able to give alternate solution.

Mike
Well, to make a long story longer, I listen to my stereo mainly thru earbuds and when I go thru a town and pull up to a light next to a cop, I would rather my fairing speakers are not blasting.

I had my inner fairing swapped out this weekend with a painted one and I would rather not mount switches in the new fairing like I had in the old one for a cleaner look.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:29 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wanna Ride
It's a switch. If its intended to turn off a set of speakers, it has no idea where those speakers are mounted. Yes, it can be wired to turn off any speakers, regardless of their location.

You may have to manually wire it, but yes, it can be done.
The switch I'm talking about is a different animal. Instead of interrupting the speaker wires, it (from the best I can understand) turns off and on a circuit inside the radio. It only has 2 wires that actually control the speakers. The normal switch for something like this needs 4 wires.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:42 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by vickers1
Well, to make a long story longer, I listen to my stereo mainly thru earbuds
that was my guess, I do the same.

however my speakers are at a fairly low level as my earbuds ( and the various ones i use are all the same) are much more efficient than the speakers, in fact I usually have to use an inline volume on the earbuds to get the signal to noise ratio up.

so at "normal" listening levels, my speakers are pretty much inaudible if I pop the earbuds out

If you wanted a switch, you'd have to use a dummy load on the amp

Mike

Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior

I've been using a 4 pin Radio Shack rocker switch to turn my fronts off and will install another one if necessary but the speaker selector switch will do the same thing if I can figure it out.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:27 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From the owners manual - the "off" position is what you seek I believe
"A three position speaker (SPKR) switch is located on the inner fairing cap of the FLHTCU and the FLTR. See FLHTCU SPKR Switch .

NOTE:
The SPKR switch found on the FLTR is inoperable.

Off/Forward: In the forward position, the speakers are off. Audio (radio, CD/MP3, AUX and CB) is played in the headsets only. During simultaneous CB reception, the other audio source is muted and only the CB is heard in the headsets.

Center: In the center position, the radio, CD/MP3 player or AUX is played over the speakers while the CB is played only in the headsets.

On/Rearward: In the rearward position, the speakers are on. With the SPKR indicator lit, the radio, the CD/MP3 player, or any AUX device and the CB are played through both the rider and passenger speakers. When a CB signal is received, other audio sources mute and the CB is played over the speakers. Refer to Audio Routing and Mixing Combinations.

NOTE:
The intercom is only heard in the headsets, regardless of the SPKR switch position."

Old 12-10-2012, 09:38 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by glide2meetu
From the owners manual - the "off" position is what you seek I believe
"A three position speaker (SPKR) switch is located on the inner fairing cap of the FLHTCU and the FLTR. See FLHTCU SPKR Switch .

NOTE:
The SPKR switch found on the FLTR is inoperable.

Off/Forward: In the forward position, the speakers are off. Audio (radio, CD/MP3, AUX and CB) is played in the headsets only. During simultaneous CB reception, the other audio source is muted and only the CB is heard in the headsets.

Center: In the center position, the radio, CD/MP3 player or AUX is played over the speakers while the CB is played only in the headsets.

On/Rearward: In the rearward position, the speakers are on. With the SPKR indicator lit, the radio, the CD/MP3 player, or any AUX device and the CB are played through both the rider and passenger speakers. When a CB signal is received, other audio sources mute and the CB is played over the speakers. Refer to Audio Routing and Mixing Combinations.

NOTE:
The intercom is only heard in the headsets, regardless of the SPKR switch position."
Yes the off position is what I seek. Now will it work on my Street Glide and how do you wire that sucka?

I know that 2 of the 4 wires control the light and someone responded to my previous thread with:

There are only 2 wires that go up to the headunit. The Orange/Blue on Pin # 1 goes to the same power source that your radio goes to and supplies power to your switch light.

Black/Green is ground
Brown/Orange goes to pin # 13 on the 23 pin connector on the radio
Violet/Orange goes to pin # 21 on the 23 pin connector on the radio.

The above is simple enough but I was hoping someone that has installed one on their bike could verify the wiring and that the above would work before I bought an $85 switch to put in the drawer.

Last edited by vickers1; 12-10-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:01 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ithink if you wire like the diagram I sent you it will work. Thats how mine works and I believe the street glide is no different as long as you wire it according to the diagram. You will get the light and all the same results. If you need more of the wiring diagram pm me.

Attached Thumbnails Speaker Selector Switch-switch.jpg  

Last edited by glide2meetu; 12-10-2012 at 10:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Speaker Selector Switch