Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax or Power Vision with Auto Tune

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:02 AM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Thundermax or Power Vision with Auto Tune

Have purchased and installed a Power Vision and am thinking about adding autotune. After reading up on the auto tune module, seems it isn't exactly auto tune but logging and uploading vs. the Thundermax which continously tunes the bike.

Both have wide band sensors, both end up costing about the same when you add in the auto tune with the Power Vision.

I know there are a lot of threads on here about both, i have reviewed them all. I am leaning to the Thundermax as it seems more full featured vs. the Power Vision, but have already purchased and married the Power Vision to my bike so in kind of a quandry, as i am not wanting to make a 2nd huge investment.

Thoses that have opinions lets hear them. I like both units and can not see going wrong with either but i guess i want it all.

Going on a 12 FLTRXSE with a 110.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:32 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyroadglide
Have purchased and installed a Power Vision and am thinking about adding autotune. After reading up on the auto tune module, seems it isn't exactly auto tune but logging and uploading vs. the Thundermax which continously tunes the bike.

Both have wide band sensors, both end up costing about the same when you add in the auto tune with the Power Vision.

I know there are a lot of threads on here about both, i have reviewed them all. I am leaning to the Thundermax as it seems more full featured vs. the Power Vision, but have already purchased and married the Power Vision to my bike so in kind of a quandry, as i am not wanting to make a 2nd huge investment.

Thoses that have opinions lets hear them. I like both units and can not see going wrong with either but i guess i want it all.

Going on a 12 FLTRXSE with a 110.
I also have the PV on a rkc with fuel moto stage 1 incl. 2-1-2. FM said I wouldn't see big gains on that configuration with the wide band autotune. I decided to buy a set of v&h monsters instead from them. They were decent enough to lead me away from a mod that wouldn't give much performance increase. They said the auto tune was better on more "built" motors. May want to give them a call..

Old 02-08-2013, 01:46 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Having had both systems (currently using PV), and assuming money is no object, go with the T-Max!! I miss mine!!

Old 02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
HDTimFLHX
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no experience with the Power Vision but I do have the T-max and I really like it. I've never mess with tuners before I got this one and I was able to get in there and do everything that I wanted to do right away. I'm sure there is much more that I could be doing if I knew any better. It is pricey but I think it's worth it...

The following users liked this post:
Hmarashi (09-13-2019)
Old 02-08-2013, 01:59 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's just a money consideration keep your PV & add auto tune. You get data logging with your PV. You have to haul your laptop along to data log ThunderMax. The ThunderMax does auto tune as you ride, but it's limited to a few percent of off sets. That's not a problem, & it does a fine job of auto tuning. You just need to write the off sets to the base map & start again for further off sets. Takes about 5 minutes. Mine was near perfect by the third time I wrote the off sets to the map. I like the ThunderMax, but it sounds like the PV will do the same thing, just differently.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:01 PM
tubeman426
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a powervision with the wideband kit, very easy I did 3 data runs and it runs perfect I reflash it on the road no need for a computer. My buddy has done about 5 bikes with thundermaxes and likes them easy to use but he has to mess with the timing quite a bit because of knocking, the thundermax has no spark knock sensing capibilities. With the powervision you retain the factory spark knock capibilities and it will auto tune out the spark knock when you use auto tune.
They are both good but I think keeping the factory ecm and reflashing is better more r&d has gone into the Harley ecm than they could have afforded with the thundermax.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:15 PM
CVORoadKing2013
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I am in almost the same position as the OP but I have a thundermax and am thinking of a PV.
I have a new CVO road king coming and was planning on moving my V any H true duals and thundermax. Just not sure if it is worth it.

For the OP don't forget if you switch to the tmax you will need an 09 exhaust with the 18mm ports for the wide sensors. Also if you go with the auto tune module for the PV you need an exhaust with both sets of bungs. At least that is my understanding

Old 02-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Uncle Chester
Extreme HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by tubeman426
I have a powervision with the wideband kit, very easy I did 3 data runs and it runs perfect I reflash it on the road no need for a computer. My buddy has done about 5 bikes with thundermaxes and likes them easy to use but he has to mess with the timing quite a bit because of knocking, the thundermax has no spark knock sensing capibilities. With the powervision you retain the factory spark knock capibilities and it will auto tune out the spark knock when you use auto tune.
They are both good but I think keeping the factory ecm and reflashing is better more r&d has gone into the Harley ecm than they could have afforded with the thundermax.
+1
I went with the pv and besides price being a factor keeping the factory ecm with knock capabilities played a major role in my decision. I'm not knocking the thundermax but for me the pv was a better choice. If I was in your shoes and already had the pv I wouldn't think twice about getting the auto tune for it.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:36 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,434 Likes on 21,388 Posts

I'm sure that there are negatives with the T-Max, but I sure have never heard of any..
It is easy to use, or?

Old 02-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Renold
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed a Thundermax in January and I totally love it. My motor just purrs down the road. Pinging is corrected by a good tune in my opinion and Tmax does just that. I did have a friend mention recently that if a Tmax should go bad your stuck. He suggested to me to carry the HD ECM in case I ever have to "limp" home. I will carry it on longer trips in the future just for piece of mind. I love mine,best money and mod I did to my bike.

Quick Reply: Thundermax or Power Vision with Auto Tune