Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flhtp

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Flhtp

Can anyone speak to ex-police rides???

Old 02-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Teachinator
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get it. Are you asking if anyone of us are Harley Whisperers?

Old 02-15-2013, 07:39 PM
iglideUC
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Buddy of mine bought one at an auction. He regrets it and would never do it again! Didnt say want PD rode it but it was trashed in the electronics dept.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:01 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

i have an 04 ex police road king that i have had since 05 and i have completely converted into a road glide. The bike has over 144K on the clock and has NEVER left me stranded anywhere. I have ridden it on road, off road, in rain, sleet, snow and it seemed like through hell where it was so hot you felt your skin cooking.

No problems what so ever. The wiring was cut up in a few places when i got it where the police items had been removed without care. Easily fixed.

When i converted it to a road glide, i swapped out the main harness and added the interconnect harness more because the wiring was 10+ years old than it needed replacing.

I have found the police bikes due to the heavy service use, generally hold up well with routine maintenance. I won't say they are built better, it just seems like it.

I would not hesitate to purchase a police bike if it was what i wanted. By the way, mine was a city of Birmingham Alabama police bike.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:05 PM
omaho5
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There seems to be a nice selection of them around New hampshire dealers.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:15 PM
freedub2003
Tourer
Default Flhpi

I have a Road King Police bike from Orange County Florida. I have had it for a few years now. I have had no problems with it, they are good to customize the way you want to.
The paint on mine was messed up from where they scraped the old decals off it, but I was going to repaint it anyway. I have since added a Reckless fairing with a Kenwood receiver and Clarion 6x9 speakers.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 633 Likes on 505 Posts

all depends on who and how all the cop electronics where installed and then removed,and who did the maintenance,sometimes the local dealer does it under a lease agreement others its the public works guys,sometimes i think their better than most dealers.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:46 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

As above it all varies with the situation.

some PD's buy, some lease.

some do their own work, some use a dealer

some thrash them, some don't

some require that they be restored to civvy trim, some leave the lights on, some butcher them off.

the buyer needs to beware.

my 1989 FXRP cost me $4500 in 1990 at a CHP sealed bid auction.
It had all the dealer service records, 40K miles, pursuit motor, and as required by CHP, new tires, brakes & lights- all "safety equipment" was new for liability reasons.
This was when dealers had 2 year wait lists for big twins.

I'm still getting my moneys worth out of it.

mike

Old 02-15-2013, 10:57 PM
ftworthcowboy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost bought a Police bike when I traded for my RKC, the other posters are correct about the wiring as when the siren, lights, etc are removed it is done roughly a lot of the time. Also, check underneath to see how much dragging was done and how the crash bars are scraped as a lot of Depts encourage their Motor Officers (at least in this area) to compete in 'Police Motorcycle Rodeo' to test and practice their skill. Also, If a bike has been thru 'Motor School' it has been dropped a few times.
If my RKC would not have been loaded with extras I would have bought the clean Police Bike. That was back in mid October 2012 and last weekend the same Police Bike was still at the dealer, someone is missing a good buy on that one. It was priced about $1000 more than my RKC and needs tires, had a few paint dings. It is a 2010 with 6600 miles, I just figured it would have cost me a good bit more with the extras I would have added (mufflers, etc)

Last edited by ftworthcowboy; 02-15-2013 at 11:00 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:52 AM
KGlideVivid
Road Captain

Know a guy who got one that was a police bike. Looks good and he never had any problems with it. I think you can get some pretty good deals on them.

Quick Reply: Flhtp