Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joe rocket textile jackets

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 01:37 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Joe rocket textile jackets

I am in the market for a new riding jacket. I shed some pounds and now my favorite jacket is getting rather roomy. It's a powertrip textile jacket, and it looks like this style has been discontinued.

I have been doing some research and the Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 looks like it should give me what I need out of a jacket, plus it is on close out for a good price since they released the 3.0. The only thing is I don't like is the armor, so if I buy one I will pull it out, looks to be removable.

Anyone wearing this jacket? Are you happy with the quality? Are the zippers and snaps rugged?

Thanks.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a couple of Joe Rocket jackets back in my crotch rocket days as recent as 2011 and let me tell you...WOW. They were awesome. Everyhting on them was top notch, including the amount or room in places such as the arms and such so moving around was very easy. Thats actually saying a lot considering those type of jackets are designed around the rinder being in the clumped over position and not really moving much at all compared to us bagger and cruiser guys. The only other jackets that have been comparable have been the Harley ones, but i wouldnt be surprised if they were made by joe rocket or some other company. Just bought a modular helmet from the Harley dealer and paid $225 for it and then went to the rocket dealer and saw the exact same helmet, model number and all, made by HJC and it was selling for $175. So like I said, I wouldnt be surprised if the Harley stuff was made by another company because my jackets feel so much like my old joe rocket ones.

Old 03-07-2013, 03:23 PM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have I think the first version of the Alter Ego, and still use it and like it.

Eshaw, I highly doubt HD makes any of their own clothing/helmets, boots, etc. Most of their stuff is made by other manufacturers, and Harley puts their logo on it, then ups the price for the privilege of buying it from them.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:14 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

I've had some Joe Rocket jackets and they are great for the price. My old Joe rocket mesh is still a favorite when it warms up. Don't know why ya would not use the armor??

Old 03-07-2013, 05:45 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
I've had some Joe Rocket jackets and they are great for the price. My old Joe rocket mesh is still a favorite when it warms up. Don't know why ya would not use the armor??
My power trip has the armor, and its not comfortable to me, plus it takes up a lot more room in the bags when it's to hot for a jacket.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Leather for me. Check out Leather Up dot com for some excellent quality and inexpensive nice leather riding jackets if interested in leather.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:04 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
I am in the market for a new riding jacket. I shed some pounds and now my favorite jacket is getting rather roomy. It's a powertrip textile jacket, and it looks like this style has been discontinued.

I have been doing some research and the Joe Rocket Alter Ego 2.0 looks like it should give me what I need out of a jacket, plus it is on close out for a good price since they released the 3.0. The only thing is I don't like is the armor, so if I buy one I will pull it out, looks to be removable.

Anyone wearing this jacket? Are you happy with the quality? Are the zippers and snaps rugged?

Thanks.
If you fall it's the armor that is going to protect you when the material wears through as you slide/tumble along the pavement. As a former track rider I've done this a few times. A textile jacket will wear through somewhere in the 5ft range. A leather jacket (without thick double layers on the strike points) somewhere after 10 ft. Talking about strike points here where significant body weight is applied (i.e. knees, elbows, shoulders, etc.). Without armor underneath your skin starts to get shredded. It also protects you from impact forces. In my honest option I think it is foolish to remove the armor from a motorcycle jacket. If the jacket fits right you won't even feel it is there while riding. If your going to remove the armor, what's the point in wearing a motorcycle jacket over just a regular street jacket?

Old 03-07-2013, 11:07 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

easy to bash for pricing, but the H-D Switchback 3 in 1 is the best jacket I've ever owned. The flexibility of textile craps all over leather ( and I gotta some leather jackets too) for hot/cold, wet/dry

the switchback is an easy, easy conversion

cheaper when purchased used on craigslist or ebay.

about $160 seems to be the going ebay rate.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-07-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:09 PM
russdana
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the leatherup dot com. And they sell some nice textile jackets and also carry Joe Rocket.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:17 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

You might also take a look at the Olympia "Switchback"...

Quick Reply: Joe rocket textile jackets