Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Six Speed Transmission Question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 01:21 PM
MOTOX56
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Six Speed Transmission Question.

08 FLHX street glide main drive small oil seal leaking, is it possible to replace this seal by removing inner primary bearing race and drive sprocket without removing the tramsmission main shaft? Or would it be possible to install a second main drive gear small oil seal on top of leaking seal? Seal is not leaking bad but I would like to repair, really don't want to remove all transmission shafts and gears to do this. Thanks in advance for any help or sugestions.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:37 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the 08 is anything like the pre07 stuff (i believe it is), then yes. Once you remove the inner primary and the drive pulley (you don't need to pull the primary bearing race off to get this far) the seal is right there on the outside of the transmission case. It can be pried out and a new one pressed in. Pretty simple once you get it torn down. Again, im assuming the late model stuff hasn't changed drastically

Also, dont take my word for it would pick up your HD repair manual. It is a priceless asset if you ever work on your bike

Edit: yikes, just read closer and saw you were refering to the small seal between the mainshaft/main drive gear. Last time I replaced one I pulled the gearset.... maybe someone else knows a shortcut??

Last edited by Frankenbagger; 03-21-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:40 PM
captsluggo
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The small seal could probably be changed without pulling the gearset. It will likely be a bit tougher to pry out with the mainshaft still there. I doubt you would have enough depth available to put another seal over the leaking one though.
Have you given any thought as to why it is leaking? Are you hearing any speed related whining noises?
I ask because I recently changed a maindrive gear bearing (8967) after hearing it whine. I could only hear it while slowing to a stop.
My hearing is not that great, so as soon as I noticed it, I pulled the clutch release cover and sure enough there were metal particles.
I drained the gear oil (Spectro platimun since first change at less than 1000 miles) and under bright sunlight could see the sparkles.
With the drive sprocket removed and gearset still in place, I had no problem feeling the bearing gone bad while barely rotating the maindrive gear.
Mine had 18,000 miles of pretty light duty. I should have known the drivebelt was too damn tight the very first time I touched it at about 100 miles.
Captsluggo

Old 03-21-2013, 08:41 PM
MOTOX56
Intermediate

Yes I have manual but it is not clear if seal can be changed without removing mainshaft. No noise or metal on magnetic drain plug. Only leaks while parked on jiffy stand, leaves a spot the size of a quarter overnite, but I don't like it. Thanks for your replies, maybe I will figure this out.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:58 PM
MOTOX56
Intermediate

Just to answer my own question, I was able to replace main shaft seal without removing transmission shaft or gears. Once I removed inner primary bearing race from transmission main shaft I drilled two small holes in seal, then screwed in small sheet metal screws and pulled out seal. I was able to cafefully drive in new seal with a small punch. Reinstalled primary assembly with primary fluid and trans oil, rode about 30miles and no leaks. This has to be easier than gutting the whole trans to replace seal.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:12 PM
Frankenbagger
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats. Sure sounds easier than pulling the gearset, Ill have to keep this trick in mind. A little bit of ingenuity will go a long way...