Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pak vs Power Commander for newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Wilks132
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pak vs Power Commander for newbie

I have recently upgraded from an 06 sportster to a 12 road king. I just ordered the vance and hines dresser duals and the klock werks ss 4 in exhaust along with an arlen ness big sucker. Im looking at either getting the VH fuel pak or the power commander and zero experience with this type of system. I guess my question would be if anyone has a similar set up and which would be easier for a do it yourselfer. The fuel pak is cheaper and seems pretty much straight forward. the power commander seems alot more complicated but has more options down the road. thanks in advance

Old 03-25-2013, 04:49 PM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the TTS Mastertune.
The TTS does not "piggyback" onto the existing ECM. It reprograms it based upon your installs &/or driving style, but allows you to go back to the original if you ever need to do so.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:30 PM
pureoper
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello,I was at the same place as you and i bought the v&h fuelpac.I couldnt get bike to run right so i got a pcv from fuel moto and couldnt be happier.Tried to sell my fuelpac on craigs list and cant even get rid of it.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:41 PM
2011FXDC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just ordered the V&H Dresser Duals, Rush slip-ons and Fuelpak for mine. There are a lot of negative posts about the Fuelpak but I had one on my Dyna, put one on the wife's new 103 Street Bob and never had a problem on either bike. Actually my Dyna ran really well with it. Good enough for me to order it for my Street Glide. I think it depends on what you are expecting from it. I could care less about power and just needed to add a little more fuel.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:43 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 557 Likes on 308 Posts

Here is another opinion. Night Rider Xied's. I've used them on Harley's with great results at a lot lower cost.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:47 PM
2011FXDC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
Here is another opinion. Night Rider Xied's. I've used them on Harley's with great results at a lot lower cost.
I have seriously considered those as well..

Old 03-25-2013, 06:47 PM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mllgator
Take a look at the TTS Mastertune.
The TTS does not "piggyback" onto the existing ECM. It reprograms it based upon your installs &/or driving style, but allows you to go back to the original if you ever need to do so.
Removing the Power commander from the bike does the exact same thing. Also, nothing has been proven to show that type of system being an advantage over the Power Commander "piggyback" system. Seeing as though the OP asked about Power Commander and Fuel Pak and the ease of them and NOT the TTS, I will chime in. I have the Power Commander V and have used it on all of my bikes, to include the crotch rockets that I recently came off of. I will tell you that it is far and beyond the best tuner system available for the money in terms of user friendliness, accuracy, reliability, tunability, and support. It takes all of about 5 minutes to install it on your bike (all you do is disconnect O2 sensors, and plug it into the computer plug). It takes about 30 seconds to download and install the desired "map" from either power commander website or from various vendors on here. And thats it. No scheduling dyno appointments and having some guy "tune" your bike based on "his" preferences, no more spending $400 a dyno trip everytime you get something done to your bike...its just a much simpler and more cost effective option to all the other "piggyback" and ECM reporgramming systems on the market. I installed cams on my bike...got a map emailed to me from Fuel Moto, plugged in computer to power commander, hit "send" button, and 2 seconds later it was DONE! Stage I was the same way. Took maybe 2 minutes TOTAL AND I didnt have to spend $400 on a dyno tune and run the risk of some knucklehead screwing it all up. And the bike runs FLAWLESS!!

Best bet is to order one from Fuel Moto so that way you always have support and access to a map for just about everything imaginable that you can do to your bike. If they dont have a map for you, I can assure you that Dragos or some other vendor will. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-25-2013, 06:57 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did a FM Micro tuner as I never plan on doing more than a stage one works great so far. I would guess it depends on if a stage1 will be where you stop or if you have plans for more done in the future?? I'm sure the power vision is the best. I just couldn't see spending 500 bones when I know I'll never do more to the engine.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Power commander is wwaaaayyy better than fuel pak! Power vision better yet...

Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 PM
fishbust
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had a couple powercommanders. Couldn't be any easier to plug into your laptop and download the file. Their customer service is also very good if you find your file is not ideal and they will help you dial in a few numbers for improvement. Once you have it set, you can forget it and just ride.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pak vs Power Commander for newbie