Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPhone Charging Setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 01:16 PM
taygull
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPhone Charging Setup?

I have an iPHone 5...I have installed Carlini 16" gangster apes and when I did this I ran an internal USB cable from the battery area (not connected just a USB) and the small jack that goes to my book audio through the bars. I made a small hole (after consulting with Carlini about bar integrity) and have the iPhone 5 lighting jack and the 3mm cable hanging below the bend in the upper pull back area. I have a bracket on order and will mount the phone there (left side).

What I need to do is connect the USB to a fuse and then to the battery under the seat.

Can anyone provide specific parts needed to go from the bike battery through a fuse and into a USB cable?

Old 04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
Radimus
Tourer
Old 04-01-2013, 08:10 PM
Brusier1028
Tourer

You will need the adaptor to go from 12v to 5v (thats what the Iphone charges at). Then buy and inline fuse and cut it up to make it work.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:12 PM
Radimus
Tourer

Originally Posted by Brusier1028
You will need the adaptor to go from 12v to 5v (thats what the Iphone charges at). Then buy and inline fuse and cut it up to make it work.

The one I posted has the regulator and built in circut protection built in.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:22 PM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I have two...

For a permanent mount I used a "Tapp Lite" waterproof port. This has an inline fuse between the battery and the USB port and is rated at 1 amp for the iPhone. They also make one in a 2 amp if you were wanting to charge an iPad.

http://www.pashnit.com/product/3br/3...p_usb.html#top

Having the original battery charger cable still installed, I picked up a SABEUS-1 so my wife can plug her iPhone in and charge it as well. Works pretty good and I can toss it to a buddy in need during a ride as well. Again, plugging into the charger cable uses another inline fuse.

http://www.burnsmoto.com/zoot-fresh-...sb-charger.php

Hope this helps!

Last edited by yzergod; 04-01-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:11 PM
slickrick_58
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same as you, wire through the bar into the headlight housing, for my iPhone holder from http://www.michaelsstainlessinnovations.com/ . I bought a cheap charger for the cigarette lighter and opened up the case. When I got it opened it had a small fuse built into it. I wired it to run off of the accessory switch so I can turn it off when the phone it not attached. Mounted in the headlight nacelle is clean and dry. I see you do not need the charger for your cable but I thought others might be able to benefit from both installations. Good luck with yours.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 120 Likes on 83 Posts

Great links in this thread.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 AM
taygull
Tourer

Thanks everyone! I'll start looking over these now for the best option...I do kinda like the idea of running it to the accessory switch instead of having another wire coming off the battery.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:54 AM
taygull
Tourer

Originally Posted by slickrick_58
I did the same as you, wire through the bar into the headlight housing, for my iPhone holder from http://www.michaelsstainlessinnovations.com/ . I bought a cheap charger for the cigarette lighter and opened up the case. When I got it opened it had a small fuse built into it. I wired it to run off of the accessory switch so I can turn it off when the phone it not attached. Mounted in the headlight nacelle is clean and dry. I see you do not need the charger for your cable but I thought others might be able to benefit from both installations. Good luck with yours.
hence I don't have a cigarette lighter..

Can you be more specific on how you did this? I guess the only challenge I have now is I've already ran the iPhone white cable through the bars and into the headlight area. So I need to be able to plug the USB end into the charger.

I looked in the Touring Models service manual and don't see anything about the auxiliary switch...any guidance would be great.

Last edited by taygull; 04-02-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:01 AM
taygull
Tourer

Originally Posted by yzergod

Having the original battery charger cable still installed, I picked up a SABEUS-1 so my wife can plug her iPhone in and charge it as well. Works pretty good and I can toss it to a buddy in need during a ride as well. Again, plugging into the charger cable uses another inline fuse.

http://www.burnsmoto.com/zoot-fresh-...sb-charger.php

Hope this helps!
Now this looks like a great option...Since I have a USB cable ran to the battery and just waiting to connect this looks like a great option.

Quick Reply: iPhone Charging Setup?