Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE camplate and oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default SE camplate and oil pump?

I am running a FM 107 in my 08 Roadglide. Was thinking of upgrading to the SE camplate and oil pump. I want to pull out my oil pump to check pinion runout on the crank anyway to see if it has changed since I installed the 107 kit about 7000 miles ago.

Anyone have any experience with the SE camplate and oil pump?

Good upgrade or waste of money?

I would like to hear good and bad.

Thanks for your time,

Varooom

Old 04-16-2013, 12:15 PM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Varoon, you already have an update camplate and oil pump in your ride now.
It just isnt the fancy anodized orange with SE script machined into it.
Unless you have an clear lexancam cover you will not see this.
Again, your oilpump is the higher volume/scavenging type .
Myself on the other hand have the one I described installed on my 02 Ultra and have had no issues since installing it.
What I failed to also mention is the new style hyrdolic tensioners over the spring loaded ones of yore...
Hope this offers some info and comfort it knowing you have some money saved.
Rob

Last edited by CndUltra95; 04-18-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

The SE camplate kit was a popular upgrade for TC88s, to cure the problems of spring tensioner wear on their cam chains. Your TC96 generation bike has that newer set-up from stock, as CndUltra95 points out.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:31 PM
mr396
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have the experience with the SE version. I did install the Feuling camplate and high flow oil pump. With the high flow oil pump I am getting much higher oil pressure, lower oil temps while riding, and I have noticed almost no more oil coming out of the breathers (I used to have quiet a bit of oil coming out.

http://www.feulingparts.com/category...es%2006%20Dyna

Just my experience.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Varooom
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Thank you for the replys, but now my little brain is confused.

PN 25284-11 is an upgrade kit for the 88s (06 and before) including hydraulic cam chain tensioners.

PN 25282-11 (what I am considering)is for 07 and up. The cam plate must be different as the 06 and earlier were press fit cams, the 07 up are not. The SE book also says that there is more oil and better scavenging on the 07 and up bikes with the larger oil pump included in the kit.

Just trying to clarify, although the 07 and up have the hydraulic cam chain tensioners it appears that the camplate and pump are still an upgrade to the stock 07 and up camplate and pump.

I am probably just reading it wrong

Varoom

Old 04-16-2013, 01:19 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,753 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by Varooom

PN 25284-11 is an upgrade kit for the 88s (06 and before) including hydraulic cam chain tensioners.

PN 25282-11 (what I am considering)is for 07 and up. The cam plate must be different as the 06 and earlier were press fit cams, the 07 up are not. The SE book also says that there is more oil and better scavenging on the 07 and up bikes with the larger oil pump included in the kit.

Just trying to clarify, although the 07 and up have the hydraulic cam chain tensioners it appears that the camplate and pump are still an upgrade to the stock 07 and up camplate and pump.

I am probably just reading it wrong

Varoom
If your runout is good (under .003, IMO) and the stock cam plate isn't scored, I would just install the Axtell oil by-pass system and keep running the stock plate and pump. Your pressure will increase to around 50 psi at cruising rpm and you will hold around 18-24 psi idle, at least that is my experience. This system is suppose to prevent aeration of the oil (foaming) and help reduce valve train noise. I installed them with the Zipper Redshift dual piston tensioners and my valve train is as quiet as it has ever been, even when it was stock.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:20 PM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Varooom

No, you are correct. There is a cam plate/oil pump upgrade for the TC88 motors, as the others have stated. But there IS also a cam plate/oil pump upgrade for the TC96/103 motors (i.e., 2007+) as well.

Here's what makes it "special," according to the MoCo...

"A great upgrade for any performance motor. The Harley-DavidsonŽ Billet Cam Support Plate is manufactured from billet aluminum with pressed-in bronze bushings, and is pre-assembled with the crankshaft bushing and oil pressure relief valve. Aluminum is specified at 6061 billet plate, heat treated to T6 specifications with a surface-hardened anodized finish to provide superior strength, rigidity, and durability. CNC-precision machining ensures precise dimensions and constant material thickness across the plate, enabling perfect alignment of cams and chains. Cam bushings are made from 660 bronze materials to provide enhanced wear resistance, and to stand up to increased loads from the high lift cams common in large displacement motors. The improved Harley-DavidsonŽ Screamin' EagleŽ high-flow oil pump provides higher pressure when the oil is hot to keep pressure drops to a minimum, and increases the oil supply by 16% and the scavenging by 29% over the '06-later Original Equipment oil pump."

Again, this is the description for Harley-DavidsonŽ Screamin' EagleŽ Billet Cam Support Plate - High Volume Oil Pump - 25282-11 -- which is designed for 2007 and newer TC motors.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:25 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by RPS1981
No, you are correct. There is a cam plate/oil pump upgrade for the TC88 motors, as the others have stated. But there IS also a cam plate/oil pump upgrade for the TC96/103 motors (i.e., 2007+) as well.

Here's what makes it "special," according to the MoCo...

"A great upgrade for any performance motor. The Harley-DavidsonŽ Billet Cam Support Plate is manufactured from billet aluminum with pressed-in bronze bushings, and is pre-assembled with the crankshaft bushing and oil pressure relief valve. Aluminum is specified at 6061 billet plate, heat treated to T6 specifications with a surface-hardened anodized finish to provide superior strength, rigidity, and durability. CNC-precision machining ensures precise dimensions and constant material thickness across the plate, enabling perfect alignment of cams and chains. Cam bushings are made from 660 bronze materials to provide enhanced wear resistance, and to stand up to increased loads from the high lift cams common in large displacement motors. The improved Harley-DavidsonŽ Screamin' EagleŽ high-flow oil pump provides higher pressure when the oil is hot to keep pressure drops to a minimum, and increases the oil supply by 16% and the scavenging by 29% over the '06-later Original Equipment oil pump."

Again, this is the description for Harley-DavidsonŽ Screamin' EagleŽ Billet Cam Support Plate - High Volume Oil Pump - 25282-11 -- which is designed for 2007 and newer TC motors.
Thats the one I got. More better scavenging is a good thing. Money well spent. Fueling pump/plate is nice but twice as much. SE is the way to go.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:27 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

While your at it look into the Zippers twin piston tensioners!

http://www.zippersperformance.com/ne...ensioners.html

Old 04-16-2013, 01:58 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CndUltra95
Varoon, you already have an update camplate and oil pump in your ride now.
It just isnt the fancy anodized orange with SE script machined into it.
Unless you have an clear lexancam cover you will not see this.
Again, your oilpump is the higher volume/scavenging type .
Myself on the other hand have the one I described installed on my 02 Ultra and have had no issues since installing it.
what I failed to also mention is the new style hyrdolic tensioners over the spring loaded ones of yore...
Hope this offers some info and comfort it knowing you ahve some money saved.
Rob

I'm running a monster .660 lift T-Man cam and think the SE cam plate is a waste of $$ I have had a few builders say the stocker more than enough.

The only reason I would change out the stocker is if I went with a custom pump from T-Man or other source that required the changes.

Quick Reply: SE camplate and oil pump?