Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Pipes /Scremn' Eagle or Rush

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 02:40 AM
billybobsrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Loud Pipes /Scremn' Eagle or Rush

After reading many posts I've come to the conclusion that all performance slip ons are loud (some more than others). There are several riders like myself who are looking for that set of pipes with the Harley rumble that won't make their ears ring after a long ride. You can't judge how loud a set of pipes areby listening to them idle on a dealership parking lot, you have to hear them out on the open road; also what isn't loud to one may be loud to another. The pipes most recommendedfor rumble above stock on this forum are: S & S SPO Ovals, D & D Fatcats & Rush with different size (interchangable) baffles.
Starting out, I purchased a set of Harley Touring mufflers which have a little rumble at idle and that's about it, next I purchased a set of Screamn' Eagle (2 piece) performance mufflers and had to start wearing ear plugs to keep my ears from ringing. Now I'm debating wheather to sell my Screamn' Eagles and by a set of Rush with the 1.75" baffles or reinstall may Touring pipes.
Most Harley owners want their bike to havea little rumble, but I don't know how anyone couldstand to run a set of straight or extremly loud pipes on their bike any length of time without some type of hearing loss and ringing in their ears. If you don't have hearing loss your probably not worried about it, but if you do, then you know how embrassing it is to ask people to repeat themselves or hear something on TV.
Anyway, thought I'd put in my 2 centson this topic and see where it goes; any and all suggestions,recommendations,adviceor critcism will be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Old 02-19-2007, 05:18 AM
cycleboy1450
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Loud Pipes /Scremn' Eagle or Rush

If you think the Screaming Eagles are to loud you will not like any of the named mufflers. Put the stock back on and don't worry about it.OtherwiseI would suggest you find the nearest hondadealership and buy a goldwing.

Old 02-19-2007, 10:23 AM
zadmat
Intermediate

unfortunately you probably would be better putting the stock mufflers back on. The other thing is if you own anything older than the 2007 you could try the 2007 stock slip ons as i have heard they are a little louder than older ones. There are some that are sold on EBAY that are stock slip-ons but are modified and offer a little more sound than stock pipes. Unfortunately you can't get the deep Harley sound with out the loud noise. I am struggling with the same thing where i ride with my wife and we would like the louder pipes but not sure on the long haul how much we would like them. What i need is two Harleys, one for touring with the wife and one i can hammer around town with the loud pipes.

Good luck and let me know what you finally get and if it works for you

Old 02-19-2007, 11:10 AM
fordpartsguy
Road Warrior

i have SE II one-peice slip-ons on my scoot and i luv'em. nice bark on accel and nice purr at cruising speed. no ringing ears here.

Old 02-19-2007, 11:38 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master

I hahve the Screaming EagleII Slip On Performance Pipes and ther are just right, not to loud and not to quite. The Rush Pipes with the 1.75 Baffles sound almost the same as the Screaming Eagle II Pipes just a little quiter

Old 02-19-2007, 11:45 AM
billybobsrk
Tourer

Thanks for your comments; two Harleys (one for touring & one for crusing) sounds like a good idea if I could afford it. The Screaming Eagle (2 piece) performance pipes do have a different tone than the (1 piece) slash up/slash down and at the time I thought I was purchasing the best one for me. I don't care for the looks of the D & D Fatcats or the S & S SPO Ovals,so that's why I've been asking for information on the Rush mufflers.
I love to hear the sound of a Harley with a set of Vance & Hines ovals, but a long run with a with a set of thesewould probably be to loud for my ears. Alot of us experience high frequency hearing loss and ringing ears with age or occupation, but still want the Harley rumble.
As far as trading my Harley in on a Honda Goldwing, I'd just as soon purchase a mountain bike.

Thanks again,
Bill

Old 02-19-2007, 12:09 PM
ndotken
Road Captain

I installed a set of Rush slip ons with 2.25" baffles on my '07 RKC. They sound good at idle but they're too quiet for me on the open road. Thinking about getting me some V&H ovals.

If you're looking for quiet, you should pick up a set of the '07 touring slipons off of Ebay. I'd send you mine but I'm going to put my RKC back to stock and sell the pipes when I trade it in on a new RG.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:49 PM
211Chuck
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: billybobsrk

After reading many posts I've come to the conclusion that all performance slip ons are loud (some more than others). There are several riders like myself who are looking for that set of pipes with the Harley rumble that won't make their ears ring after a long ride. You can't judge how loud a set of pipes areby listening to them idle on a dealership parking lot, you have to hear them out on the open road; also what isn't loud to one may be loud to another. The pipes most recommendedfor rumble above stock on this forum are: S & S SPO Ovals, D & D Fatcats & Rush with different size (interchangable) baffles.
Starting out, I purchased a set of Harley Touring mufflers which have a little rumble at idle and that's about it, next I purchased a set of Screamn' Eagle (2 piece) performance mufflers and had to start wearing ear plugs to keep my ears from ringing. Now I'm debating wheather to sell my Screamn' Eagles and by a set of Rush with the 1.75" baffles or reinstall may Touring pipes.
Most Harley owners want their bike to havea little rumble, but I don't know how anyone couldstand to run a set of straight or extremly loud pipes on their bike any length of time without some type of hearing loss and ringing in their ears. If you don't have hearing loss your probably not worried about it, but if you do, then you know how embrassing it is to ask people to repeat themselves or hear something on TV.
Anyway, thought I'd put in my 2 centson this topic and see where it goes; any and all suggestions,recommendations,adviceor critcism will be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Heres a link to help you Bill.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1298358/tm.htm

Good luck I hope you find what your looking for (I did")

Old 02-19-2007, 03:10 PM
BREAD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ndotken

I'd send you mine but I'm going to put my RKC back to stock and sell the pipes when I trade it in on a new RG.
Blasphemy... RKC for a RG? [sm=icon_beat.gif]

Old 02-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Recon
Cruiser

Supertrapp 3" tunable mufflers, Very Quiet. Gained 10hp lost no TQ on my 98kit Fatboy. I have a 06 steetglide now and like to travel and listen to my tunes so i run 07 Streetglide mufflers i bought from one of the guys online. They seem to flow a little better (I have stage 1) and have a better tone than the 06 stock slip ons.
ORIGINAL: billybobsrk

Bill

Quick Reply: Loud Pipes /Scremn' Eagle or Rush