Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with decel popping?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 08:48 AM
jgreth
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with decel popping?

My current setup:

SuperFlow cat-less headers
Cobra Twin Slash-Down mufflers with baffles removed
Thunder Torque inserts from DK Customs ( they are local to me, met them yesterday, cool folks )
FL-ViED-10 - Have adjusted amount from the lowest setting of 25% all the way up to 75% and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Before I got the Thunder Torque inserts, the torque on the low end of the curve suffered a big loss once I took the baffles out due to a loss of back pressure. The torque has been restored since installing the inserts.

Before I removed the baffles, I was already noticing plenty of popping on deceleration, so I wouldn't say that is the cause. Removing the baffles simply made it more obvious since it's noticeably louder now.

So, all of that being said... what can I do with my current setup to fix the deceleration popping? Would installing a Ness Big Sucker (or equiv A/C) help or would that hurt?

Thanks for any tips.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:54 AM
dynacop25
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jgreth
My current setup:

SuperFlow cat-less headers
Cobra Twin Slash-Down mufflers with baffles removed
Thunder Torque inserts from DK Customs ( they are local to me, met them yesterday, cool folks )
FL-ViED-10 - Have adjusted amount from the lowest setting of 25% all the way up to 75% and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Before I got the Thunder Torque inserts, the torque on the low end of the curve suffered a big loss once I took the baffles out due to a loss of back pressure. The torque has been restored since installing the inserts.

Before I removed the baffles, I was already noticing plenty of popping on deceleration, so I wouldn't say that is the cause. Removing the baffles simply made it more obvious since it's noticeably louder now.

So, all of that being said... what can I do with my current setup to fix the deceleration popping? Would installing a Ness Big Sucker (or equiv A/C) help or would that hurt?

Thanks for any tips.
Is your air cleaner stock or have you changed it... if it's stock I would start with the air cleaner and go from there.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 AM
jgreth
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dynacop25
Is your air cleaner stock or have you changed it... if it's stock I would start with the air cleaner and go from there.
A/C is stock. That's why I asked if that would help. Though, I don't want to do it if it'll make it potentially worse ( not just for decel popping, but worse for engine w/o a "real" tuner and dyno ).

Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 AM
dynacop25
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

A/C is stock. That's why I asked if that would help. Though, I don't want to do it if it'll make it potentially worse ( not just for decel popping, but worse for engine w/o a "real" tuner and dyno ).
I have the dealer download which I got done when I bought my bike, rinehart 4 inch slip ons, screamin eagle air cleaner with the stock cover and FL ViED's bike runs flawlessly. Unless you plan on doing any further engine mods this set up should do the trick

Old 05-15-2013, 09:00 AM
harwood1980
Cruiser

Yeah, after changing your exhaust that much, you're going to need to change the intake. Can't really open one without opening the other!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 AM
jgreth
Cruiser

Originally Posted by harwood1980
Yeah, after changing your exhaust that much, you're going to need to change the intake. Can't really open one without opening the other!
I see... so doing the A/C will actually help overall and not hinder engine performance or anything? I just wanted to be sure before taking that last step.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:24 AM
harwood1980
Cruiser

I see... so doing the A/C will actually help overall and not hinder engine performance or anything? I just wanted to be sure before taking that last step.
Correct, it will help because you've changed the way the bike exhausts.

The exhaust you installed lets more air/exhaust flow out of the engine than stock, but the engine is still only bringing in the stock amount of air. This screws up your fuel-to-air ratio.

You may see an increase or decrease in fuel efficiency once you change the air cleaner, but that will depend on the rest of your setup and how you modify your fuel map to account for the more "open" fuel/air system.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Rfc
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stage 1 A/C will flow more definitely, add power but will probably make the decel popping worse, you need a tuner, Dynojet Power vision is a good one.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:49 AM
jgreth
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Rfc
Stage 1 A/C will flow more definitely, add power but will probably make the decel popping worse, you need a tuner, Dynojet Power vision is a good one.
I'm not interested in more power. The original plan was just to add some volume / change the tone. I put the inserts in once I took the baffles out to restore the majority of the lost low-end torque. The power I have now is more than fine. So if the decel popping will only get worse, I'll skip the A/C.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 AM
seehogs
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Try taking off the A/C outer cover and run the bike like that for a little bit
to give the ECM time to adjust to the added flow.
That should come close to duplicating the flow from a aftermarket
A/C. Decel pop can be too rich or too lean or the exhaust

Quick Reply: help with decel popping?