Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pressure settings

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:37 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Pressure settings

I have a 2013 SG and the bike seems to not take bumps very well going down the open rode. It just seems to kinda jar my wife. What tire pressure do most of you guys run? As far as the rear shocks I weigh 210 and my wife weighs 100lbs, any suggestions on shock pressure?

Old 05-23-2013, 06:44 PM
Fatbobiron
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
I have a 2013 SG and the bike seems to not take bumps very well going down the open rode. It just seems to kinda jar my wife. What tire pressure do most of you guys run? As far as the rear shocks I weigh 210 and my wife weighs 100lbs, any suggestions on shock pressure?
I have a 2012 street glide.
I normally run the shocks around 25psi for myself. I weigh around 200
With the wife....she's nearly 6 ft....so the shocks go to about 40 psi.
It's all in the owners manual bud.

I did find if I set the air pressure on the tires the recommended pressures in the owners manual,it rides a little stiff but,handles like a dream. You need to find your happy medium.

I would start with the correct air pressure in the shocks for your weight, per the owners manual.

At that point, you need to try and determine whether its the tires or the shocks causing an unpleasant ride.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:00 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

If you have the stock Street Glide seat, that is doing you no favors in smoothing out the bumps.

It looks great, and is pretty comfy for the rider, but the passenger gets little padding.

Dealer should have a Sundowner for you to try out. That should bring a smile to her face.

With a new bike, you need to check the tire air pressure 36/40 and shock pressure (40 lbs) and you should be pretty happy with the ride.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:00 PM
omaho5
Road Master

I'm 240 and 6'2". I run 40 on both tires. Shock PSI set at 30.
It rides wonderful.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 PM
ridedaddy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the help! I will start playing with it alittle. Didn't know if most people found the manuals guidance to be fairly accurate or not.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:16 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

...and I find 7 to 10 pounds works ok for me- 235# w riding gear and some forgotten junk in the saddlebags.

when i tour, 13" shocks replace the 12", and a cushy seat goes on.

the air shocks are easy to adjust, get the correct type pump...DO NOT usea bicycle pump...it is way easy to blow the seals out $$$

Mike

Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 PM
JohnAT
Novice

I have an 09 Ultra, 36 front 40 rear. I'm 225 and run the shocks at 25 to 30 solo. The biggest difference in ride has been sending the stock seat to Mean City Cycle. Had the double memory foam done to front and passenger pillion. We went for a ride on same stretch of road that would jar my wife's back, not anymore what a difference. The best money I have spent on the bike, and a great company to deal with!

Old 05-24-2013, 08:32 PM
reg26
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Im on my second SG. Halfway thru the first one I bought a set of new take off shocks from an Ultra Classic (13inch shocks) on ebay for about $90. Make sure they are new or very low mileage. Best thing I could have done. Even wife noticed it right away. Bought second SG and put a new set of 13 inchers on from day one then tried the 13inch Harley premium shocks and am even happier. Best mod so far. Unless one knows , no one will ever guess your bike is 3/4 inch higher and its a MUCH better ride. Do it for your wife!
Stock seat also sucks for a passenger too

Old 05-25-2013, 07:18 AM
WIHD55
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found that what I was thinking was reverse of what worked for us. I tried to run lower pressure 15-20 thinking it woud be smoother. Wrong. Recently on a two up trip (combined weight of 350) that 35 was the smoothest for us. Even she noticed the difference. I am running @ 27 solo.

Anarchy rims with an 18" lower profile tire on the rear.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:30 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ridedaddy
Thanks for the help! I will start playing with it alittle. Didn't know if most people found the manuals guidance to be fairly accurate or not.
A few lbs in the suspension can make big a difference, so do be patient and you can get it dialed in. Lot's of peeps run out of patience, and start throwing money at the issue, via shocks, seats, etc......

You may find a need for this eventually, but do yourself a favor and don't "start" there.

The manual is a good "start point" but is far from biblical, for look at the extremes they have to accomodate. Riders comming in at a buck, up to 550 lbs of 2 up. Trying to do that in a couple of inches of travel has to be a challenge for the designers.

Quick Reply: Pressure settings