Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to Buy Road Glide Pickin Up Ultra Tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Rumbles
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Went to Buy Road Glide Pickin Up Ultra Tomorrow

After a couple weeks of research on the internet on HD touring models and knowing you can believe everything you read on the world wide web, yeah right, I had my mind pretty much made up to get a Road Glide Custom. My local dealer had one Vivid Black one left, he was good enough to have it pdi'd so I could ride it and I'm so glad he did. Out I went for a test ride on what I thought was going to be my new bike because everything I had read had me convinced it would be perfect. Long story short it wasn't, even after a couple of demo windshield changes the buffeting was horrific at hwy speeds, couldn't hear the radio and couldn't wait to get off it. The front end is light this I read and agreed with, it actually did a kind of hop on a bender with a bit of a sharp bump so at this point I'm pretty much figuring I won't be buying a bike today. I don't mean to bash the Road Glide or the people that ride them and this is just my 2 cents for what it's worth. Back at the dealership one of the salesman rides a Ultra and asked if I would like to take it out, since I had my gear and already had done the paperwork to take demo rides I thought why not. Off I go same route same speeds as I did a half hour before on the RG. Now I know the Ultra has lowers and bigger windshield and maybe I'm not comparing apples to apples but I have to say it was amazing as far as buffeting and being able to hear the stereo but that's only part of it. The handling felt much more planted on the road, I could have kept riding and had to convince myself to take it back to the dealership. I was sure it was the right bike for me. So anyway if you take anything from this post it is please ride it before you buy it. Maybe I could have got the Road Glide to be a great hwy bike but I wasn't sure and not willing to take the chance although it must be possible because the RG has many loyal riders. I love the looks of the Road Glide Classic and even considered maybe switching to a full face helmet to compensate for all the turbulence I was experiencing. I may have ended up doing that if it wasn't that I loved the Ultra so much. The safe bet was the Ultra so that is what I went with, should be here tomorrow! Again RG riders don't take offence to this post. I'm far from an expert and know a rider's height and riding style has a great effect on which bike works best for them. It be great to hear from RG riders or guys that have ridden both RG's and EG's to get more opinions on them both! I included a pic of my new bike at the dealership.

Attached Thumbnails Went to Buy Road Glide Pickin Up Ultra Tomorrow-vp3124975_1_large.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 10:01 PM
_Daswine_
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumbles
After a couple weeks of research on the internet on HD touring models and knowing you can believe everything you read on the world wide web, yeah right, I had my mind pretty much made up to get a Road Glide Custom. My local dealer had one Vivid Black one left, he was good enough to have it pdi'd so I could ride it and I'm so glad he did. Out I went for a test ride on what I thought was going to be my new bike because everything I had read had me convinced it would be perfect. Long story short it wasn't, even after a couple of demo windshield changes the buffeting was horrific at hwy speeds, couldn't hear the radio and couldn't wait to get off it. The front end is light this I read and agreed with, it actually did a kind of hop on a bender with a bit of a sharp bump so at this point I'm pretty much figuring I won't be buying a bike today. I don't mean to bash the Road Glide or the people that ride them and this is just my 2 cents for what it's worth. Back at the dealership one of the salesman rides a Ultra and asked if I would like to take it out, since I had my gear and already had done the paperwork to take demo rides I thought why not. Off I go same route same speeds as I did a half hour before on the RG. Now I know the Ultra has lowers and bigger windshield and maybe I'm not comparing apples to apples but I have to say it was amazing as far as buffeting and being able to hear the stereo but that's only part of it. The handling felt much more planted on the road, I could have kept riding and had to convince myself to take it back to the dealership. I was sure it was the right bike for me. So anyway if you take anything from this post it is please ride it before you buy it. Maybe I could have got the Road Glide to be a great hwy bike but I wasn't sure and not willing to take the chance although it must be possible because the RG has many loyal riders. I love the looks of the Road Glide Classic and even considered maybe switching to a full face helmet to compensate for all the turbulence I was experiencing. I may have ended up doing that if it wasn't that I loved the Ultra so much. The safe bet was the Ultra so that is what I went with, should be here tomorrow! Again RG riders don't take offence to this post. I'm far from an expert and know a rider's height and riding style has a great effect on which bike works best for them. It be great to hear from RG riders or guys that have ridden both RG's and EG's to get more opinions on them both! I included a pic of my new bike at the dealership.
Welcome to the family... I test road about 7 styles before I chose my FLHTK......

Old 05-30-2013, 10:37 PM
buckwheat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the looks of the Road Glide and (as many have recommended) I took a half day rental of a Road Glide, then a 1/2 day rental on the Street Glide. Took the Road Glide out but just didn't fall in love with the ride and the layout of the bike. Returned it to the dealership. Hopped on the Street Glide and within the first 1/4 mile, I knew I was riding "my" Harley. Still have that same bike 5 years later and it just fits like a glove.

Long story short, well done. You listened to your senses.

By the way, that is a sweet looking Ultra!

Old 05-30-2013, 10:40 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

........... iz too late now, but a test ride on an RGU would've been an entirely different experience.
..... those Ultra Classics are a nice ride too, so enjoy your new one
......... it'll be just about time to trade it when the '15 Tour Glides come out

Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 PM
cb7263
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=groupw;11355064]........... iz too late now, but a test ride on an RGU would've been an entirely different experience.
..... those Ultra Classics are a nice ride too, so enjoy your new one
......... it'll be just about time to trade it when the '15 Tour Glides come out [/quot
I bought a 13 FLHTK as well as the OP, then I saw the RGU, wish I'd of seen it first cuz I love the layout of the fairing. BUT,,,, I can't wait to hop on the limited everytime I go for a ride, so no complaints from me.
Enjoy your new ride OP.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:09 PM
scottbess
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the Ultra family! Rented one in FL last December and knew I had to have one. Picked it up about 4 weeks ago and just rolled over 1,100 miles today. Love it!

Old 05-30-2013, 11:25 PM
C908
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I had a similar experience and also went with an Ultra.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:54 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To compare the Road Glide Custom to the Ultra Glide is like comparing the Softail to a Sportster.
If you compared the Road Glide Ultra to the Ultra Glide, it would have been better.
I came from two Ultra Glides to my Road Glide and never looked back.
With the Custom's Short Windshield is like not even having one.
I keep the lowers installed. The lowers have vents so heat is not a problem.
I made the Tour Pak Detachable so I have the best of both worlds.

But if you like your Ultra Glide, great for you.
Enjoy and Ride Safe!!

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 05-31-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:50 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

After I first purchased my limited, it had to go in for limp mode problems (turned out to be TCA problems with fretting and a new twist grip sensor) anyway, while it was in the dealer gave me a rental road glide for a week while it was in the shop so I would have a ride. It felt peppier to me and I liked it, until I got out of the city and on the open road, the turbulence was bad and I couldnt hear the radio at 65. I am sure a taller windshield would of cured this, other than that, it feels lighter on its feet than an ultra and handles better to me at low speeds (prolly because it didn't have the tourpak.) That being said I wouldnt trade my limited for the world, me and Big Red have a bond, not to mention the amount of coin I have in added chit that is not listed in my sig. Let the flamming begin RG owners, lmao..

Last edited by my67pnycar; 05-31-2013 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:54 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default That's so cool

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
To compare the Road Glide Custom to the Ultra Glide is like comparing the Softail to a Sportster.
If you compared the Road Glide Ultra to the Ultra Glide, it would have been better.
I came from two Ultra Glides to my Road Glide and never looked back.
With the Custom's Short Windshield is like not even having one.
I keep the lowers installed. The lowers have vents so heat is not a problem.
I made the Tour Pak Detachable so I have the best of both worlds.

But if you like your Ultra Glide, great for you.
Enjoy and Ride Safe!!
If a Klingon were to ride a motorcycle, nothing could be a better choice. I'll bet the neighbours get a kick out of you too.

Quick Reply: Went to Buy Road Glide Pickin Up Ultra Tomorrow