Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody running a Mustang backrest?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 07:26 PM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 1,412 Likes on 453 Posts
Default Anybody running a Mustang backrest?

Evening my friends. Just got back from a 1K shakedown trip on my new to me 08 Ultra, and I learned one thing. I need a backrest!! Anybody running the Mustang brand as opposed to the HD model? I read some good reviews that even stated it was more adjustible, and easier to adjust. Does your passenger complain about it? Do they still have enough leg room? Here's the one I'm looking at....

http://www.mustangseats.com/Product/...n-FLHTFLTRFLHR

I found one on E Bay for less than $200. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:45 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I have the Mustang touring seat with the integrated backrest. Adjusts with a big thumb screw. Comfy. Passenger has room. But, it depends on how fat the passenger is. Too fat and it will get tight. Leg room is not an issues unless you are dealing with very large legs.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:52 PM
BADBREW
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started with a Harley Seat and Fixed HD backrest. Can"t adjust on the fly up down, fwd or back. Had to step over the bike to get on because the backrest was in the way of throwing my leg over. Now have a Mustang day tripped solo w/built in mustang backrest. So much better. Adjust up and down easily with the detent system Mustang uses. Adjust fwd and back with the thumb screw all on the fly, and best of all it folds flat so I can throw my leg over to mount normally like I did before a backrest. Best choice for me all around.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:56 PM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

had the integrated back rest on al my bikes and love them, if you own a touring bike your crazy not to have a back rest. I learned early on long trips that my back was screaming for one, got one and got all day comfort.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:57 PM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
I have the Mustang touring seat with the integrated backrest. Adjusts with a big thumb screw. Comfy. Passenger has room. But, it depends on how fat the passenger is. Too fat and it will get tight. Leg room is not an issues unless you are dealing with very large legs.

She's not a big gal, thank goodness.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:03 PM
xwhyz1959
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Timmy B
had the integrated back rest on al my bikes and love them, if you own a touring bike your crazy not to have a back rest. I learned early on long trips that my back was screaming for one, got one and got all day comfort.
At first I was thinking I needed different bars. But the more I rode, I experimented with different postures that a backrest would provide, and decided that perhaps that was all I really needed. At least for now.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:44 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

I have a Mustang back rest. I really like it. Its easier to adjust, is not as thick and easier to remove to take off the seat than a Harley back rest. I'd say go with the Mustang.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:01 PM
Pagan48
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use the mustang backrest with my stock RKC seat. Works great. Like it a lot. Got mine from Dennis Kirk.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:12 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

I use one with my stock seat. I have had a few issues wuth it. First, the nut welded on the mount that the stay (adjusts the height) screws into broke off, and no matter how far you screw in the stay, it wants to drop to the lowest position.

I emailed Mustang and complained shortly after I bought it, and never got a reply so,I have a mig welder and tacked the nut back on, and I wrap the stem with electrical tap to keep it from dropping.

Other then that, it works well, I can adjust it on the fly, it is very comfortable, and Cheaper then the HD version.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:16 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 71 Posts

Got one for my eglide nd wouldn't be without it. I like that it folds down and adjustment is a snap.

Quick Reply: Anybody running a Mustang backrest?