Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Limited Ultra Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 05:30 AM
JeffNorthrup
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Limited Ultra Coolant Leak

I read through the almost 60 pages of the last thread regarding the coolant leak and want to convey that my 2014 Harley Limited Ultra which was purchased the last week of August 2013 has the very same coolant leak people are reporting. So, Harley has a real problem!

In my case, the first leak showed up at 440 miles. Like all the other posts, the Harley dealer added some fluid and sent me on my way after checking out basic things and doing a test ride. 200 miles later the same issue was occurring with leaks on the floor of my garage after a ride. I took it in again and just got the bike back on Tuesday after waiting about a week and 1/2 in the shop. They said they fixed the "radiator cap" and sent me on my way. I rode it for two days and yesterday (9-19-2013) coolant leaked all over my garage floor after shutting the bike off (bike has 700 miles on it).

It is evident that this will be a continuing problem that Harley has no fix for. I attached a picture of the "coolant bottle" with fluid pumping through it causing the coolant to leak all over the floor. After the spectacular volcanic event was over, the coolant bottle returned to a low level in the bottle. My plan today is to go to the Harley dealer to see if my money can be returned as I did not expect a $30k bike to be in the shop more than in my garage, and the leaking coolant is a big safety issue once it hits the tires.

Attached Thumbnails 2014 Limited Ultra Coolant Leak-dscn0403.jpg  
Old 09-20-2013, 05:33 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Sux, but I'd be more pi$$ed on the lost glovebox space...

Unfortunately this is what you get when purchasing a new "Highlander" model vehicle...gonna be some kinks to fix.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:53 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

So this is how Harley chose to test. Using customers. Maybe they just wanted to give Indian a boost.

I really think they probably did test but did it in a continuing basis. That is they fired up and never turned it off. If they had brought the engine to temperature or above then shut it down like a large percentage of riders do, this little eruption would have come to light.

This is why I buy used. Now I know not to ever buy a 2014 model. Even if they get it fixed. What else is wrong that hasn't surfaced?

Old 09-20-2013, 06:01 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Probably more than a few things wrong with the overall design of that system but does anyone else think that overflow bottle is tiny?

If it had a bottle twice as large it would probably do it's thing and no one would even notice - cause fluid wouldn't be on the floor...

That and program the system to run the pump and fans for 30 seconds after shutdown.

lp

Last edited by lp; 09-20-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:05 AM
WolfDog
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sucks to keep reading this.

I would simply be the most rude, pain in the *** to them over this.
You guys with this problem not only need to be a pain in the *** of Harley Davidson you also need to be wearing the *** out of the NTSB as well.

Can't wait to hear about someone going down due to this issue.

Nice Rollout Harley.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:13 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I was thinking new bike but with all the negative's, I'll hold off for awhile. Good luck!

Old 09-20-2013, 06:31 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Wow, Sorry to hear your issues, this is becoming a common issue. Hopefully they find a fix quickly.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:40 AM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeffNorthrup
I read through the almost 60 pages of the last thread regarding the coolant leak and want to convey that my 2014 Harley Limited Ultra which was purchased the last week of August 2013 has the very same coolant leak people are reporting. So, Harley has a real problem!

In my case, the first leak showed up at 440 miles. Like all the other posts, the Harley dealer added some fluid and sent me on my way after checking out basic things and doing a test ride. 200 miles later the same issue was occurring with leaks on the floor of my garage after a ride. I took it in again and just got the bike back on Tuesday after waiting about a week and 1/2 in the shop. They said they fixed the "radiator cap" and sent me on my way. I rode it for two days and yesterday (9-19-2013) coolant leaked all over my garage floor after shutting the bike off (bike has 700 miles on it).

It is evident that this will be a continuing problem that Harley has no fix for. I attached a picture of the "coolant bottle" with fluid pumping through it causing the coolant to leak all over the floor. After the spectacular volcanic event was over, the coolant bottle returned to a low level in the bottle. My plan today is to go to the Harley dealer to see if my money can be returned as I did not expect a $30k bike to be in the shop more than in my garage, and the leaking coolant is a big safety issue once it hits the tires.
The thing that is going overlooked here is that when this occurs it is over overheating. Damage is most likely occurring, like warpage or cracking. How many of you have had a car overheat without damage? I'm so disappointed with mine that I don't want to keep it. And I love the bike other then this and the radio issues. I'm even more disappointed that Harley had the nerve to try and cover this up. I would have a lot more respect if they acknowledged that it was a serious concern and they were doing everything they could to fix it. "There not really designed for city use". BS. THEY BRAG THST THEY SECRETLY TESTED THEM ON COP BIKES BEFORE GOING IN TO PRODUCTION. I used to bleed orange and black, but find myself very disillusioned! Everyone should stay in touch for possible CLASS ACTION LITIGATION, If Harley keeps there backs turned to us! Sorry for this rant but I want you all to be aware that when this happened to be coolant soaked my rear tire and I almost crashed in my garage. When coolant dumps and you roll forward your back tire gets soaked.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:46 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

Just something to think about.

On another site, some folks with the new "twin cooled" motors have had some good luck so far by doing the following.

When turning the motor off, they use the kill switch first and keeping the key switch on for a minute or two.

They say doing this, it allows the fan motor to come on and allowing the anti freeze to cycle more and not letting it puke out.

As for beta testers, the MoCo has been doing this for years with the CVO owners.
Unfortunately the "wet head" is a totally different beast!

Sadly, sometimes being the first in line is not always the best, especially when it comes to Harley Davidson motor cycles.

Ride on,

YB

Old 09-20-2013, 06:47 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JeffNorthrup

Jeff, my 14 Limited leaked twice, both times upon returning home. My dealer came and picked the bike up; they took a new Limited that had just come in and started pulling parts off that new bike, when they finally were able to stop the leak it appeared that the problem was the water pump. No issues since. I really don't think this is a engineering issue, I think it's a supplier issue. That would explain why the test bikes were OK and we had the issue.

For me; I simply wanted my bike fixed and fixed right. Don't want my money back, This is the most comfortable, best handling and overall great Harley; that I have ever owned. The coolant leak is a issue but if the problem becomes a pretty easy fix and it stays fixed I will continue to love the bike. My dealer filled my bike up with gas, changed the oil and cleaned it up for me. I am a old, old time customer and they really try their best to take care of me.

Good luck, I just wanted you to know that it can be fixed and that once identified a pretty simple issue. Take care

Scott

Quick Reply: 2014 Limited Ultra Coolant Leak