Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Antenna Mod--super shortie

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 12:31 PM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Another Antenna Mod--super shortie

My Indie runs across these old two piece HD metal antennas from time to time and gives them to us. Some of you guys have been around HD longer than me, so you'll know what this antenna came from. Anyway, I like it. Take antenna out of base, snip it, put it back in and there is my super shortie antenna. I do have the HD short antenna but it wasn't short enough for me. I zip tied it underneath to where I had no antenna showing and didn't care for the reception....someone told me to zip tie the original/long one. Anyway, I really like what I have now. I went to HD and got a rubber plug, put a small hole in the center of it and put my shortie through it. I just tested it out and the reception is outstanding. A riding partner of mine has one and everyone is always asking where he got it...now, they'll ask both of us. Hope you guys like the idea......didn't really care for going with hidden antenna right now.

Oh...the scratches on the base...I did that...oh well, a can of spray paint or permanent marker will fix that.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:04 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

cool Idea, can you cut it short enough to use with a tour pack and still get decent reception? Where can I find one?
I have tried the eBay , boom audio hidden ant. and zip tying the whip along side of the frame no luck with reception at all. I have put the stock whip inside the fairing works ok better than the others.

Old 10-02-2013, 01:14 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

...the length of an antenna determines which frequencies it will and will not pick up.

random cuts are unlikely to get good results.

here is an online calculator:

http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennagen...eqlencalc.html

you can get a rubber stubby at pep boys for $8 which is tuned to am/fm frequencies.

pt 2. antennas work best perpendicular to the ground, laying an antenna on it's side will greatly reduce it's effectiveness.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 10-02-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:31 PM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by crimson13
cool Idea, can you cut it short enough to use with a tour pack and still get decent reception? Where can I find one?
I have tried the eBay , boom audio hidden ant. and zip tying the whip along side of the frame no luck with reception at all. I have put the stock whip inside the fairing works ok better than the others.
I'm sure that calculator posted works great. I'm just a retired Army guy....I cut it and went riding and it works great for me. I'm not sure where to get one. My indie had this one lieing around and handed it to me. I've seen the stubby antennas mkguitar is talking about. I like them.....but I really like mine. I like the short one I had from HD.....but this super thin one I have now....its just so barely seen.

We had all these fancy calculations in the Army in regard to antennas I used to erect...things stood over 60 feet tall. I can't remember any of the formulas except, erect it on the highest point and lets communicate across miles.

Last edited by sfcmo357; 10-02-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:52 PM
tcfamy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That piece looks like the tuning coil from my original '02 Ultra CB antenna.

- Tom

Old 10-02-2013, 01:55 PM
jory434
Road Warrior
Received 474 Likes on 253 Posts

All I did to mine was cut it with a pair of pliers and super glued a black bolt end cover to it....stock antenna just shorter

Old 10-02-2013, 02:35 PM
HotVrod
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by crimson13
I bought the short rubber one from Biketronics, made a mount and got the HD connector from the dealer for $3...works good comes up just above the bags and clears the tourpak..

Old 10-02-2013, 06:59 PM
sfcmo357
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jory434
All I did to mine was cut it with a pair of pliers and super glued a black bolt end cover to it....stock antenna just shorter
What type of black bolt end cover??? I would love to share this idea with my riding partners

Old 10-02-2013, 10:06 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

if you're talking about the long thin whip antennas I have two that I would sell cheap enough

Old 10-03-2013, 04:10 AM
dad4
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran my whip antenna under the frame up to the seat post.. Now it's all hidden and have a clean rear end LOL.

Quick Reply: Another Antenna Mod--super shortie