Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baker Attitude Adjuster with pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Baker Attitude Adjuster with pics - Updated with install pics

I removed the stock primary automatic chain tensioner in my 2010 Limited and replaced it with a Hayden tensioner a few thousand miles ago. The reason for removing the stock tensioner was more precautionary than immediate. The concern for the stock auto tensioner's over-tightening potential and contributing to eventual drivetrain bearing damage was the driving factor.

After installing the Hayden unit, the chain was very tight. The nested springs in the latest Hayden model were very stiff. There were a couple of pretty long threads on here discussing in detail some of the features of the Hayden unit. I will say that, in my personal opinion, the Hayden is built well and in many installations should serve as a reasonable replacement for the stock tensioner. However, the tension on my primary chain was not loosening at all over about 6000 miles of use, so I fell back to my original concern of an over-tight primary chain and contributory bearing damage. Although tempted, I was resistant to modifying the tensioner from Hayden. Some have experimented with the springs to modify the pressure the shoe exerts on the chain. Of course once you move away from stock on anything, we are pretty much on our own, so no disrespect to those that made modifications. It was simply a rabbit that I did not choose to chase.

In previous model years, HD used a manual adjuster for the primary chain tension. Baker offers a quality product that in principle is similar to the earlier HD manual tensioners. These tensioners are set to allow a certain amount of deflection in the primary chain, and it is recommended to check the tension adjustment on a 5000 mile interval.

I purchased the Baker and took a few photos of the packaging and the product. So here are a few of those pics.......

Here are the package contents:

A few shots at the shoe and mounting arm:

Installation was very straight forward and adjustment was easy. I probably have about 500 miles on it now and I feel confident about proper primary chain tension. I was impressed with the quality of the Baker unit. The cost of this unit is in the $200 range.

Here's a few photos of the baker after install:

Now having spent a few hundred bucks on this issue, I believe a proactive solution for those running the stock auto tensioner would be to visually check your primary chain tension on a standard interval and if it is too tight, manually adjust the stock tensioner back down the ramp. If repeated checks, say every 5000 miles, exhibits a very tight chain, then maybe a Hayden or a Baker would be a reasonable solution for your bike.

Last edited by Lowcountry Joe; 01-01-2014 at 04:26 PM. Reason: added some photos of the installation
Old 11-23-2013, 04:33 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

All good, but... are you going to get Baker's outer primary so you dont have to take your outer off just to check the tension?

Old 11-23-2013, 04:36 PM
Brykwil
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice upgrade,Better safe than sorry.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
All good, but... are you going to get Baker's outer primary so you dont have to take your outer off just to check the tension?
No plans to replace the outer. Would be nice to have one with the old style window. That would be great to have. But I suppose I will just remove the primary outer. I doubt too that I will do it every 5000 miles.....unless I notice a sound change, etc.

To be fair, not everyone with the stock auto adjuster has issues with over tightening. But, enough do to make it something to at least keep an eye on and that will of course involve removing the primary cover since HD scrapped the cover with the check window.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:40 PM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice write up Lowcountry...I have a new Baker unit sitting on the bench to install with my Barnett Scorpion for my winter project. Looks like a really nice alternative to the OEM unit.

Thanks again for the write up and pictures!

Steve

Old 11-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,541 Likes on 3,793 Posts

I agree the old manual adjuster is the way to go and once it has a few 1000 miles on it actually requires little adjustment, if any. It is a little noisy however. However before you condemn the auto one, you need to realize that the last 3/8" of movement in the chain play is taken up by that short heavy springs (there is two of them in the top left of my attachment one behind the one you see) in the wedge. You have to push the chain rather firmly to see all the chain free play. They do seem to limit the total free play to the very minimum of what Harley calls for on the manual adjuster. If you have an uneven worn chain that has a little difference in the pitch lengths or a little run out, it can self adjust itself in the loose area and get very close to being tight in other areas and causing wear. The last sentence is why I condemn it.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:06 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:15 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I agree the old manual adjuster is the way to go and once it has a few 1000 miles on it actually requires little adjustment, if any. It is a little noisy however. However before you condemn the auto one, you need to realize that the last 3/8" of movement in the chain play is taken up by that short heavy springs (there is two of them in the top left of my attachment one behind the one you see) in the wedge. You have to push the chain rather firmly to see all the chain free play. They do seem to limit the total free play to the very minimum of what Harley calls for on the manual adjuster. If you have an uneven worn chain that has a little difference in the pitch lengths or a little run out, it can self adjust itself in the loose area and get very close to being tight in other areas and causing wear. The last sentence is why I condemn it.
Yes, all good points Rip. The HD concept was a good concept for MOCO, designed to save them money and time in the production/fabrication process. But as you indicate in that next to last sentence above, the device has no control limits and may ratchet a worn chain tighter than a new chain.

Last edited by Lowcountry Joe; 11-24-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:05 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,431 Likes on 21,387 Posts

Good write-up Joe.
My stocker is still ok so I am sticking with it for the time being.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:38 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Good write-up Joe.
My stocker is still ok so I am sticking with it for the time being.
Thanks.

After going through my process of trying all three, I would say that as long as you pop off the primary from time to time (at least every 10K) and check the tightness of the chain, you may be just fine with the stock tensioner.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:06 PM
HD Pilot
Elite HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

I can see it is nice being able to adjust the chain tension perfectly but losing the shock absorbing springs seems a step back. In the Hayden video(I am sure you have seen it) there does seem to be a lot of whip on the chain and and the springs look to handle it pretty well and the cam chains have shock absorbers too... just thinking "outloud".

Quick Reply: Baker Attitude Adjuster with pics