Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TC 88 cam conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 09:46 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
Default TC 88 cam conversion

So I'm contemplating a cam change and hydraulic tensioner upgrade on my Stage 1 TC 88. I've been reviewing archived threads on the swap, but most of the posts date back to when 88's were the norm, no such thing as a 103 or 110 yet. Most threads sourced the parts from Zanotti's, and recommend a Herko (Hercko?) kit. Both of those sources appear defunct now. Andrews lists part number 288902 as the conversion kit using it's N series cams, but it's not found on fleabay or on Amazon. I know I can source the individual parts via the MoCo, but I like the idea of an all inclusive kit. If you've done your TC 88, please share your experiences with me. Trying to learn all I can, what would you do differently if you did it again. And please, I'm not talking a particular cam choice but rather the swap in general terms. Thanks.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:53 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

Call Fuelmoto and have a kit put together.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:55 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

Andrews got bitch slapped by H-D for selling a complete kit using the H-D retro fit kit with Andrews cams. That is why you won't find it on their site. I believe a call or e-mail to them will get you what you need. I got mine from American Classic Motors on-line, but it did not come with the roller chain on the inside. I didn't do enough research before. I believe if you were to get the H-D kit #25384-11 and Andrews N cams of your choice with the inner roller chain, you'll be set.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:10 AM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a 2000 Wideglide with 42,000 miles and I switched out the cams and tensioners in January last year.

Since the bike lived 13 years and 42K miles I didn't think it was really necessary to go all hydraulic. I just replaced the cams with Andrews 21's and replaced the tensioner shoes with the ones from Cyco. (inner bearings replaced as well.) These tensioner pads are cheap, maybe $20 for a set or $60 if you buy the little tool they sell for install/removal.

Removed and installed the cams with heat instead of the press. Check out this link for details. Only special tool I bought was the Gary Beatty inner bearing installer/remover.

http://harleyhog.host.sk/tensionerinstall.htm

Old 01-01-2014, 10:15 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

Gotta love this forum. Thanks guys.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:39 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not go with gear drive and get rid of the shoes altogether???? No more worries.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by glide2005
Why not go with gear drive and get rid of the shoes altogether???? No more worries.
Gotta agree with this...the OP had a pretty valid point, in that his engine had lasted a long time with the original setup...but if it were me, and I was going in there, and could afford it, this is what I'd do, as long as the crank runout allowed me to do so...otherwise, I'd update to the hydraulic setup.

But, ya know, if it ain't broke, why fix it, I reckon...for me, I'd just rather take that possibility off the road forever...

Old 01-01-2014, 11:39 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

I'm not worried about the original shoes at this point. While I do have an older bike, it's only got 10.5k miles on it. I'm thinking more about the torque gained by a cam change than the tensioner issue, but might as well address it while I'm in there. The gear drive is dependant on run out specs, so I'll just assume mine is out of spec and do chains. After looking up some costs it would seem that I'm looking at around $660 for the HD parts through Surdyke (Upgrade kit, cam spacers, gaskets and SE pushrods), $230 for an Andrews N series cam on ebay, and whatever an oil change costs. Am I missing something?

Old 01-01-2014, 11:49 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

Won't you at least need a tuner with a canned map?

Old 01-01-2014, 12:04 PM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
I'm not worried about the original shoes at this point. While I do have an older bike, it's only got 10.5k miles on it. I'm thinking more about the torque gained by a cam change than the tensioner issue, but might as well address it while I'm in there. The gear drive is dependant on run out specs, so I'll just assume mine is out of spec and do chains. After looking up some costs it would seem that I'm looking at around $660 for the HD parts through Surdyke (Upgrade kit, cam spacers, gaskets and SE pushrods), $230 for an Andrews N series cam on ebay, and whatever an oil change costs. Am I missing something?
Don't just assume your crank has too muck run-out. I had an 05 88" and the run-out was very close(around .001). I had 45,000 miles on my 05 when I went to gear drive . Not anywhere near these POS they have in the 96".

Quick Reply: TC 88 cam conversion