Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Correct oil level (Street Glide)?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 10:57 AM
ckamin
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Correct oil level (Street Glide)?

Howdy! When I change the oil, I typically use four quarts (and I am running a H-D oil cooler). When I check the level on the dipstick with the bike level, it reads just a tad over the "full" mark.

Are there any issues with this? I believe it is just the oil tank and not the crankcase, right?

Thanks!

-Carl

Old 01-06-2014, 11:00 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

If checked as per your om procedure(on side stand, temp etc), you are overfilling. Don't know your bikes year so I can't comment on whether or not checking level is correct. On my Street Glide it is supposed to be checked on the side stand. The stated capacity means nothing. The oil level is everything.

Last edited by qtrracer; 01-06-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:02 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

many of us run about a pint low.

"over high" oil levels can cause the dipstick to pop out and oil to paint the right side of the bike on sudden acceleration.
even "normal levels" may cause increased blow by from the heads into the air cleaner causing drips.

Harley motors are "dry-sump", oil is not stored in the motor like most cars, the oil is stored in a tank under the tranny.

Mike

Old 01-06-2014, 11:03 AM
ckamin
Tourer

Yea, the dip stick has two scales- one for checking the oil on the side stand and a second scale for checking while upright, which is what I did because I have a centerstand on the bike.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:04 AM
ckamin
Tourer

Cool, thanks for the input, guys.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:09 AM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ckamin
Howdy! When I change the oil, I typically use four quarts (and I am running a H-D oil cooler). When I check the level on the dipstick with the bike level, it reads just a tad over the "full" mark.

Are there any issues with this? I believe it is just the oil tank and not the crankcase, right?

Thanks!

-Carl
Carl according to my 2013 SG Owners Manual page 164 in bold letters at the bottom of the page "Do not allow hot oil level to fall below Add/Fill mark on dipstick"
That pretty much says it all.........the manual does say to check at normal operating temperature. By hot they say let engine run for 1-2 minute and then turn off and check.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:13 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

If your not draining the sump even with an oil cooler it will only take a little over 3 1/2 quarts. Put a bit more than 3 in it and run it around the block then add till your where you want to be on the dipstick...varies by individual. When I flush my sump it takes close to 4 1/2 qts.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:22 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Don't know if being on a centerstand is different than a side car which is what the other side is for. It may lift up the rear end high enough to skew the level from being on the ground and level. You may want to try it either on the side stand or just level, not on the center stand, and compare to the level obtained on the center stand.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:36 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you run it over full, it will launch the dipstick out of the crankcase. Don't ask how I know...

The following users liked this post:
Real Poser (09-16-2023)
Old 01-06-2014, 04:55 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by ckamin

Thanks!

-Carl
Directly from the Harley Manual.

"If oil is at or below the lower mark, add only enough oil to bring the level to a point between the two arrows on the dipstick."

CAUTION
"Do not overfill the oil tank. Doing so can result in oil carryover to the air cleaner leading to equipment damage and/or equipment malfunction.
"

"Refer to table 25 . Always use the proper grade of oil for the lowest expected air temperature before the next scheduled oil change."

There is a good write up on this subject at this link-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-r...f-my-bike.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: Correct oil level (Street Glide)?