Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio Issues, Upgrade available?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Chizl
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Issues, Upgrade available?

I have the 2013 Road Glide CVO, which I purchased used, but it was basically new with 2000 miles on it. I had audio issues from the start where a speaker would cut out, then another would cut out as the first one came back on. I took it back to Harley and they played with the wires, told me it was good, but it wasn't. The second time, they replaced the radio and the front amp, as the rear amp had been replaced before I purchased it. As I was picking it up, I tested it in the parking lot and still had the same issue. The 3rd time I took it back to them, they replaced all 6 speakers. It sounded good in the parking lot, but by the time I got home, it was doing it again. I've taken it back to Harley and told them to keep it until it's fixed, which was last Saturday. They called me yesterday saying, they can't fix it. They can reproduce the issue at max sound, but the testing system says everything is working fine.

I have AVC turned on, it sits at the half way mark when I'm riding, I have the bass on 3, and the treble maxed out. It is the standard setup of a 200 watt amp in the fairing, a 200 watt amp in the bag, with 6 speakers, that are supposed to be 200 watt each.

My previous harley had the boom audio with only 2 speakers up front and a 100watt amp, which was louder and never had this issue, so I'm tired of this and trying to think of my own fix. I'm thinking the amp is pushing more power than the speakers can really handle. I've searched, but I'm not finding a road glide speakers that I can upgrade to.

Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:20 AM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member

Can you lemon law a used vehicle? Maybe this is the reason it had such low mileage.

I see 4 solutions.

The dealer/MOCO buys the bike back.

They keep working on it until it's fixed.

They pay some/all the cost to replace with aftermarket.

You pay in full to replace with aftermarket.

Until you can pick your poison, I wouldn't touch a thing without taking to a lemon law attorney.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:53 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I've been running my boom speakers with out issue running a J&M amp that I'm sure is more powerful that the stock Harley amp. I play it loud and travel a lot so they have seen some good use.

I wonder if your getting some interference somewhere that's causing distortion and blowing your speakers. Sucks having a newish bike that you love and issues already! If you wanted to drop some coin you could go all after market and have a great sounding system. Any other dealers around that might be more competent? You might try stopping by an audio shop and get there opinion? I'd bet most dealers can turn a wrench but have no clue about audio and just replace with new instead of finding the real issue!

Old 02-13-2014, 10:01 AM
lazye
Cruiser

If it is all HD audio equipment then I would call the HD rep in your area.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:40 PM
Chizl
6th Gear

Originally Posted by lazye
If it is all HD audio equipment then I would call the HD rep in your area.
Its the Adamec Harley Davidson that can't figure out the problem.

Originally Posted by hd_rolling
You might try stopping by an audio shop and get there opinion? I'd bet most dealers can turn a wrench but have no clue about audio and just replace with new instead of finding the real issue!
I called a real audio shop today, they said it sounds like what occurs when you place a ground on a painted surface. And your right, they are just replacing parts in hopes the problem with go away rather than use the correct tools to find the problem. I was told by them, they didn't have the kind of tools that an audio shop might have.

UPDATE: I got my bike back today and Harley told me, that there are max settings that have to be set to make it work. Those max settings are turning the AVC off, have the treble, bass, and volume on half way. WHAT??!!! they have lost their damn mind.

I got on my bike back today, started riding, bumped all of that past the max settings and I don't have the problem anymore. They fixed it and didn't even know it. WTH? I'm guessing it's exactly what the audio place told me about the ground for the amp(s) not being fully grounded correctly. They said once the amps get up, it will start causing the amp to cut out, while the voltage will show it steady and working properly.

Will see how long it lasts, crossing fingers... Thanks for everyone's feed back.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:39 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 157 Posts

my 12 cvo skunk is going under the audio knife at Daytona this year. I had enough of HD and the junk 1 ohm speakers and amps that put out way less wattage than advertised

Called Peter at Soundz Customs. http://soundzcustomz.com/baggeraudio/

Looks like a level 4 for me.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:44 PM
njhonker
Tourer

we spent a lot of time at SOUNDZ booth at Daytona last year...their systems ROCK.....I dont have the cash to lay down right now for any of their systems but they sure can make a bike BLAST

Old 02-18-2014, 10:55 PM
Chizl
6th Gear

Yea, the sound just isn't there for me and I think I figured out why the sound is not as loud as my previous 2011 Road Glide Ultra with the Boom system. The Boom System is 100 watt amp, but there are only 2 speakers running up front. This 2013 has 4 speakers pushing a max of 40 watch each, with the 160 watt amp in the fairing. I'm not sure of the wattage in the back as there is zero specs on it anywhere and only have the word of a salesman saying it's a 200 watt amp in the bag. Not very loud for a 200 watt, pushing only the two speakers in the back. In fact, the front is louder, so I'm pretty sure that is BS. I will be getting a new audio system, because my bike's pipes are way to loud for this OEM door stop. I was talking to Tint, Tunes and Accessories, which helped me over the phone without any trying to sell me on something. I'll most likely reach out to them for some Fosgates. I grew up on them, hope they haven't gone down hill.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Chizl
6th Gear
Angry

I'm really frustrated today. Harley told me there are no upgrades they could sell me for what I have. So I did some searching to see what I could find outside of Harley and I ran up on Hawg Wired. Founds some good speakers and Amp replacement, then went to their authorized vendor and there sits the Harley location that told me there wasn't any upgrades to what I have.. WTH! They can't fix it, but they don't want me to replace it either! I think it's time to start going somewhere else.

Old 02-20-2014, 12:46 PM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there are ton of audio upgrade options. i just ordered my set up. biketronics 7.1'' for the fairing and rockford fosgate PBR 300x2, also adding 4- 6''x9'''s with another PBR 300x2. pretty much any 6.5 speaker will mount in your fairing w/ an adapter

Quick Reply: Audio Issues, Upgrade available?