Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going Shark!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 08:17 AM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Going Shark!!!

I started this thread in the RoadGlide.org forum, but figured I'd share it here too for those contemplating the conversion.

02/26/2014: I decided to take a swim in the shark tank!!! Thanks to this forum and it's members I'm now starting the conversion of my '08 Street Glide to a Road Glide. All the parts have arrived or will arrive by Monday 03/03/14. Since I now have the majority of my parts, the disassembly has begun

I figured since I'll have the whole front end exposed, now was the time to upgrade the front end. I'm installing the CCE TrueTrac, new chrome lowers and Arlen Ness cow bells.

For bars, I went with Wild1 Chubby 12" Outlawz. I've already wired them and installed Heat Demon grip warmers.

I also have to mock up the PYO Chupa fender so that I can get it painted.

There's a load of little things I'll do while I have the bike down the nice thing is it won't be down long.

Pre Shark!!!

02/27/2014: Got the front end torn apart and put back together yesterday. Installed the CCE TourTrac top plate and fork tubes. Installed the Arlen Ness Cow Bells and new chrome lower fork sliders. Installed the "Shark" specific stainless lower ABS brake line. Got the Wild1 Chubby 12" Outlawz on. But most importantly, I got the fairing mounting bracket (foundation) on.

CCE top plate compared to the stock one

If you are running monotubes like I am, you'll need to add another $100 to the cost of the CCE kit for these puppies. They replace the tops of the monotube cartridges to allow for the add two inches of fork tubes.

I really like the Arlen Ness cow bells. They were the first thing my wife noticed when she looked at the bike

Old 02-28-2014, 08:24 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

Great winter wrenching project ! Let us know how you like the CCE triple clamp and what the real world improvements are to handeling with the conversion once you get some miles on it.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:31 AM
Proaction14
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a big project, good luck. One I've often thought about doing. I've seen a few guys on here do it, and they turned out great. I remember an orange or red bike in particular on here someone converted from a SG fairing to a RG fairing that was bad *** when it was done.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:31 AM
Stew Pidaso
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW! You're knocking this out quickly.

You mention the CCE top. What are you gaining over the stocker?

I love your avatar as well.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:41 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,365 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Looks like fun, will be good to see the final result

Old 02-28-2014, 08:42 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

I'll be watching this one Q! Good luck with everything, and it looks like you're off to an awesome start.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:51 AM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Stew Pidaso
WOW! You're knocking this out quickly.

You mention the CCE top. What are you gaining over the stocker?

I love your avatar as well.
The CCE TourTrac adds nearly two inches of clamping force to the top triple tree. CCE claims and others seem to confirm that this improves the overall handling of the bike's front end. The 2014 Harley's have gone to a similar mounting system with larger fork tubes. So there must be something to this. I sure hope to see an improvement, it sure isn't a cheap modification by any means.

Old 02-28-2014, 09:24 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

subscribed... i looked into doing this and had parts list (from redbeard) everything priced and ready to order and left on vaction to TN and accidentally went and traded my SG for RG lol. fastest conversion i ever did lmao. good luck with the build

Old 02-28-2014, 10:01 AM
northeimcustom
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looking good so far! keep us posted as the build continues! and remember, we love pics!

Old 02-28-2014, 12:18 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Q, hat's off to you for taking on such a big and cool project. As with the others, I am looking forward to seeing the final roll out. As a happy "shark" rider, I think you'll be pleased with the look, the ride, and the fact that YOU built it.

Quick Reply: Going Shark!!!