Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12" ape install on flhx !help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 02:30 AM
Cearnhart91
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12" ape install on flhx !help!

I know there are a million threads on this and I can just google it but I still can't find a (good) link, video or anything about installing 12" apes (pyo monkey bars to be exact) on a street glide with abs. A step by step tutorial with pics and good foot notes explaining how it's done right! I have the service manual and everything else I need as far as extended cables and wiring! Is it really that hard of a job. I'm a construction worker and I feel like I can handle this but as far as soldering 20 wires, molex connectors,bleeding breaks, Adjusting clutch I'm just iffy about it! Any help or guidance is appreciated... Thanx!

Old 03-29-2014, 03:00 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

nothing more than the manual is needed really

Old 03-29-2014, 03:01 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 724 Likes on 483 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=724445

Old 03-29-2014, 04:17 AM
Turret_plug
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's pretty easy...... Quit being a girl

Old 03-29-2014, 07:36 AM
RottnRam
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removal of fairing (step by step with photos)

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ep-w-pics.html

I went with Carlini 14" Menace bars. It was not that difficult of a job. Called Namz wire extensions and was fortunate to have them basically in my back yard (road trip). Got a chance to meet the owner, and watched them install the wires (less than a hour from start to finish), no special tools needed, just patience and technique also there was no soldering involved. It was male/ female connections then heat shrink wrap after stock wires were through the bars.

The stock wires were long enough to go through the bars before the extensions for Carlini Menace 14" bars. I have read that several people tried doing the wire extensions prior to going through the bars and had problems where the wires and extensions would become separated inside the bars.

Also you will need to take off the outer protective sleeve on wires prior to running them internally because there is not enough room internally to wire with TBW. Give Namz a call and they will provide you with correct parts and length of wires, don't forget about TBW extension and connection. Color code correct from factory and TBW extensions

NTBW-X12 - 12" Extension w/Matching Wires, 2008-Up Baggers. - $41.99
NHCX-MB08 - 8" Extension w/Matching Wires, ALL Baggers. (Kings, Ultra's & Glides) - $51.99

(1) hour of labor, kept all my hair and no additions of grey hairs - PRICELESS!!!

http://namzcustomcycleproducts.com/

If you are wanting heated grips there will be additional charge and I am sure many more grey hairs!

After watching them do it I am confident that I could have done it but, it gave me a chance for a road trip and a change of scenery.

Last edited by RottnRam; 03-29-2014 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:40 AM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I was also concerned about the know how when I did mine but, its really not that hard. For me, running the clutch cable and the ABS break line was the toughest for me. You need to pretty much take the exhaust off and it cost more time than being complicated.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:11 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't have ABS but as far as bar changes they are not that hard, pulling the wires is gonna be a patience tester and a pita,but well worth it in the end. Just do It
I suggest Guarrilla Cables for extensions, great customer service and product.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:19 AM
bcane98
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to be a "search it ninny-muggins" but there is a ton of info on this site with links to YouTube all within the first page of the search results. Your search should look something like this "ape install", this will bring up several pages of results, I found the first page had all the answers, but you will have to read through them one by one. I researched this topic for about 2 weeks before I even thought about starting. I did bring my bars in for the TBW pull... I just couldn't get the green plug through my LA Chopper Twin Peeks.

If all else fails... find an indy. My local guy said $675 which included labor and parts to install my bars.

I like to think I have a decent working knowledge of my bike with the manual of course... took me about 8 hours to do, but I took my time. The clutch cable took me 4 hours only because I did not know the "squeeze the clutch to pop the tranny cover off" trick until I Googled it 2 hours after I started

PS... There is no step by step tutorial with pics and good foot notes explaining how it's done right. If time is an issue with you... find an indy!

Old 03-29-2014, 09:21 AM
07JakeelwoodHD
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Its a time consuming job..Dont rush take lots of pictures I used namz color coded +8 extensions no soldering but its a PIA taking molex connection apart and a Barnett +8 clutch cable for my W1 10in 578....Joe PS I have pictures of my install but am unable to post the if u want send me ur email and I send them

Old 03-29-2014, 09:30 AM
Cearnhart91
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RottnRam
Removal of fairing (step by step with photos)

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ep-w-pics.html

I went with Carlini 14" Menace bars. It was not that difficult of a job. Called Namz wire extensions and was fortunate to have them basically in my back yard (road trip). Got a chance to meet the owner, and watched them install the wires (less th a hour from start to finish), no special tools needed, just patience and technique also there was no soldering involved. It was male/ female connections then heat shrink wrap after stock wires were through the bars.

The stock wires were long enough to go through the bars before the extensions for Carlini Menace 14" bars. I have read that several people tried doing the wire extensions prior to going through the bars and had problems where the wires and extensions would become separated inside the bars.

Also you will need to take off the outer protective sleeve on wires prior to running them internally because there is not enough room internally to wire with TBW. Give Namz a call and they will provide you with correct parts and length of wires, don't forget about TBW extension and connection. Color code correct from factory and TBW extensions

NTBW-X12 - 12" Extension w/Matching Wires, 2008-Up Baggers. - $41.99
NHCX-MB08 - 8" Extension w/Matching Wires, ALL Baggers. (Kings, Ultra's & Glides) - $51.99

(1) hour of labor, kept all my hair and no additions of grey hairs - PRICELESS!!!

http://namzcustomcycleproducts.com/

If you are wanting heated grips there will be additional charge and I am sure many more grey hairs!

After watching them do it I am confident that I could have done it but, it gave me a chance for a road trip and a change of scenery.
Thank you for the advice, I already purchase the 12" namz kit and tbw! So no soldering with this kit eh! I'm just worried about the buildup in the area where they all connect. Bars are pretty fat so well see what happens. I will probably just try and tackle the job today!

Quick Reply: 12" ape install on flhx !help!