Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the Darkside...now I'm back

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:17 AM
crewser
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Went to the Darkside...now I'm back

I have read all the hype over car tires on motorcycles so I figured I would try it out. Tire Goodyear Eagle RS-A 205-55 16. Here is my review:

Initial thoughts were, WOW, this smooth and you don't feel all the cracks and bumps in the road. Dyna beeds seem to be working after hitting 140Kph. All is good so it seems, time for some twisties to really see the tire performance. I tried some light turns and all is good, so far. This was my frist run so I wanted to break the tire in.

Second run: I noticed some tire flexing from the first run so I bumped the pressure up to 40psi from 38. This run I decided that it was time to push to the limits. I push the bike into a hard right, as the bike starts to lean over its's fine, then I hit the spot just before the boards hit and then it happens. The whole rear end does the little shimmy and it feels like I am loosing it. I back out of the throttle and slow down. I keep riding and every hard turn the tire shimmys at max lean angle.

Results: If you drive like an old man or don't know how to counter stear then the Darkside is for you. If you like to push your 900lb touring bike to it's limits then stick with the bike tire. The car tire is good until about 15-20* lean angle.

PS, I played with the tire pressures and the lower you go the worse it feels and to get the tire to feel somewhat safe the tire pressure is so high you are risking a blowout.

IMHO

The following users liked this post:
Mountainkowboy (10-23-2019)
Old 04-16-2014, 07:24 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Good post...it seems like many people get on the Darkside Bandwagon, but you probably hit the nail right on the head...they drive like old women, so it doesn't matter! To me, if motorcycles worked good with car tires on the rear, manufacturers woulda put 'em on long ago...but good for you for checking it out for yourself and sharing that info!

18deluxerider (10-21-2019)
Old 04-16-2014, 08:31 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,923 Likes on 8,434 Posts

You experienced the side wall flexing on the tire. The MT is designed so the motorcycle can lean deep into curves and still have tread on the road. A bagger isn't really designed to carve canyons and ya don't really need knee pads for going into corners like the crotch rockets.
I'm picking up a 205mm/55/17 Goodyear Eagle tire for my Road Glide this afternoon and should have it mounted and on the bike this evening. I have an FBI fat tire kit on the bike with a 200mm RC Wheels rim. I had one on a chopper back in the late 70s and it worked fine under the conditions of riding listed above.
and I don't think I drive like an old woman. I keep up with pack with the 107 motor.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:35 AM
Rumbles
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome Back, lets forget you ever went to the dark side and be glad you didn't hurt yourself or your bike while you were there!

Old 04-16-2014, 08:45 AM
roadrunner10
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be following this thread with much interest. Been thinking of trying this for a while after hearing many first hand positive reports.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:48 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Be prepared for the True Believers to tell you you're wrong....They're worse than the damn Scientologists.

FWIW, I've heard exactly the same thing from everyone I know who's tried it.

TodPedro (10-21-2019)
Old 04-16-2014, 10:06 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

I won't tell you were wrong, you knew your answer before you started.
I will not run goodyears on 4 wheels for that reason, I'm not at the change point yet, maybe a RK leans more than a Valkyrie, but generals do not react like that.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:06 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the results you clearly found but the "believers" will claim "foul". I think they all live in Kansas and run straight lines???

Old 04-16-2014, 10:09 AM
collin
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of Goldwingers are using run flats, they have a stiffer side wall.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:35 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

My bike doesn't do that.

Lets see now, that makes it one for and one against.

Although I must ask what in G-ds name made you decide to use a Goodyear RSA? Those things suck on cars (ask me how I know.)

I just checked on the Darkside Tire Info Center website (pretty much the bible for which car tires work for a given bike) and there is not a single (not one) case listed of anyone running a RSA.

http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires

But you thought it was good idea, discovered immediately that Darkside doesn't work, took the tire off and started to preach....

hmmm...

edit,
I just went thru all of your posts. Pretty strange that you never once asked for any Darkside advice or even once wrote a post stating you considering trying Darkside. You never even asked for any help when you claim it didn't work.

Does any one else notice a strange odor in this thread?

Last edited by PFWiz; 04-16-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Went to the Darkside...now I'm back