Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'08 Red Sunglo Electra Glide Stndrd FLHT- My FLHX-periment (Bio, Pictures & Mod List)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:53 PM
Choopy
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking '08 Red Sunglo Electra Glide Stndrd FLHT- My FLHX-periment (Bio, Pictures & Mod List)

Let me begin by introducing myself, my name is Chris and I’m from Southside Chicago, Lemont, IL to be exact. My passion for bikes started last year in February when I bought my first cruiser-a Yamaha XVS650 Cruiser. What was an old man’s bike at the time was transformed into my ideal bike with tons of mods, custom paint and endless hours of commitment. With that being said, after a year of riding, I decided it was time to move on to bigger and “better” in a sense that I have never owned a Harley or driven one. In any case 3 weeks ago I bought my first harley-a 2008 Electra glide standard with 54K miles.

The day I bought it in its stock appearance-

Being a mod nut, I have already started modding my bike and have a laundry list of mechanical/maintenance, safety and pure aesthetic things that I want and need done to make this bike really Mine. It is an extensive list and one which I’m sure I will eventually conquer unless I go broke in the process…

Let’s start with safety, the day I bought this bike the front brakes were completely inoperable and it needed to be fixed and they were along with a rear brake job EBC pads and oil change and filter change. She Really needed that oil change, holy smokes was that oil black. Also, thought it would be a good idea if I bought the Haynes manual, what a helping hand that was as well. In any case, moving on to the fun part of the aesthetic modding of the bike!

Thus far I have either done, ordered or anticipate the following mods: Harley rear lowering kit on ebay- pretty simple install, started with 2” drop, decided 3” was the way to go! Went to best buy and got a great deal on a Marine grade sony head unit DSX-MS60 for $100! No brainer (IMO)Also went ahead an ordered, after reading numerous reviews from Phatperformanceparts.com the ARC Audio MPAK 6! Got a good deal $525 compared to $699 on the site. And also got the Hawg wired universal adaptor along with an amplifier mount. I’m beyond Pumped! About hearing this system and setting it up as well!

With the 3" drop and no seat

Close up and completely unfinished new lightbar assy.

My backseat driver LOL

Next up, I knew from the get go this rear end needed a makeover, hence the name of the thread FLHX-periment. I ordered the Kuryakyn Light bar kit 3000 along with an FLHX rear fascia and LED light to go with it. I’m going to remove the big bulky stock light, and get all the unnecessary holes welded and get this rear fender cleaned up, repainted and have it complete the clean look of the rear end!

The stock exhaust is a little to reserved for me so I took it off one night and wanted to hear how it sounds no mufflers-wow, what a difference. My friend suggested that instead of buying an exhaust right away, take the stock mufflers and cut the baffles out with a dremel. That’s tomorrows project and hopefully it sounds good enough for now until I can personally hear some exhaust notes and decide which route I want to go.

Quick Video clip with no mufflers-
http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ch...ee532.mp4.html

The stock seat is comfortable as hell, but lacks any type of style. With that being said, I’m going to keep it for when my girl wants to ride with me but otherwise I bought a Leather Badlander seat from fellow forum member SCJE8 (Steve).The floorboards were practically beat to hell and falling off this bike So I’m getting some custom floorboards made out of diamond plating at my father’s shop. We’ll see how they turn out. Bought some FLHX fairing Side view mirrors as well to clean the look up. This list so far should keep me busy for a few weeks, especially getting the rear fender redone and customized. Give me some time to decide on my next mods.

Speaking of which, have you guys seen these Mammoth 52F wheels- 21” up front and 18” in back-that’s my kind of wheel, I know wheels are personal taste, but I think these wheels will make the bike bold and stand TALL. I love the classic look of white walls, so I’m gonna wrap some new whitewall rubber on these when I get them. I also plan on painting the inner fairing to match the rest of the bike along with buying more Chrome-grips, covers & accessories! But I imagine I’m going to get a lot of that at local swap meets!

The rims I want-
http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/...psa5745e34.jpg

What it will roughly look like, just with all chrome Spokes

Thanks for taking the time to read my long but hopefully not too boring story and I will share the pics of me bringing this bagger to life! I look forward to hearing your thoughts and responses. Thanks again!!

P.S. Here are some pics of my old bike

[/IMG]http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i365/chrisczupta/Yamaha%20VStar%20650%20Project%20Bike/IMG_1588_zps8287066b.jpg[/IMG]

MY BEFORE PICS keep getting denied, so if anyone is remotely interested in the build- I have over 200 pics and some videos here:
http://s1090.photobucket.com/user/ch...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by Choopy; 04-17-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:00 AM
Choopy
Advanced
Exclamation Pics from Tonight

And here's two pictures of her from tonight. As she sits lowered and rear lightbar semi properly installed. Since all the fender work is happening this week, I'm going to drive her to the shop and take her apart there. You can barely see the black cables but they're wrapped around the turn signals. Iphone pics.

Last edited by Choopy; 04-17-2014 at 12:01 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 04-17-2014, 12:23 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Cool.

It probably won't be much of a surprise to you to know that the FLHX is a "Factory Custom" based on common mods riders were doing to the FLHT Standard, which had become the best value of the touring line from the 90's on.

The only real change is the aluminum vs black chrome drivetrain.

Once HD caiught on that they were leaving money on the table, they created teh FLHX and eventually killed off the FLHT...don't feel bad, they killed off the FLHTC too, which has been my fave

you'll be able to get what ever look/style you want starting with that platform

enjoy

Mike

Old 04-17-2014, 12:37 AM
Choopy
Advanced

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Cool.

It probably won't be much of a surprise to you to know that the FLHX is a "Factory Custom" based on common mods riders were doing to the FLHT Standard, which had become the best value of the touring line from the 90's on.

The only real change is the aluminum vs black chrome drivetrain.

Once HD caiught on that they were leaving money on the table, they created teh FLHX and eventually killed off the FLHT...don't feel bad, they killed off the FLHTC too, which has been my fave

you'll be able to get what ever look/style you want starting with that platform

enjoy

Mike
Thanks Mike, yeah they are definitely similar, and what I mean by the FLHXperiment is that I really enjoy the cleaner, smoother and more contemporary look of the street glide versus the bulk of the electra classics for example. I imagine, with time and age ill appreciate those in my next phase.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:49 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

for giggles, here a few pics of my 09 FLHTC same colour:

seat swap, windscreen swap:

tourpak on, 13" shocks

all these bikes share the same basic structure, the only difference is how much plastic hangs on them, speakers and badges.

fun to make it your own

some of my other bikes ( the black '95 FLHTC is gone):

88 FXRp

'53 FLF

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 04-17-2014 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:15 AM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Here is a progression of my 09 FLHT

Still Stock

Some powder coat, apes and stereo.

More powder coat, lowers, air cleaner, wheels, and painted inner fairing.

CVO fender

Last edited by Juice; 04-17-2014 at 05:28 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:26 PM
BDHABT
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice bikes guys.I`m a big FLHT fan.

Attached Thumbnails '08 Red Sunglo Electra Glide Stndrd FLHT- My FLHX-periment (Bio, Pictures & Mod List)-p4140001.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 08:00 PM
houstonhdguy
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by BDHABT
Very nice bikes guys.I`m a big FLHT fan.
I had an 09 FLHT in this same color. Great bike.

Then again, I like black and blue bikes!

Old 04-18-2014, 12:50 PM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet ride,
I bought my 08 in 09 and paid it off a few months ago. The title was the best thing by far I ever got for it. LOL

Old 04-18-2014, 02:54 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

I have always likes the look of the flht. Probably why I bought a flhxs.

Quick Reply: '08 Red Sunglo Electra Glide Stndrd FLHT- My FLHX-periment (Bio, Pictures & Mod List)