Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel moto x pipe installation problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 09:48 PM
harleyflo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Fuel moto x pipe installation problems

Well just installed the x pipe on my bike today.Not to impress with the product.Had a hard time puting the rear pipe tube in .After screwing the nut on i am not sure if its ok.At the front i got one nut thats shows a bit of tread and the other 3 are barely flush.

As for the cross over pipe ,It would not go in because of graphite inside the cross over pipe (oem pipe),had to take a piece out.Now the pipe is loose.Dont know how i am going to fix that.

And finaly the right side muffler was very tight to put in.

I havent tried it to see but i am not confident on exhaust leaks.

Maybe fuel moto shouldnt powder coat the ends were mufflers and cross over pipes goes on.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:12 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Call fuelmoto. Something ain't right???

Old 04-23-2014, 04:26 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

No offense, but did you read the directions? You removed the crossover gasket, so yes, it's going to leak. Mufflers are held on by clamps which compress their flanges, so you're going to have to spread them before reinstalling. It also sounds like you don't have it seated right in the ports.

A phone call to Fuel Moto will get you squared away.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:31 AM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The cross under pipe gasket is problematic in that it has been compressed already. The fact that you removed some to slip the new pipe in is going to cause a leak. The overall fit up of the pipe on the exhaust ports and the alignment is tight. By that I mean the pipe is bent to fit exactly and that, along with aligning the lower clamp at the same time can be tricky. The instructions give pretty clear guidelines to install, but give FM a call if you are still having issues. Had mine off 3 times already for various mods and each time I swear it won't line up. A little patience and it slips right into place.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Old 04-23-2014, 06:12 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Call Fuel Moto. Period! They will help you get it right.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:54 AM
larry bart
Road Master
Received 289 Likes on 112 Posts

The new crossover gasket makes a little easier for $4.00

Old 04-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I use the screaming eagle exhaust gaskets. Seems like the instructions said not to but they work better for me...easier to get the exhaust seated and they don't leak. I use them on almost all exhausts and I've never had a leak...

Old 04-23-2014, 09:28 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyflo
Well just installed the x pipe on my bike today.Not to impress with the product.Had a hard time puting the rear pipe tube in .After screwing the nut on i am not sure if its ok.At the front i got one nut thats shows a bit of tread and the other 3 are barely flush.

As for the cross over pipe ,It would not go in because of graphite inside the cross over pipe (oem pipe),had to take a piece out.Now the pipe is loose.Dont know how i am going to fix that.

And finaly the right side muffler was very tight to put in.

I havent tried it to see but i am not confident on exhaust leaks.

Maybe fuel moto shouldnt powder coat the ends were mufflers and cross over pipes goes on.
If anyone has absolutely any issues with any of our exhaust systems I recommend contacting us and we can walk you thru the install. Also be sure to completely read the instructions, here is a copy for reference: http://www.jackpotmufflers.com/docum.../FM-03-FLH.pdf

The Jackpot head pipes are designed for exact fitment, when installing start with the front primary and when the pipe is positioned and oriented correctly the rear primary will somewhat snap into place. If everything does not line up perfectly at this point stop right there and make sure the clip for the collar is sitting centered in the flange and also check the exhaust gaskets. For gaskets use either the Fuel Moto flat gaskets part # FM-260 or the factory tapered style gaskets. Note: using the incorrect gaskets can/will affect the fitment of the exhaust pipe. Tighten the flange nuts to approx 99 in-lbs, if they are uneven back them off and retighen them in an equal sequence. When installing the crossover as noted in the install instruction it needs to be installed at a 45 degree angle due to the compound bend in this pipe, point the outlet toward the ground slide it on the headpipe and rotate it up into place. If you try to push the crossover on at a right angle it will damage the gasket, the gasket can be picked up from any HD dealer. Again, if any questions come up along the way during installation we are here to help, all channels are open.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 04-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I originally had a problem with mine too but it was just me being impatient.

Fuelmoto may want to consider doing a short video showing how to manipulate the pipe into the correct position.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:46 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

There seems to be a common issue with mankind, not reading instructions (not to say you didnt) but I have seen and repaired numerous exhaust system problems because they werent installed properly. Prebent and compounded angled piping is very tricky to install especially if directions are not followed. Its ok to follow instructions lol!
Fuel motos posted instructions are easy to follow and has highlighted areas to pay particular attention to. I would start all over, follow instructions step by step, and get new gaskets if you feel you really hosed them up, new gaskets are very cheap insurance.
Then you will be done with it for good

Quick Reply: Fuel moto x pipe installation problems