Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hammock seat and "standard" Rider Backrest

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 09:55 AM
hallfleming
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Hammock seat and "standard" Rider Backrest

I loved the standard (52589-09A) backrest on my UC until I put a Hammock seat on. The Hammock sets you back and the backrest feels to be setup for the stock seat that seems more forward to me. I read where guys bent the standard backrest to push it back some.

My question is, would the adjustable backrest (52596-09A) fix the issue? It looks like you can adjust the height and the angle of the backrest pad but does the actual backrest bar recline towards the passenger seating area? I feel like if it was back a inch or two, I'd get the best of the Hammock seat.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Old 07-19-2014, 10:09 AM
hallfleming
Cruiser

Found something interesting here. Looks like if you want to run a solo seat, which I do with my quick connect tour pak kit, you can't run leave the adjustable hardware underneath. Also, someone mentions the standard backrest has a few adjustments on forward and back. Going to the garage to see if that's true...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...back-rest.html

Old 07-19-2014, 10:45 AM
hallfleming
Cruiser

2 discoveries. 1 was that the mount wasn't on the farthest back position. It is now. The other was there's no way you could do a Badlander solo seat with the non-adjustable backrest hardware underneath.

Now that I moved the mount back, my standard backrest works great. Yay me.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:48 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

You cant run the adjustable on the hammock because the frame pushes up the seat mainly for the passenger.
I fixed mine free by cutting the frame down to 1 hole and welding it all back together, works great. If you find the back to close then heat the 2 half inch rods up and bend them to where ever you want.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seat and backrest fitment are very personal, so I don't think anyone can truly answer your question for you. That being said, I have the Hammock seat and adjustable backrest and like the combination very much.

Glad your adjustment worked tho

Old 07-19-2014, 10:51 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
You cant run the adjustable on the hammock because the frame pushes up the seat mainly for the passenger.
I fixed mine free by cutting the frame down to 1 hole and welding it all back together, works great. If you find the back to close then heat the 2 half inch rods up and bend them to where ever you want.
My experience with this combination did not have the complications you mentioned. Are you sure this was a problem and if so, was it particular to your bike rather than universal?