Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Ride Height Do You Prefer: Street Glide vs. Road King/Electra Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 10:09 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Which Ride Height Do You Prefer: Street Glide vs. Road King/Electra Glide?

I have a 2011 Street Glide with Bitubo shocks in the rear (stock Street Glide length, 300mm) and Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 front suspension. The overall ride height of this bike is ~1" lower than a stock HD Touring bike, such as a Road King or Electra Glide.

Thanks to the above aftermarket suspension, I have no complaints regarding ride comfort or handling, even with the reduced ride height.

However, the bike does occasionally bottom out when exiting a driveway or parking lot when making a sharp turn. When riding two-up, the rear shocks will also occasionally bottom out when going over a large pothole, etc (I'm being fussy here, Folks. The bike rides exceptionally well).

I'm now considering going with full length Bitubos in the rear (330mm), but it would be an expensive endeavor.

What is there to be gained by switching from a Street Glide sized shock (300mm) to a full length rear shock (330mm)?

Thanks

Old 07-22-2014, 10:41 PM
rsarno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I came from a Heritage to a RK and love it ... however, my bud has a Road Glide with a RoadZeppelin air seat and the height is just amazing. I love every bit of it.

But i didnt want a fairing, so RK it is for me

Old 07-22-2014, 11:17 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I took off those stock 12" shocks from my '06 SG almost immediately. They were back breakers. I put on 13" shocks that were take offs from an ultra classic. Day and night difference.
My advice, get the standard height 13" shocks and you won't regret it.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:21 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
I took off those stock 12" shocks from my '06 SG almost immediately. They were back breakers. I put on 13" shocks that were take offs from an ultra classic. Day and night difference.
My advice, get the standard height 13" shocks and you won't regret it.
I understand that the 13" give a better ride, when using HD components.

However, the Bitubos, even the 12", give an amazing, plush ride.

I'm looking to see if there is any additional benefit to going to a full length Bitubo.

Thanks

Old 07-23-2014, 12:05 AM
SR90
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer your original question, the stock 13" shocks of the ultra will have more travel and cushion the ride more than the 12" SG shocks. There is the difference in static height too. I have an 07 ultra and rode a friend's 07 SG all day. Mine was more comfortable, it sat up (slightly) higher but more travel in the bumps. I didn't notice the height difference all that much, suspension travel, yes.

I have since moved to progressive 444 shocks in the rear, even better.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:08 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SR90
To answer your original question, the stock 13" shocks of the ultra will have more travel and cushion the ride more than the 12" SG shocks. There is the difference in static height too. I have an 07 ultra and rode a friend's 07 SG all day. Mine was more comfortable, it sat up (slightly) higher but more travel in the bumps. I didn't notice the height difference all that much, suspension travel, yes.

I have since moved to progressive 444 shocks in the rear, even better.
Comfort aside, to they handle equally well in turns?

Or does the 13" shock handle better in sweepers?

Thanks

Old 07-23-2014, 12:12 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

I use 13's when touring, 12's in town.

OP your front end reduces your options unless you restore the stock height.

mike

Old 07-23-2014, 12:14 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I use 13's when touring, 12's in town.

OP your front end reduces your options unless you restore the stock height.

mike
I know. That's why it's such a costly endeavor.

Does the stock 13" ride height handle any better than the 12" height, or is it just more comfortable?

Thanks

Old 07-23-2014, 12:50 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

some say no- but...

increased ride height gives more lean angle.

the comfort when touring is much better- thats why i swap shocks...50% more suspension travel...add in that is also takes longer in time for the suspension to move from each extreme of the travel.

for me to comfortably do 8 to 10 hour days in the saddle, day after day, I need comfort. An Ultra seat and the 13's with correct air pressure.

when in town and in the saddle for only a few hours at a time, 12's and a flhx or solo seat are fine ƒor me

mike

Old 07-23-2014, 01:20 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I lowered my seat so I can reach the ground flat-footed, so I'm prob close to the same height of a SG. It depends on your height I suppose.

Quick Reply: Which Ride Height Do You Prefer: Street Glide vs. Road King/Electra Glide?