Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a portacath?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 04:18 PM
GeorgeH
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a portacath?

When riding the movement from my shirt rubs the skin over the portacath and becomes irritated. I tried using a bandage / tape to cover it but my problem is that also irritates when I pull it off for a while. What do you do about it? I have tried tucking my shirt in tight but the wind still blows my shirt in that area.

Old 07-23-2014, 04:39 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

While I do not have a port, I'll make a suggestion. A tens unit uses various size pads that have a sticky gel backing unlike bandage tape and does not cause irritation. Could you buy one of these pads and apply it over your port? Do a google search for various size pads.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:38 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

I don't have one, but do have experience with various types of medical "overlays"
After trying everything available in the pharmacies, I found an excellent product that I use to keep medical patches in place. ALL the others were really irritating my skin, especially when taking them off. I'd end up tearing the skin away, and causing all sorts of problems.

Amazon.com: Bioclusive Transparent Dressings #2463 (4x5"""") (by the Each)"""": Health & Personal Care Amazon.com: Bioclusive Transparent Dressings #2463 (4x5"""") (by the Each)"""": Health & Personal Care

I have to use these mostly in the summer as the heat causes the glue to fail on the patch, then it falls off, and I'm not getting the meds.
Also use them in the shower, another place the patch might fall off.
These are absolutely necessary for me to get the meds at the proper rate, and have used them for almost 10 years.

IF, you leave them on for too long they will also cause some irritation, but if you change them often, it's not a problem. There are sticky across the entire membrane, not just the edges, so I'm not sure if you could use them in your situation.
Hope this helps

Oh, I found that the pads they give you with tens machines are HORRIBLE to use, the glue is way to strong, and you end up tearing skin if left on for too long. Plus, it was next to impossible to get the dirty layers of glue around the edges off, especially if used on the back, hard to get to, and that glue was like impossible to get off.

They are cheaper if you buy 50, I'm lucky, my patch maker gives them out for free!

If you want, I could send you a couple to try out, let me know.

Last edited by Ragtop; 07-23-2014 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:10 PM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about trying a Tegaderm dressing? They come in different sizes. They're clear, stick well, but are also pretty easy to remove. I've used them for years at work, and I think I saw only a couple people have any kind of reaction, and even then it was only mild. You could also try something like an snug fitting Under Armour type shirt. Just a couple of ideas...

Amazon Amazon

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/e...pid1253237-025

Old 07-23-2014, 06:38 PM
2014streetglide
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Could you try wearing a leather vest? It should hold your shirt down and is heavy enough to not blow around in the wind. I know they seem hot but I just started wearing one while riding and taking it off when I stop.

Old 07-23-2014, 07:30 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I have a G-Tube. I have tried everything and I found that leaving it loose with a one size up shirt and vest extenders is only thing that works. We are all different, and what works for me may not work for you. But loose and free is the only thing that I can tolerate.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:34 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have one, but a friend of mine that used to fly has one. How long have you had it for? Jim has had his for a little over a year. When he got his, he also retired and started riding much more. He says it took six months for his skin to toughen up and shirts not to irritate. His is on his right chest and he wears the "wife beater" under shirts and said that helped him. Other than that, I could see getting some of the larger tens pads or defib pads might do the trick.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:10 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have had one for three years now. It has had so many holes punched in it, it's pretty numb now, so I really don't feel anything. I do see how it can be a problem though. The vest seem like it would work.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:23 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,347 Likes on 3,281 Posts

I sell medical supplies and I would say a foam dressing like a 2x2 or 4x4 with silicone adhesive or now called easy release adhesive might be the trick...I would say the graders clear but some react to it...the new silicone might work...

Old 07-24-2014, 07:42 AM
GeorgeH
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have only had it since May. I am defiantly going to try the suggestions so far and some irritation is not going to keep me off the bike.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a portacath?